Red Light Camera Question

This is a discussion on Red Light Camera Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'd swear somebody asked about this recently, but I can't find the thread. Here's the story. I was in Delaware, and the light turned red. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Light Camera Question

I'd swear somebody asked about this recently, but I can't find the thread. Here's the story.

I was in Delaware, and the light turned red. I was in the process of stopping, and my front tires rolled across the white line about 5 MPH. "CLICK". My front tires ended up 2-3 feet in front of the white line when I stopped.

The DE DOT website says "This is not a criminal ticket. It will not go on your insurance or be points against your DL."

My question is, "Does anyone have experience with these?" I know a cop reviews the photos, but I'm curious whether they will bust me for crossing the white line or whether they will see I was trying to do the right thing and give me a pass. Their little statement makes it seem like they're solely interested in revenue generation rather than keeping people safe.

Thanks for your opinions,
    Herk

Points are not normally assesed because the pictures are taken from the rear of the vehicle and they cannot verify the driver's i.d. My co-worker got one in Md and only paid a fine. Submit a "challenge" to this ticket and see what happens.

That's my problem with these cameras...they are designed for generating revenue.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    I agree that it is revenue genereation thing, however, at problem intersections it has reduced accidents a lot. I have a problem when a city puts them at every light.
    If your tires cross the stopbar (the painted line) then its a violation...but if they are so tick tacky as to site that, I'd challenge them just because.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    That's my problem with these cameras...they are designed for generating revenue.
    What he said!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Big Brother needs money.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

i have a better solution.
    stop spending so much money on dumb crap!

How else will Big Brother pay for all those social programs? The deal with the light cameras is that the vendor installs them for the city for free and takes a cut off the top for each fine that is assessed for "running a red light". It's a pure revenue generator for the cities that use them. I'd like to see some true statistics that show how much of a difference they really make in traffic control.

I know that a lot of drivers these days will run a red light if the light changes as they are approaching the intersection, but I wonder if these cameras really do make that much difference in driver behavior. If an intersection is that bad then why not assign a traffic officer to watch it and ticket offenders?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    If an intersection is that bad then why not assign a traffic officer to watch it and ticket offenders?
    Because it is far more costly, and not nearly as effective.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    In Montgomery Alabama redlight cameras were voted down because some members of the city council thought they were racist!

Rep. Alvin Holmes sees potential as racial profile tool Concerned that automated camera enforcement of red-light violations could lead to masked attempts to commit racial profiling, state Rep. Alvin Holmes, D-Mont gomery, said he will ask the Legislative Black Caucus to help him kill the measure. "We're not going to give law enforcement in the state of Alabama more tools to harass and intimidate black people," Holmes said
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Now cameras are racist? Wow...

And I have to point out that RUNNING A RED LIGHT IS DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL... Don't do it, and it won't be any of your revenue going to the city. Honestly, I'd rather the city get its money from red-light runners (not me) than from the tax payer in general (me.) Selfish, I know, but if you could opt out of all taxes simply by obeying all laws, would you do it?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Now cameras are racist? Wow...

And I have to point out that RUNNING A RED LIGHT IS DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL... Don't do it, and it won't be any of your revenue going to the city. Honestly, I'd rather the city get its money from red-light runners (not me) than from the tax payer in general (me.) Selfish, I know, but if you could opt out of all taxes simply by obeying all laws, would you do it?
    OPFOR hits the nail on the head: DON'T RUN RED LIGHTS!!! They're just in the prototype stage here in San Antonio, where a lot of accidents are caused by people running red lights. I really don't have any objection.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    Well apparently Rep Holmes here in Alabama thinks that only certain races run red lights. (Which is a racist thought isn't it?)

I learn so much about politics living here in Montgomery
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    In Montgomery Alabama redlight cameras were voted down because some members of the city council thought they were racist!
    WHAT??

That's pathetic, and almost panders to an old joke that can't be told any more.

Of course it always amazes me that people are against them because it interferes with their "Rights". Well here's a hint, obey the law!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    WHAT??

That's pathetic, and almost panders to an old joke that can't be told any more.

Of course it always amazes me that people are against them because it interferes with their "Rights". Well here's a hint, obey the law!
    Now, if you selectively enforce the laws, or only install cameras in certain areas, that could be considered racial profiling, but if everything is administered consistently, there shouldn't be a problem.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links