Heavy trigger pull during slumber

This is a discussion on Heavy trigger pull during slumber within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been around for a while, but rarely post, as I am a firm believer that the best way to learn is to listen. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy trigger pull during slumber

Heavy trigger pull during slumber

I've been around for a while, but rarely post, as I am a firm believer that the best way to learn is to listen. I am thankful to be a member of this community, and since I have great faith in your opinions, I'd like to throw out a problem that has been bothering me.

Every so often, (about 5 times a year or so), during my dreams, I will encounter a BG, and as I try to shoot at him, I can't get my gun to fire. He continues to approach and I've got both hands wrapped around my gun, trying to squeeze the heavy trigger. I'm sure that I've shot him a few times over the years, but the issue has recently started to bother me.

I initially dismissed the obvious, that my subconscious is telling me that perhaps I'm not mentally ready to take a life. I am a staunch supporter of capital punishment and overall harsh punishment for scumbags of all kinds; therefore, I'm having issues with that argument. However, as my very pro-2A boss () coached me today, it really does make sense that the heavy trigger is a metaphor for my ability, for whatever reason, to do what I have signed up to do.

What are some of your opinions, do you feel that dreams like this carry any weight in real life, and do any of you have dreams similar to this?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I'll bet you're shooting a DAO in your dream... GEt a 1911!!! In all seriousness, I think you might be psyching yourself out. Seek more quality training and that will build confidence and you will stop that BG. The achieve, you must believe.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

dreams are a very interesting thing. sometimes they reflect what we really feel, but often they do not.
    i know many people that have dreamed about, for example, cheating on their spouse, but they never would. or killing kittens, etc
    Its also very possible that you are having this dream not because deep down inside you cant do it, but deep down inside you know you have to, and you have a fear that for some reason you may not be able to (not necessarily mentally).

one more example of how dreams dont necessarily mean anything:
    i have a friend that for her entire life, as long as she can remember, has had the same dream- everyone turns into random fruits/ veggies, and rolls down the street. she has this dream ALL the time.
    explain that for me.

edit: yes actually my first thought to reading this as well was that you need to switch from a DAO to a 1911

edit #2: is it a little kel tec? my friend has one that you can pull the trigger all the way back, and the hammer wont drop.

Simple----it's not worth wasting a bullet on a dream. LOL Seriously--I don't dream, or I don't remember them. Hidden meanings? Possibly. Only you can answer those questions or overcome your dilemma.

Ha, FWIW, my main carry is Taurus PT111 but if clothing permits, I'll carry my baby--my SA XD40. I train often, but have had no professional training. Planning to attend FrontSight this summer and continue training in the future.

And since I know this won't get out... I thought I was the only one that had that fruit/vegetable dream...

Freud might say that your dream represents some problem or concern in your waking life. As an example, since you are trying to shoot someone, this could represent repressed anger. Another example would be that the failure to pull the trigger could represent some real life failure or fear of failure (work, social, family, etc).

There is not enough information in your post (and I don't really want to know and I am not qualified) to give a real answer.

Or you might just dream about guns because you like them.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Freud would tell you that if your gun doesn't fire, you've got some sexual issues that you need to come to terms with.
    For me the big question is...what happens? Does the BG keep coming forever? Does he finally do something, make physical contact, give you a wink?
    I used to have a recurring theme where I would be punching someone in my dreams, but my punches had no power. I could have done more damage with a feather pillow. It was never the same person or situation, but the end was always the same - we would both be pulled away by the same person at the same time (could have been twins, clones, split personalities - I don't know).
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

This is actually a very common dream theme for those who carry handguns or, perhaps more accurately, those with the defensive mindset who carry handguns.

I have had these types of dreams over and over for many years and, like you, I wasn't sure what they meant, if they meant anything at all. To be honest, I really didn't give them too much thought - they're just dreams, right?

I attended Dave Grossman's Bullet Proof Mind seminar a couple years ago and he asked the audience (about 150 in attendance and all LE types) this: How many of you have the dream where you need to shoot and you cannot get your gun out or it doesn't work for some reason? Much to my surprise, almost everyone in the room raised their hand.

