Hits keep on Coming

Hits keep on Coming

This is a discussion on Hits keep on Coming within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since the latest mall and church shootings...it appears daily other shootings in the news. All inessence, negative in perception building. http://www.wmur.com/news/14872365/detail.html http://www.wesh.com/news/14874869/detail.html Rick...

Thread: Hits keep on Coming

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Hits keep on Coming

Since the latest mall and church shootings...it appears daily other shootings in the news. All inessence, negative in perception building.

http://www.wmur.com/news/14872365/detail.html

http://www.wesh.com/news/14874869/detail.html

Rick

i think there's always a bunch of wackos out there who are all wired up and then one incident just triggers them all into action.

Assistant Administrator
    One case where I feel copy-cat mode is possible - plus my own take on some kids over-medicated with anti depressants.

The video game deal is contentious - but I do feel that unstable kids can be influenced by some ''shoot-em-up'' games - so easy - just point and pull trigger. Plus an urge for ''fame''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Video games? Come the hell on.. I have been playing 'shoot em up' games since they first came out and I don't go out shooting people. Let alone for fame.

Violence in society has NOTHING to do with video games IMO.. children are treated like children till they get out into the world on their own.. and then they discover how REAL the world is. Not being able to discipline children w/o getting social services called on you is a HUGE factor in this.. it teaches a child that punishment for any 'wrong' is simply a 'time-out'. Go sit in the corner.. OH NO.. not the corner. Maybe I'll get to sit in my room with TV and my Wii for a few hours.. such horror. Now it may take a few times (I know it took me a few) but after having some wooden spoons broken on my ass I learned. I can remember doing something at McD's and getting my ass spanked in front of everyone.. One lady even volunteered to take over if my moms hand got sore... I'm pretty sure whatever it was I never did again.

I learned right from wrong..

Assistant Administrator
    monky - I am sure you and countless others can play vid games just fine - yes you know right from wrong, that's fine and as I hope it should be. I am not slating vid games as a generalization - so don't read me wrong.

Note my mention of the word ''unstable" (disturbed) re young folks and vid games. I am not painting with a broad brush at all - I am narrowing down to a small subset of people. I do believe that a young mind that is disturbed could - see the shoot-em-up drama of a vid game as something they could apply in real life ..... it's a contentious subject and in many cases there is a need to agree to disagree.

Note once more - ''disturbed'' - that is the key word IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    monky - I am sure you and countless others can play vid games just fine - yes you know right from wrong, that's fine and as I hope it should be. I am not slating vid games as a generalization - so don't read me wrong.

Note my mention of the word ''unstable" (disturbed) re young folks and vid games. I am not painting with a broad brush at all - I am narrowing down to a small subset of people. I do believe that a young mind that is disturbed could - see the shoot-em-up drama of a vid game as something they could apply in real life ..... it's a contentious subject and in many cases there is a need to agree to disagree.

Note once more - ''disturbed'' - that is the key word IMO.
    I agree with this...the ability to separate make believe from reality driven from vid games no doubt, in my mind, has had a direct impact on the subconcious for some. Pychologists are studying it as we speak.

Rick

It is a troubled world out there. Be vigilant.

It's always been in the hands of the media. If a story deserves front page news, it will get it. If it's in a bored, out of the way town In hicksville, USA, they will make national news with it. Politically speaking, the media is on a 'roll' with recent events. A 'feeding frenzy' if you will. Sales and headlines is what it's all about. Ever notice how things like this follow a pattern? Most of the time things like this go on in small towns across America with not much publicity. That's because there is a silence of sorts that states---"not in my town". Now, since something happened in a 'well known' town, everyone jumps on the band wagon. Kinda makes you wonder if the media would pay someone to do something to make headlines for their town just to follow along with big brother. This country is like an aquarium, and the media is like a bunch of plecostamous. (bottom feeders or sucker fish that live off what others leave behind). Makes me sick.

I'll go along with the video theory.

The military found that soldiers had a hard time in WWII in overcoming their reluctance to shoot at another human. To overcome this, the military has developed training methods to condition soldiers to lower their inhibitions to kill a fellow human. Law enforcement has applied simiular techniques.

The link below takes you to an article on this.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...68/ai_57476241

After reading this, I would propose that video games would also lower reluctance to use deadly force like these training techniques. That could result in some, an unnatural urge/willingness to kill.

It's not just the video games but the entertainment media in general. Movies, TV, games, some music extol violence as common and often the best answer. Life is cheap and killing is easy. Try traveling into some of the more peaceful backwaters of the world and you'll notice none of this exists. In the places where western entertainment of this sort is getting in then the next generation starts having all the same problems we are experiencing here. It's a Pandoras box. If you like that sort of entertainment there is a seriously painful down side a society pays for it.

Maybe a person doesn't think it effects them but from personal observation I can say it really does effect you. You may be able to function like a normal caring human but many people who are border line get "pushed" over the edge by stuff like this. I have a young relative who is a classic case. He needs help and the family is concerned, as they darn well should be, as he thinks that mall shootings and what not are funny, the victims he could care less about. Yet he is being raised on ultra violent video games and movies. I'm glad we live far from them I fear this kid isn't going to get the help he needs as his parents are a mess anyways. I fear a future statistic....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Links