Problems registering on two forums

This is a discussion on Problems registering on two forums within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am having problems registering on two other forums. These would be brand specific forums, and encompass the two brands of pistols that I own. ...

Thread: Problems registering on two forums

Problems registering on two forums

I am having problems registering on two other forums. These would be brand specific forums, and encompass the two brands of pistols that I own. These brand specific forums require some server based e-mail address other than internet based e-mail. My main e-mail is gmail, and I quit my dial-up service from Alltel. Therefore I do not have a server based e-mail anymore. In my opinion, I'm being discriminated against by these two forums. I feel I have a right to interact with folks on similar issues, and quite frankly, it irks me a bit. Entering this post, I was really wanting to post the names of those forum sites in order to give them the publicity they deserve. Out of respect for this site, and realizing it would gain me nothing, I decided against it. I've e-mailed forum administrators from both sites pleading my case. Apparently those e-mails have fallen on deaf ears as I am being ignored. I refuse to be a 'guest, or visitor' to these sites since I am unable to 'officially' register. Any suggestions? Should I just give up on it altogether? I realize how informative this site is, and the members have seemed helpful and respectful. I just think the brand specific sites would add a sharper dimension is all.

2. Remove Ads

Yes you are being discriminated against but I have no problem with it because they are private fourms and can set whatever rules they want to. If you want to post then you have to play by the owners rules. You aparrently use public computers to access the Internet which means that you have are posting anonymously and could flame and troll away without worry of retribution or legalities.

Lead Moderator
    doesn't your internet access provider offer a email addy? Sorry for your troubles, but like FN1910 said, its their forum, their rules.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

What forums require an ISP based email account?

I know at least ar15.com and m4carbine.net do - for a start. There are lots of others too...

Austin

A lot of forums wont allow a hotmail gmail or any other email like that escam opps ebay is the same way .. its supposed to help keep trolls from signing up

I've had problems registering on a few also. I gave up on them.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    Actually you might think you have the right to interact with other folks on their forum but, in reality you don't.
    That does not mean that you don't have a right to be POed about it.
    You do have that right.
    The reality is that forums are private paid for property and they set the rules as to who they will allow to walk in the door.
    They obviously need block the normal avenues and routes used for spamming and trolling and that just happens to exclude you also.
    It's just a necessary reality of today because so many anonymous people are abusing the Internet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    IThese would be brand specific forums, and encompass the two brands of pistols that I own.
    What two manufacturers are you interested in posting/reading about? I am sure that the members could recommend some other forums that would provide you with quality information.

SIG and Glock

If it was your forum, you would want people who would be good citizens. 'Untracable' email addresses tend to be less than optimal netizens...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    SIG and Glock
    Register for a free account at Mail.com and use it to get your email verification to register. Once you are registered you can set your display email to your gmail account, if you want other members to contact you.

You can choose a number of addresses. RamRos@usa.com @mail.com @email.com etc...

You never need to use the registered email unless you want thread notifications, which I never use.

Would it not be just as easy for them to block IP addresses? Update. I found a message in my spam folder this evening. It appears one of the forums will let me in. I'm sure I'll find out later today, as I replied to the verification link. BTW---thanks for the info on Mail.com. I'll check into that.

They get a ton of spam from trolls and bots that use popular free sites to register. They individually banned scores of them and then they just set the no hotmail, gmail, aol,etc policy.

They only do this to try to keep better boards for the members. It makes it a pain for the rest of us, but it keeps the scrubs out.

To the question about blocking IP addresses most people do not have a static IP address so there is no way to fully implement that. You can block aomeone by IP address but it isn't hard for them to get that changed and then there is always the troll using spoofing and nine different accounts to really stir up trouble.

Links