I gotta say.. I think i'm done

This is a discussion on I gotta say.. I think i'm done within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was just reading a post by Janq and realized that I am fed up and disgusted. No, it has nothing with Janq. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gotta say.. I think i'm done

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

I was just reading a post by Janq and realized that I am fed up and disgusted.

No, it has nothing with Janq. I was reading the newstory he posted about the two girls that murdered a woman for her car.... just to get to the amusement park. I don't have any other details, I stopped reading there.

I like to stay up on the news and all of the horrible stories help me to stay diligent about carrying every day. I have to say though, I have had enough of the doom and gloom that seems to be everywhere these days. Everywhere I look I am seeing or hearing about shootings, killings, robberies and worse.

I quit watching the local news for this exact same reason. Same ole crap day after day. Add that garbage to commercials and I am ready to put a round through the T.V. Only cable for me now. I can't even watch the animal cops show on the Animal Planet without wanting to hurt one of the animal bashers.

I have to admit this is one instance where I am ready to put my head down and become a . No, I'm not denying that crap happens and danger is everywhere. I know that. I also know that I have to be diligent in the daily protection of my family and myself. I am just so sick of the daily horror stories.

These days it seems like there is something horrible to report everyday. If it's not national news then it's local stuff. Go to work the next day and everyone is talking about the tradigy of the day. Feels like I can't get enough air sometimes.

So, I am going to let all of you keep up with the horror news and I'm going to go back to watching action flicks and reruns of the Sopranos. I would rather my diet of murder and violence be fake. I am sick of the real variety. Hell, you couldn't make up half the stuff you see on the news these days.

Rant over.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Moderator
    Its a sad fact of reality.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Unfortunately, some of the shootings should just be covered as local stuff, not national and if there wasn't an anti agenda it would be. I'm with you, can't watch the news anymore.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    The world is filled with sick people. BUT, that does not mean that we need to get a daily dose of their demented sickness infused into our lives every single day.
    There are too many things in life that need to be enjoyed.
    There are so many things that can give folks true pleasure and joy.
    There is also no need to get bombarded daily with depressing, dismal, crap.
    Life is too short to let everybody and everything and every morbid event drag you down into a hole.
    It's enough to know that as evil as you can imagine a small percentage of human beings to be...they are capable of being worse than that.
    You know the old saying:
    Don't Let The ******** Drag You down.
    Often I sure don't feel like reading it or seeing it either.
    I skip over many stories these days.
    I've already seen enough of things that have desensitized me way too much.
    There is not much remaining on Planet Earh that shocks me anymore and I am at the point where I don't even need to be NOT shocked on a daily basis.
    If you look for the good in life and in people - you'll find it.
    Just be quietly prepared for when you happen upon something not so good.
    Do not allow the never-ending madness and negativity to rule your life.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Keep your head up Big E. The newspaper makes it's money by showing the bad stuff that happens. It is very disheartening, especially at this time of year top see all the bad that goes on. But like I said, the ratings are what matters to the media. Nobody wants to see a story about a neighbor helping a neighbor (or helping a stranger). But it does happen. A lot more than we will know, because it's not front page news. So go catch your breath Big E. Even sheepdogs need to take a break once in a while.
    CW

Well I can tell you that all the years I was bashing about on a sailboat and traveling I rarely got any news at all and was much happier for it. I figured out how out of the loop one day when we were finishing up one trip and pulled into Great Bridge, VA for some fuel to run up the ditch to a project in the Chesapeake Bay. Fuel was pretty steep so I commented on the price to the dock master. "well, it's being driven up by the Gulf crisis" he says. As in Gulf war one. "Something happened in the Gulf of Mexico?" I asked as I didn't know! "No, you know over in them oil countries, the Gulf crisis" he said looking funny at me. "You been out of touch or something"? "Only for 3 or 4 months,I think that's the last time I saw any news." I think he thought I was a nut job.

After that I tried to read a news paper once a month or so and my wife would ask me how the world was. I always told her it was still a mess, nothing new....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Nothing wrong with taking abreak from constant pounding of bad news. When I worked the road I quit watching or reading the news for the most part. I just couldn't bear to scrape people off the pavement all day and listen to more crap when I got home. Remember this: No matter wht the news agencies want you to believe, there is actually a lot of good people out there that do good things for others on a daily basis.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    No matter wht the news agencies want you to believe, there is actually a lot of good people out there that do good things for others on a daily basis.
    You got that right!
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    "You been out of touch or something"? "Only for 3 or 4 months,I think that's the last time I saw any news." I think he thought I was a nut job.
    Now that's my kind of "out of the loop".

Feels like that's where I need to get to.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Good news doesn't sell. It's as simple as that. The only news that makes money is bad news. There is just something about the human mind that craves bad news. The other thing that plays in to this is the victim mentality that has been created in our country. Many people get a real thrill about anybody else having a problem. Some are more excited my other people's misfortunes than they would be by a good fortune that comes their way. They have the idea that if something good happens to someone else it is stolen from them and if something good comes their way they deserve it.

With a mentality like that the only good news there is to them is bad news about somebody else. They don't need to see good news about themselves because they already know that.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I believe the saying is...

"If it bleeds, it leads!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The only news I git is what I read on the web, and most of that I ignore.
    I haven't had TV cable since before I retired, Don't take the paper and most of my Magazine subscriptions I let expire. I have pretty much become like a Hermit and only comunicate with a few people.

Even on this sight I ignore what doesn't catch me right off. I am selective on what I read and watch or who I talk to and what about.

i know there are plenty of messed up ppl out there.
    that is why i
    1. carry a gun
    2. dont watch the news, or any tv for that matter

Thats why I tend not to like people. I would love it if I could move into a cabin deep into the woods, far from the public.

DC Founder
    I have not watched the news, or network television for that matter, regularly or taken the paper in over ten years. The only time I violate this self imposed boycott is when I hear that something has happened that I specifically want to know about. I get virtually all of the news I am exposed to by talk radio or just blundering across it on a news website. I know what goes on out there, I just don't want to hear it repeatedly and with the media bias....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links