Portable App's - boring puter stuff ;)

This is a discussion on Portable App's - boring puter stuff ;) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nothing gunny about this but - mentioning it in case some may not have come across it before - just an FYI. Might be old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable App's - boring puter stuff ;)

Assistant Administrator

Portable App's - boring puter stuff ;)

Nothing gunny about this but - mentioning it in case some may not have come across it before - just an FYI. Might be old news to a lotta folks of course.

I expect there will be many these days who use USB flash sticks - and the sizes available have gotten larger and larger. I added two more recently, Memorex 2Gb, at $17 each! (Interesting thing too as a side note - apparently Vista can ''add'' one of these in to effectively bump up RAM - if read/write speed adequate).

I see 4Gb regularly and even seen an 8Gb.

Anyways not all that long ago I discovered after reading on the 'Windows Secrets' site, the existence of ''Portable App's'' and on exploring this was more than impressed - it is stand alone, on and from the USB stick.

http://portableapps.com/ is the place to visit.

Genuine portable apps have the .PAF extension and install straight onto the mem stick, once you have the main software on already. I added several more beyond the basic suite available ... and this covers almost all needs for average work. It is almost all GNU (open source) stuff too - can we say ''free''

The beauty of this is (accepting there could be security issues - something to be aware of that's all) ......... you have your own portable set of applications to use when on another machine - maybe a machine set up for looks and structure way different from your own.

There is a six component ''office'' suite, Open Office which is very handy and other things I have on there include an FTP deal, zip, browser, email client, notepad text editor, media player, image app, simple html app - all in all enough power to do most things when visiting a remote puter - hopefully with an internet connection of course!.

Below are pics - first is the menu interface - launched by an .exe on the stick. ...then there is the appearance of folder structure. I keep a 460Mb back up on same stick for a site I maintain - always backed up - if push came to shove I could still work on it day to day with all this - on a totally unfamiliar machine.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Hey that's great. Thanks for the info Chris.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Chris, you are evil... Great stuff! Thanks!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

DC Founder
    I have a 4GB Cruzer I use to move things from one machine to another and it has a similar app built into it, but that looks a little more "full featured". Comes in handy when you have to work on someone else's PC, which seems to be almost all of the time for me....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    The U3 in the Cruzer Bumper is not IMO all it's cracked up to be ... and IIRC it is from a security POV not too brilliant.

I got a coupla SanDisks with that U3 - don't like em. I got a small appp to remove the U3 but it doesn't do any good.

This Portable App's deal is light years different. Go grab some stuff and set up your USB stick - but get a ''plain'' one, not ''infected'' with U3

BTW ------- after setting up one stick, the first - I backed up all it's contents onto HDD ....... and then copied that over to a spare stick - works fine .. have two sticks with portable app's - plus it's all backed up. Love it.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    OK, now I have to go out and buy a bigger stick. 250 MB is not gonna do it
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - first one I got way back was a 250Mb Lexar ''Jumpdrive" - still does good for putting pics on between my machine and wife's ...... but yeah - now you'll get a 2Gb or bigger for very fair price. I lucked out on the memorex sticks recently - Circuit City had a good deal on them.

Shucks $17 for that much storage - IMO - incredible
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    I have the Lexar 250MB right here
    I guess it is time to upgrade anyways. It does look like a great utility.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    I've been using this since clipse posted I believe. I run it on a 200Gb USB drive. A laptop drive powered off the USB. Works good so far and I like the fact that I now have my home computer minus a couple apps on a laptop drive I can carry in my laptop bag pocket with my corporate machine. I've turned a few of my co-workers on to it. The road wariors seem to like it the best.

For you game types there is a Texas Hold'em game as well.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    BTW, I heard that CompUSA is going out of business in January so there should be some great stuff for sale.
    I just checked online and they do have great prices on the thumb drives but the cheap ones are mostly gone.
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh - so Clipse posted did he Scott - had not seen that.

Anyways - it is such a good system I will not bother if it is a repeat ... as so few folks have yet been aware of it.

Hmm - I have three 160 Gb external HDD's - all will go USB tho one is firewire currently ... methinks I will extend onto one of those too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miggy - check out Circuit City but also go online and do a search - Dealtime.com, Overstock.com, all those places can lead you to deals worth a look. Prices really are very competitive. Just don't get a U3 dealie!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Nothing gunny about this but - mentioning it in case some may not have come across it before - just an FYI. Might be old news to a lotta folks of course....
    Hey that looks really nice and now allow me to share some warez with you:

ever heard of Knoppix? Well check out there website www.knoppix.com

I recommend their 3.8.1 and the fastest mirror is at Kaiserschlautern

viel spass !
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    OK, I went to Circuit City & got 2 Kingston Data travelers 2GB and $17 a piece. I double checked and they say nothing about the U3 stuff. I did find out a couple of others that mentioned in the package so I think I am safe. One goes for the wife as stocking stuffer and one stays with yours truly.
    And as far as I can shake and wheigh, the wife did not heed to my hint for a Previously-Owned SIG darn it!
    Randy Cain.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I'm so old that I remember the great new portable data technology by Iomega. The Benoulli removable 'crash proof' 10MB hard drive. It had as much capacity as an embedded hard disk! Woohoo!

VIP Member
    For those who may have and old computer sitting in a closet with a good hard drive, you can use it as external drive by getting an External Enclosure. It is also a great rescue tool if your computer all of the sudden goes belly up and you want to recover your data. That is what happened to my old computer and I was going crazy trying to figure out how to get my old stuff without having to shell out big bucks to some store tech. They range from $15 to $50 depending on the specs.

SD, I remember being all happy when they came out with the double density floppys. Oh hell, I remember using cassette tapes to load software!
    Randy Cain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links