Ice storm knocked out our power......

This is a discussion on Ice storm knocked out our power...... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The power went off yesterday (12-11-07) at about 5am. We still had no power. In fact the whole town was out (Savannah, MO) We have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice storm knocked out our power......

The power went off yesterday (12-11-07) at about 5am. We still had no power. In fact the whole town was out (Savannah, MO)

We have about an inch off ice. Temp right now is 25 degrees. In side our house is 49. (brrrr) We stayed at my wifes grandfrathers house. He has a propane heater so we stayed warm and listened to my radio for most of the night.

This morning, the power is on here where I work. Unfortunately, the server is down so, we can't do anything anyways. But we are here.

I have quite a few pictures at home that I will post when I get power again.

For those of you that are wondering.......I had plenty of light.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Glad your doing ok. That is one good thing about having at least a gas heater in your house. In 2000 when we had bad ice storm here and were without power for a week or so, by closing down the rooms we didn't need, I was able to keep the rest of the house at a comfortable 65 degrees. The fish were the only ones that suffered.

Sounds like you all need to just head back home since there is no work to be done, and start running saws to get all the debris cleaned up. I don't envy what you all have to look forward to on the cleanup side of things after this passes. Stay safe.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well, being the unofficial IT guy here, I got the server running again......I don't know why I tried to fix it but I did and now I have stuff to do. :(

You are right, clean up will NOT be fun. Still, I will have my work cut out for me this weekend. At least my dad will have some firewood for next year.

Power company is saying it could be 1-3 days before we get power back.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Glad you're ok. Stay safe and stay warm. A few words to that effect: Wood stove and Firewood! I suppose you could substitute Pellet stove for Wood stove since supposedly Pellets are more efficient. I've got an old Black Bart Wood stove with a built in blower that just cranks out the heat.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm deffinately going to do something different for next year. I don't know if I will put a wood stove in the basement or what I'm going to do but I will deffinately get something figured out.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I had to go through the same thing a couple of years ago with the ice. Luckily, I had two kerosene heaters and they sure cranked out the heat. Items like this sure aren't fun to buy but when you need them you really need them. Hang in there!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

82 for high to day.......
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Ice storms are the worst. We had a nasty one here about 8 years ago and they had to call out the NG and declare a state of emergency. So far this year we only have snow. We just got more of that last night. But I'll take 5 feet of it over an ice storm.

Last December we went 7 days without power in the St. Louis Metro area. Hopefully you get it back soon, because I know how much is blows chunks ....
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    82 for high to day.......
    Ron, you are going to get us in trouble. They are going to come after us and I am already sweaty by doing yardwork and some painting today.

And for the record it is only 80 degrees with 17 mph NE wind.

Clipse, take care of yourself buddy!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    My folks are in the same boat. Managing to keep the lowest temps in the main part of the house in the upper 50's with the fireplace and other assorted heating devices. Borrowed an extra generator from my Uncle (who still has utilities) and hope to have more than the essentials running soon. Several nice shade trees are total losses (as if home values weren't dropping enough), but will make nice firewood for the next storm. Burglaries and home-invasions are on the rise in other neighborhoods, but a couple of well-publicized 'failures' near my parents seem to be keeping the criminal element away.
    At least the weather has improved - 33deg, raining with a steady north wind. Paradise.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Sounds like the norm in this area. I have wood heat as my primary, oil secondary, plenty of stored water, and a generator if needed for power.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Glad your doing ok . Here in se colorado we had a bit of ice , then a bit of snow , the normal southerners on bald tires had the normal wrecks. Its just a mild storm thro here , but i understand its bad south and east of us .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I feel for you as I remember the great ice strom of 98 in Maine we were out of power for 13 days.I used a kero sun heater to heat my house.We purchased
    generator on day 12, showered at work.That whole event cost my family
    a freezer full of food,refrigerator full of food,frozen septic tank. What a bummer! We see that on T.V. and wife and I say poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Ron, you are going to get us in trouble. They are going to come after us and I am already sweaty by doing yardwork and some painting today.

And for the record it is only 80 degrees with 17 mph NE wind.

Clipse, take care of yourself buddy!
    82'?...I knew I should have moved farther south...it's only going to be 80' here tomorrow...
    Oh well, I guess it's the 'long' shorts for me...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links