Question for Kentucky folks

This is a discussion on Question for Kentucky folks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I want to go deer hunting in Kentucky next year. I did a little research, but the site I found is hard to navigate. 1. ...

Thread: Question for Kentucky folks

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I want to go deer hunting in Kentucky next year. I did a little research, but the site I found is hard to navigate.

1. When is the season?
    2. How much are non-resident permits?
    3. Are there state game lands?
    4. Can I hunt in state parks?
    5. Bag limits?

Here is the link that will tell you everything you need to know.

http://fw.ky.gov/Navigation.asp?cid=151

I live in northern Kentucky and out in the country and our deer and turkey populations are just incredible. We usually don't give state agencies any credit but I think our fish and wildlife department does a tremendous job. For example, the reintroduction of turkey and elk has been a huge success. On that site you can even check the Telecheck results and see a breakdown of the harvests for each county. Hope you do get a chance to hunt with us. I know you won't be disappointed. Took a buck that grossed 159 1/8 B&C two years ago and he netted 149 1/8. Our bucks are really coming along. Hope this gets you started on the right path!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Please come to this part of Ky and take at least a couple of the things back home with you. They are EVERYWHERE!!!! My back yard included. If I liked to eat them My freezer would stay stocked all the time.

In case the link didn't get it, rifle season tends to be the 2nd Saturday in November every year. Not sure if they are going to change it or not.

Non-resident licenses are kinda pricey, I remember it being somewhat steep, but not how much specifically.

There are state game lands, although I'd recommend you trying to find a nice farmer that doesn't mind you harvesting some of his deer.

Game limits vary by area of the state. Most of the state is one antlered deer and as many antlerless deer as you want to buy tags for. Or at least in Pendleton and Mercer counties where I hunt. I seem to remember the rest of them being mostly the same from the hunting guide.

I see where your location says Penn. Not sure if you get into KY or not, but if you do, the Fish & Wildlife folks put out a pretty good hunting guide that's free in just about every gun store, Walmart, and sporting goods store. If you don't, once the 2008 one releases, I can mail you one.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

SammyIamToday.. you hunt in Pendleton? That's mighty close to my neck of the woods... I'm in Bracken County. Worked in Pendleton at Wyatt's grocery there in Falmouth through college. Good call on the tip about picking up a hunting guide at a store... forgot about those.

coffeecup... I'm sure you get this a ton but whenever I hear Cadiz, Ky I think of Knight and Hale. They put you guys on the map! ha!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Please come to this part of Ky and take at least a couple of the things back home with you. They are EVERYWHERE!!!! My back yard included. If I liked to eat them My freezer would stay stocked all the time.
    Here in Woodford County, too! You'd better hurry, tho...the season ends Sunday. Last night, I counted 26 does and four big bucks on the back of our property near the creek.

It seems like there is really a HUGE influx of whitetail this year, and I'm worried about spring plantings. Farmers in our family have to thin things out on a regular basis, even off season (which is legal, as long as you're on your own land).

Our deep freeze is full of some really great stuff, and we can't hold anymore!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    SammyIamToday.. you hunt in Pendleton? That's mighty close to my neck of the woods... I'm in Bracken County. Worked in Pendleton at Wyatt's grocery there in Falmouth through college. Good call on the tip about picking up a hunting guide at a store... forgot about those.
    Kind of a bump, but missed this reply.

My uncle has a farm right inside the Pendleton line outside of Williamstown. Some big deer come out of that county for sure. I know that Wyatts well. I grew up in Sunrise on a farm there. Only about 12 miles from Falmouth.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

SammyIamToday...good to hear from ya. Boy, like they say... sure is a small world. Hey, have you ever been to Buds Gun Shop there in Paris? It's not too far from you. I've past by there a hundred times but never thought they would have much in that store. Then one of the guys on here posted the website and I checked it out and to my amazement they have ANYTHING you would ever want. Thinking seriously about going there and checking on a Kimber Ultra CDP II. My usual gun store is Pappy's Armory there in Falmouth, KY. Bought about 10 guns from him and he's as honest as they come... really good guy. Any other awesome stores you know of around Lexington? Thanks and Merry Christmas!
    Allen

Buds is good. Go during the week and not on the weekend though. The place is a zoo on Saturdays and the staff are much more friendly when it's not a zoo.

I remember Pappy's. Never bought anything from him, but have stopped in a few times.

If you make it to Lexington, I like Evans' Firearms and Archery a lot. They get most of my business. Best prices in town that I've seen. There's a new Sportsman's Warehouse in Hamburg, but I haven't been there and want to stick with Evans. They treat me well and deserve the business.

Hope your family had a very Merry Christmas as well.

Thanks for the tip on going during the week. Bet that will save me a headache. Now you have me intrigued about Evan's. Who says guys don't like to shop???
    Allen

Sponsored Links