My Turn To Rant: Irresponsible Carriers - Page 2

My Turn To Rant: Irresponsible Carriers

This is a discussion on My Turn To Rant: Irresponsible Carriers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by kazzaerexys Now, the good news is he had a serious looking retention holster for his sidearm (thing looked like a damned safe ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Now, the good news is he had a serious looking retention holster for his sidearm (thing looked like a damned safe hanging off his hip ),
    The down side is that those retention holsters require a fair bit of practice if you want to; a.: Get the gun out in a reasonable amount of time, b.: Get the gun out at all.

Hope he practices!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I would like to respectfully point out that I work in the same building as BigEFan, my name is John, I am not a security guard. The John BigE is referring to is a nice guy, but totally unaware!
    I'm sure glad you clarified that, swifty!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I would like to respectfully point out that I work in the same building as BigEFan, my name is John, I am not a security guard. The John BigE is referring to is a nice guy, but totally unaware!
    Oh darn and I was having a good laugh just thinking it was you..
    Here in the Philippines most if not all the security guards are the same as your " John " it is really sad. On top of that the ones that do carry have empty firearms !! They sell their bullets for extra money I'm told.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Administrator
    I've seen that also. The totally lackadaisical "security" guard.
    It's a fact of life I guess.
    Mundane daily routine holding hands with complacency makes for a Condition White security guard.
    Not sure what you can do about it save for either reporting him or asking him if he has a computer...and suggesting to him that he join DefensiveCarry.com.
    We might be able to shape him up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I know John. John was a friend and neighbor. Here's what you don't know about John, since I never worked with him, but knew the other side.

John took the job, not to be a protector, but because armed security pays better than unarmed security. He took a rather short course, maybe 20 hours, to become an armed security guard. Think NRA Basic pistol with hours spent on the liability of shooting someone. Basically they try to scare the armed security guards about their gun so that they won't use it.

John may only own one gun. It is the one he had to buy to be an armed security guard. He bought a cheap one, but it looks like ones they have in the movies so it's good. John practices the week before his qualification test or recertification test. He practices until he thinks he is good enough to pass the test, maybe 20 shots. The test isn't to tough you know.

The other reason John took the job is so he can do other stuff while getting paid for it. He will follow the policy manual and will make rounds if required, but the rest of the time is his to read magazines, smoke, raid the fridge in the kitchen etc.

John is a social person and likes talking with people. One of the reasons he doesn't mind the job. John's hoping that he will find something else that pays better, but he isn't looking very hard. John became a repo man at one point before deciding all that was not his thing (guns pointed at him) and he went to retail.

John really doesn't care about conditions of awareness levels, practicing with hundreds of rounds of ammunition, dry fire practice or drawing from his holster. He wants to watch cartoons on TV, hang out and work on cars.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

If you want to blame someone, blame the company he works for. One of my business contacts runs some high level executive security but also formerly ran an armed security agency. His employees used to gripe about the level of training he maintained and the fact that he and his supervisors were often checking them and even "sneaking" up on them to keep them on their toes. I applaud him for his efforts. Most security companies just want you certified and then you're just another warm body to charge for. The EMPLOYER needs to change it's attitude and training standards before the employee is going to change.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

AMH
    This post has got me thinking.

I patronize 2 different financial institutions here in town. The first is where I maintain my checking and savings account. They allow concealed weapons in their facility and I always carry when ever I have to go there.

The second bank is where I maintain my car loans. This institution does NOT allow concealed weapons in their building. Consequently I do all of my banking on-line in order to avoid the place. But on the rare occasion I sometimes have to go into the place, and always disarm before going into the building. They have a security guard, but he is a bit of a nincompoop. He is over weight and probably couldn’t outrun a sloth. Additionally he keeps he face buried in a newspaper. He has absolutely zero situational awareness. I could probably sneak up on him and give him a wet-wily before he knew I was there!

After reading this post I have good mind to talk to the banks management about the situation.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Administrator
    I LOVE the banks in my area that now have unarmed security guards.
    I've never seen a badge that could stop a bullet.
    I would never bank in an establishment that I could not carry into.
    Luckily I can carry in both here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The new holsters I use for my Glock’s only allows for drawing straight up. Thus someone grabbing it from the side would have a hard time.

I would hope your Governmental security guard was using the same type of holster.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    When I lived in NY, there were a few times I walked up behind a LEO at Dunkin Donuts, KFC, McD's, etc. and was able to take a good long look at their gun and holster without them noticing me. Sometimes I've wanted to see if I could snatch it. But there's no explaining yourself after that. :) I usually say something nice about their gun, and every one of them has noticably jumped/flinched.

Now, to be fair, I do walk softly if my shoes aren't wet and squeaking. It's not intentional, it's just the way I walk. I can't count the number of times I've startled people unintentionally by walking up to them and then saying something.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I LOVE the banks in my area that now have unarmed security guards.
    If I were inclined to be particularly cynical today, I might say something like, the great thing about unarmed security guards is that they soak up the BG's first few rounds while you are getting your gun out of its holster... Do they at least get vests???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links