Portable App's - boring puter stuff ;)

This is a discussion on Portable App's - boring puter stuff ;) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Duisburg - "I recommend their 3.8.1" - any particular reason to go back that far to the version? I see 5.1.1 is latest. Miggy - ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable App's - boring puter stuff ;)

Assistant Administrator
    Duisburg - "I recommend their 3.8.1" - any particular reason to go back that far to the version? I see 5.1.1 is latest.

Miggy - good job .... those Kingstons should be fine.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I'm so old that I remember the great new portable data technology by Iomega. The Benoulli removable 'crash proof' 10MB hard drive. It had as much capacity as an embedded hard disk! Woohoo!
    Old is when your "storage device" was the cardboard flats that soda pop/beer cans came on. They were hard to come by back then because bottles were still popular. Man an ice cold Dew out of a tall bottle. That was good stuff!!!
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Duisburg - "I recommend their 3.8.1" - any particular reason to go back that far to the version? I see 5.1.1 is latest.

Miggy - good job .... those Kingstons should be fine.
    it is smaller, has better apps and I feel it is better but by all means try any version, I am sure you'll like it
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Duisburg - I'll give it some thought. Appreciate the mention and feedback.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Genuine portable apps have the .PAF extension and install straight onto the mem stick, once you have the main software on already.
    a slight correction , Portable apps are stand alone and do not istall other than to the stick . needed dlls will either be in the app directory( and normally it will self steer there ) or so common that anything nt based should allready have them in the system.. The only software needed and it is not is a small app to create a menu , you can just browse the stick and run any app tho by going to the dir its installed to and running the executable file .
    I have been using portables for a while now its handy to take " my " firefox , office suite , accounting progy , ect with me where ever i go . as well as from the desktop to the laptop ect..
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Portable apps are stand alone and do not istall other than to the stick
    Agreed Bob - that was sorta what I was tryin to say ;wink:
    Chris - P95

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL Chris sorry i may have mis understood the post , on first blush it seemed to me that you were saying the portable app would work if the " main app" was on the computer first. I just wanted to rephrase so to speak that once you have the portable app it will run from a stick or in many cases a flash card or even cd. I once put a nix installation on a smart card ( like cameras use ) and had a full featured os but then i do weird crap just to see if i can lol .

Dont think this is limited guys , the other day i just picked up a portable copy of autocad 2000 . I wont speculate to the pedigree of this program , but will note it runs fine lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member

Portable Apps "Range" Report.

OK, I used the 2 Gig stick with the Portable Apps today at work. Mostly I used the Firefox since the main tracking program is web based and I did have a problem with some weird internal links but other than that it was a breeze. Firebird is butting heads with the company's system but I will eventually figure out a way to make it work.
    I opened Excel & Word documents without a hiccup and PDFs loaded faster that with the full size adobe installed in our crappy computer.

Overall is very smooth and it takes about 5 minutes to forget you are running all these applications from a stick and not the main drive. In fact I almost left without retrieving it!

Chris, thanks again for the tip!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

DC Founder
    I got a coupla SanDisks with that U3 - don't like em. I got a small appp to remove the U3 but it doesn't do any good.
    I just formatted the Cruzer and it was all wiped out, but backed it up first in case I ever need it again. First glance at the Portable Apps Suite looks pretty good but haven't had a chance yet to really play with it.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Great Miggy - as you can see from my original pic - my total number of app's is quite good. Not too much I can't manage within that lot. I am sure you'll enjoy the independence of yours ........ can't praise it enough.

Bumper ......... I tried a format on my Cruzer but it wouldn't! Even tried a small app supposed to wipe it but it wasn't having any! I did back up the U3 files myself too in case but anyways - for now that stick is tucked away as a spare and may well not be used now.

When you get to the Port Apps suite I think you'll be impressed ....... I even added my usual extensions to the portable Firefox successfully.

It's worth checking the website now and again to keep up to speed on any new releases. Oh BTW - may have mentioned too ....... once you have a complete set on the flash drive - take a copy of that onto puter hdd .. it can then be transfered to another flash drive - and works the same !
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Hmmm... I just found out something interesting. I could not access gunbroker.com from work since it was blocked (violent content or some garbage like that) but I just did it using the Firefox from the Portable Apps.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    but I just did it using the Firefox from the Portable Apps.
    Attaboy Miggy

Chris - P95

... Bumper ......... I tried a format on my Cruzer but it wouldn't! Even tried a small app supposed to wipe it but it wasn't having any! I did back up the U3 files myself too in case but anyways - for now that stick is tucked away as a spare and may well not be used now. ...
    Did you try http://www.u3.com/uninstall/

I used it to remove U3 from my cruzer micro 4GB and it worked fine.

Assistant Administrator
    99% sure that was what I got and tried - to no avail. I may try again but no biggie now I have other (normal ) USB flash drives. Thx for the mention.
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links