"Death Proof" and CCW

This is a discussion on "Death Proof" and CCW within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In the Quentin Tarantino film "Death Proof" (originally part of the pseudo double feature "Grind House"), there is a scene where four women are sitting ...

Thread: "Death Proof" and CCW

VIP Member

"Death Proof" and CCW

In the Quentin Tarantino film "Death Proof" (originally part of the pseudo double feature "Grind House"), there is a scene where four women are sitting at a table discussing various things. One of the characters mentions that she carries a pistol for self defense...I am trying to find the exact quotes, but there were some pretty funny (and apt) reasons for CCW advanced. Here is some of what I remember (sans the overwhelming profanity, it IS a Tarantino movie, after all) for your enjoyment.

Abbie: There are other things you could carry besides a gun, you know... How about pepper spray?
    Kim (CCW girl): If some blankity-blanker tries to rape me, I want to shut him down, not give him a skin rash!
    Abbie: Well, how about a knife, at least?
    Kim: You know what happens to blankity-blankers that carry a knife, don't you? Don't you? Blankity-blankers get SHOT, that's what happens...

There were more - maybe some other posters remember them better. It was actually a strong pro-CCW position, couched in funny and profanity-laced dialogue.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

yeah, i caught that too! Then at the end of that movie, that part more precisely, she uses it to protect herself and to dispatch the bad guy
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    I was wondering where she kept that "roscoe" concealed, considering her outfit (them jeans were a might tight for an N-frame revolver, no?), but it was a good scene (the "why I carry" scene) and overall a good film - though I bet a lot of the references and homage pieces were lost on most folks...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

yeah, Big Kahuna Burger, Cherry Cigs and others are references, I think I remember cowboy too from the scene at Jack Rabbit slims in Pulp Fiction being in Death Proof too
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    There are a bunch you wouldn't get unless you are an American child of the seventies... There's a line from the "Mr. Microphone" commercial, for instance, as well as dozens of references to 70s B-movies, sex-ploitation flicks, blacks-ploitation flicks, and, well, grind-house flicks...

Then, of course, there were a BUNCH of references to other Tarantino films, and the "Tarantino-Brand" things like Big Kahuna Burger, Red Apple cigs, and so on... The whole thing was almost one long in-joke. I'm sure there were tons more that I missed, as well...

Lee: You carry a gun?
    Kim: Uh-Huh.
    Lee: Do you have a license to carry it?
    Kim: Yeah, when I became a secret service agent, they gave me a license.
    Lee: Oh, I didn't know you were... Ok. I didn't say it. Stop looking at me. I didn't say it. God! Did you know Kim carried a gun?
    Abernathy: Yes. Yeah. Do I approve? No. Do I know? Yes.
    Kim: I don't know what futuristic utopia you live in, but in the world I live in, a ___ need a gun.
    Abernathy: You can't get around the fact that people who carry guns, tend to get shot more than people who don't.
    Kim: And you can't get around the fact that if I go down to the laundry room in my building at midnight enough times, I might get my ___ raped!
    Lee: Don't do your laundry at midnight.
    Kim: ___ that! I wanna do my laundry whenever the ___ I want to do my laundry.
    Abernathy: There are other things you can carry other then a gun. Pepper spray.
    Kim: Uh, ________ tryin to rape me, I don't want to give him a skin rash. I wanna shot that ___ down!
    Abernathy: How about a knife at least.
    Kim: Yeah, you know what happens to ______ who carry knives. They get shot! Look, if I ever become a famous actress, I won't carry a gun. I'll hire me a dude dirt ___ and he'll carry the gun, and when __ goes down, I'll sit back and laugh, but until that day, it's wild west ______!

... good movie. i liked it

VIP Member
    Thanks, friesepferd!

Links