Christmas Rant

This is a discussion on Christmas Rant within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by miklcolt45 Actually, 'Christ' in Greek (original language of the New Testament) is written Xristos (transliteration, since I don't know how to find ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Rant

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Actually, 'Christ' in Greek (original language of the New testament) is written Xristos (transliteration, since I don't know how to find the actual Greek letters on my keyboard). So, it was often like using his initial.

Just my thoughts.

MCL (aka MiklColt45, aka Michael Colt L-----)
    I don't know the exact details but you are correct. The X is not a random letter chosen to shorten Christmas but does have meaning and background so it is not as sacreligious as it would seem. The Greek letter "Chi" is "X" if I remember from my fraternity days so I don't get as upset about it as when I first saw it.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Please allow me to rant as well...I swear if one more politically correct moron tells me "Happy Holidays" I will choke them. Where did this irrational fear of saying "Merry Christmas" come from. Who are we going to offend? They don't celebrate Christmas? SO WHAT! It is still Christmas time, I am sure even those who do not celebrate realize that it is near!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

AMEN, Miggy!!

Some retailers have policies to say 'happy holidays' instead of "Merry Christmas". (Let's not get into THAT rant!) Society is trying to do a 180 by watering down the true meaning of the holidays.

I saw Christmas ads on TV at Halloween. Society nearly skipped Thanksgiving this year in a heck-bent rush to captialize on the commercialization of Christmas.

Charlie Brown: "Can anybody tell me the meaning of Christmas?"
    Linus: "Lights... (proceeds to quote Luke 2:1-14)..that's the true meaning of Christmas, Charlie Brown."

Out of the mouth of babes
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Hey now, I just watched it's a wonderful life last night. I used to have the video, but somehow it got lost in my moving around.

I agree with the rant though.

I'm sick of all the PC non-denominational winter festival crap.

Can you imagine the PC caroling group singing what was once 'White Christmas' (now looked at as a racist christian song)

I'm dreaming of a multicultrual non-denominational winter festival.
    with every non-denominational winter festival card I write.
    May your days be merry and bright
    and may all your non-denominational winter festivals, be muticultural.

God bless and Merry Christmas.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Man I'll tell you what!!!! This political correctness BS as really gotten out of hand!!! You know it has when poor old Santa has to go around chanting "Lady of the night" "Lady of the night" "Lady of the night" It is just getting way out of hand.

"Have a wonderful Winter Solstice Season."
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Please allow me to rant as well...I swear if one more politically correct moron tells me "Happy Holidays" I will choke them. Where did this irrational fear of saying "Merry Christmas" come from. Who are we going to offend? They don't celebrate Christmas? SO WHAT! It is still Christmas time, I am sure even those who do not celebrate realize that it is near!
    Happy Holidays...and Merry Christmas.

Rick

P.S...there is no fear. I suspect there are some people that feel saying Merry Christmas or writing Merry Xmas or or...the list is long...is PC. What gives you the right to criticize them...I can pretty much (with few exceptions) guarantee they do not criticize those that celebrate Christmas in what is known as a traditional way. Stop sounding so...uh...PC.

I can definitely relate to the feelings of frustration about the fanatic shopping frenzy that takes place this time every year. Seems like it starts earlier and earlier, and now is in full swing as soon Halloween is over.

At the same time, I've gotta say that I kind of enjoy the crowds. Folks moving about with energy and purpose, and mostly good-natured. I remember riding the bus downtown with my mom and walking from shop to shop, gathering bundles of packages, and grabbing a hot chocolate at a five and dime lunch counter every now and then. Good times.

I don't particularly care for people who push their agendas so obnoxiously, demanding that the only way to celebrate the season is the way they believe, since they are the keepers of the one, authentic, truth of the matter (be it religous or otherwise).

A lot of us do not celebrate the season in a religious connotation, but enjoy it none the less. I'm not offended if a Christian wishes me a Merry Christmas, or if a Jewish person wishes me a Happy Hanukkah, or a Druid wishes me the joy of Alban Arthuan . Cultures the world over have celebrated the winter solstice for thousands of years, so why not enjoy it?

I try to have a pretty thick skin about things, and don't worry too much if others celebrate differently. There's room for all in the good ol' USA, unlike, say, the Sudan.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Soyy for the outburst but I needed to get it off my chest.
    Sounds like Miggy has a new topic for a blog....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I am glad that I live on top of a mountain 40 miles from town. I sure cheerish my solitude! btw, Merry Christmas to you all!

To Miggy from a fellow sofla member, mklcolt, and all, I wish everyone a politically incorrect:

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I try to have a pretty thick skin about things, and don't worry too much if others celebrate differently. There's room for all in the good ol' USA, unlike, say, the Sudan.
    Me too. Your right.

Everybody have a merry RamaHanaQuanzMas.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD
    Everybody have a merry RamaHanaQuanzMas.
    Wow..talk about multicultural, diversity, pc nonsense this takes it!

I know it was meant as a joke, well intentioned humor, but the sad part is in the future this obscene greeting may be the norm, just prefer a simple Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year.

Kwanzaa is a 'holiday' invented by some guy in his basement in Oakland, California sometime in the late 70's early 80's. It is meaningless, just a politically correct hallmark holiday.
    ramadamn is a vile pagan cult holiday practiced by islamic terrorists bent on destroying our 'infidel' nation.
    Last edited by Scott; December 15th, 2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Well, it's not a real holiday unless I get paid for it! If I worked for the bank or the post office, I wouldn't mind someone inventing another holiday every two weeks!

I hope everyone has a:

Merry Christmas
    Happy Hanukkah
    Roaring Ramadan
    Kicking Kwanza

Take your choice and Seasons Greetings.

If I left anyone out I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Actually, 'Christ' in Greek (original language of the New testament) is written Xristos (transliteration, since I don't know how to find the actual Greek letters on my keyboard). So, it was often like using his initial.

Just my thoughts.

MCL (aka MiklColt45, aka Michael Colt L-----)

From Strongs Greek dictionary.
    I don't know about the X being short for Christ in Greek, I had never heard that before. It could be true.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links