He finished up with: This is your subconscious telling you that you need to practice. When the dreams occur, go practice your shooting skills. The dreams will either go totally away for a period of time or you will be able to get your gun out and it works.

I have since been asking the same question during our training classes and most everyone reports experiencing it at least once.

mtnfreak: do you engage in some kind of boxing or other fighting sport? Perhaps if you practice, the dreams will change.

Randy

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    mtnfreak: do you engage in some kind of boxing or other fighting sport? Perhaps if you practice, the dreams will change.

Randy
    Haven't had this type of dream in years. In my estimation, the 'cure' was not a physical, but mental change.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Administrator
    I would say it probably wouldn't hurt to get some shooting time in on some B-27 or equivalent human form targets.
    Sure couldn't hurt any.

Certainly dreams do mean things but, are often no more than getting the attic cleared out of accumulated clutter.

Many years ago I had a couple of dreams where I was getting stabbed in the side and less than a week later I had appendicitis attack.
    So obvious my body was somehow trying to rationalize or make sense out of this actual pain that I was getting when I was asleep.
    The stabbing pain turned into a real stabbing in my sleep.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    Haven't had this type of dream in years. In my estimation, the 'cure' was not a physical, but mental change.
    Yes, it is a mental thing, without a doubt. Shooting is a perishable skill, one that you need to practice every once in a while in order to remain proficient. The act of shooting (practicing) mentally reaffirms your ability to do so.

Randy

I sometimes have the same dreams. However I also had dreams where I can't open my eyes, and I'm almost posotive that when I sleep on my face. So sometimes there isn't anything more than you're lying on your hand and your body can't decipher between real and imagined.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

Our dreams can take us to times, and places we have never been before, but the images are always from our past experiences. Sure they can come from TV or movies we have watched, just as they can come from seeing it for real.

While I am no expert on dreams, I will inset the reason you are having a hard time pulling the trigger on a BG is that you have never done it in real life.

Donít worry about it. Lord willing that day will never happen. And if it does, youíll know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklioso View Post
    I can't get my gun to fire. He continues to approach and I've got both hands wrapped around my gun, trying to squeeze the heavy trigger.
    Are you sure the safety is off? That is how my HK USP feels when the safety is still on.

The dream I used to have (back when I was in school) is that I'm in a fist fight and can't punch. I keep trying to throw the punches but they are really slow and I know they is no strength behind them. I don't know what it means, but it did affect me in waking life. I still feel that I can't throw a punch in real life. I took Judo classes instead of Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc. because of it.

Only you know if it is affecting you, but I am going to recommend 100-200 rounds three times a week for 10 weeks or untl symptoms subside, then a maintenance dosage of 100-200 rounds once a week to prevent re occurrence. This is habit forming and there are some side effects so read up on those, but from the symptoms you have listed it is possible that not treating could be worse.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Interesting... both tye and someone else mentioned the punching dream w/ no power behind it. I used to have to the same one. I'm going to research it and see what i get. Punch

To dream that you are punching someone or something, represents hidden anger and aggression. It may also be a symbol of power and your ability to draw strength from within yourself.

To dream that you are unable to throw a punch, indicates that you are feeling helpless. You may have self-esteem and confidence issues.

To dream that you are drinking punch, represents vitality and renewal.

Fair enough, I used to be a little unconfiedent kid.

GUNS : Guns in dreams have an obvious connection to anger and bad feelings. So if your dream follows some argument or situation in which you have been targeted for criticism or blamed then the gun could have an obvious link. Yet dreams with guns in can be quite complex and have meanings that you would not expect. They can link to moments when you feel inhibited. They may symbolise some argument that you are trying to precisely put across. They may link to moments when you feel singled out(targeted). [KEY WORDS : Inhibited, focusing, confrontation, blamed]

KEY PHRASES(Pick a quote which captures your feelings right now. Think especially of the day before the dream) :
    - "My inhibitions were obvious"
    - "focusing precisely on... "
    - "I told him precisely"
    - "she picks up on every my fault "
    - "The focus was concentrated on her"
    - "I got totally blamed"
    - "there was a confrontation"

just google action
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links