New weekend project anyone?

This is a discussion on New weekend project anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I searched and didn't really find this here so I apologize if it's a duplicate. I thought you guys might find this one interesting given ...

Thread: New weekend project anyone?

New weekend project anyone?

I searched and didn't really find this here so I apologize if it's a duplicate. I thought you guys might find this one interesting given it's home-brew nature:
    http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=8132

Basically these enterprising folks built a software controlled airsoft sentry for next to nothing($$). I'm halfway tempted to modify the instructions they provide and substitute my little P22(the real one, not the airsoft) for giggles and grins. Might take me a bit(read months) to get it right, but might be a worthwhile weekend project as money becomes available. Any thoughts?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That is really cool. The airsoft gun would be for me. I can't think of a place on my property that I would feel comfortable having a computer fire a real gun though. That would seem dangerous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    That is really cool. The airsoft gun would be for me. I can't think of a place on my property that I would feel comfortable having a computer fire a real gun though. That would seem dangerous to me.
    I don't think this one is totally computer controlled. It looks like they have some sort of manual switch in it. Besides with a limited range of motion and a video camera to keep an eye on what you're shooting I'm not too concerned.

My issue is with one part of the design itself. It looks like he uses 2 servos for motion and one for firing. The problem is that he's not acutally pulling the trigger. The 3rd servo is flipping a switch to fire the airsoft electrically. So I'd have to rig up a system to pull the trigger. I'm still trying to figure out why he used a 16 servo controller though when the same company makes a smaller 8 servo one with generally the same specs just less controls for about $25 as opposed to the 16 one for $80.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I think thats good fun. Wish I could think of a valid (legal) use for a remote firearm platform. I might make one for SHTF, but it'll be a longgun probably on a mobile platform. That is sometime in the future. 2 or 3 completely separate safeties is a must (meaning 2 seperate transmitters have to each unlock their own safeties)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I don't think this one is totally computer controlled. It looks like they have some sort of manual switch in it. Besides with a limited range of motion and a video camera to keep an eye on what you're shooting I'm not too concerned.

My issue is with one part of the design itself. It looks like he uses 2 servos for motion and one for firing. The problem is that he's not acutally pulling the trigger. The 3rd servo is flipping a switch to fire the airsoft electrically. So I'd have to rig up a system to pull the trigger. I'm still trying to figure out why he used a 16 servo controller though when the same company makes a smaller 8 servo one with generally the same specs just less controls for about $25 as opposed to the 16 one for $80.
    Oh, phew. I thought it was a target acquisition and automatic firing setup. Yeah, someone controlling it remotely would definitely work.

As far as pulling a trigger, you could set up the 3 servo to run an actuator that would squeeze the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Oh, phew. I thought it was a target acquisition and automatic firing setup. Yeah, someone controlling it remotely would definitely work.

As far as pulling a trigger, you could set up the 3 servo to run an actuator that would squeeze the trigger.
    Yeah I found one where a college kid and his little brother built a really detailed unit that did it's own target acquisition etc.... He ended up starting his own company to work on the project full time.

-The Mist (2007)

Now if you could mount this on top of a Rhumba vacuum, you might have something - a clean floor AND a p.o.ed cat!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    Now if you could mount this on top of a Rhumba vacuum, you might have something - a clean floor AND a p.o.ed cat!
    Yeah...you probably shouldn't have told me that. My sister has a couple of annoying furballs. Hmmm....

-The Mist (2007)

Somehow, I think this would meet the criteria for "entrapment" .... it would definitely be a cool project, though. I used to have a little device that would fire a blank 12g shell when a trip wire was pulled - used it for a driveway alarm, lol.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Somehow, I think this would meet the criteria for "entrapment" .... it would definitely be a cool project, though. I used to have a little device that would fire a blank 12g shell when a trip wire was pulled - used it for a driveway alarm, lol.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    remind me again what this has to do with entrapment?

Entrapment: A legal defense term used to demonstrate that the police induced an otherwise unwilling person to commit a crime.

-The Mist (2007)

Links