The Violence Does Not End On Earth

The Violence Does Not End On Earth

This is a discussion on The Violence Does Not End On Earth within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Universe is a Dangerous Place. It gets Mean And Nasty out there folks. No matter where ya go you just can't get away from ...

Thread: The Violence Does Not End On Earth

Administrator

Post The Violence Does Not End On Earth

The Universe is a Dangerous Place.
    It gets Mean And Nasty out there folks.
    No matter where ya go you just can't get away from the senseless Violence.
    Your rights end where my galaxy begins!

NASA Snaps Images of 'Death Star Galaxy'
    By SETH BORENSTEIN,
    AP
    Posted: 2007-12-18 09:39:14
    Filed Under: Science News

WASHINGTON (Dec. 17) - The latest act of senseless violence caught on tape is cosmic in scope: A black hole in a "death star galaxy" blasting a neighboring galaxy with a deadly jet of radiation and energy.

A fleet of space and ground telescopes have captured images of this cosmic violence, which people have never witnessed before, according to a new study released Monday by NASA.
    "It's like a bully, a black-hole bully punching the nose of a passing galaxy," said astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York, who wasn't involved in the research.

But ultimately, this could be a deadly punch.

The telescope images show the bully galaxy shooting a stream of deadly radiation particles into the lower section of the other galaxy, which is about one-tenth its size. Both are about 8.2 billion trillion miles from here, orbiting around each other.

The larger galaxy has a multi-digit name but is called the "death star galaxy" by one of the researchers who discovered the galactic bullying, Daniel Evans of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

Tens of millions of stars, including those with orbiting planets, are likely in the path of the deadly jet, said study co-author Martin Hardcastle of the University of Hertfordshire in the United Kingdom.

If Earth were in the way - and it's not - the high-energy particles and radiation of the jet would in a matter of months strip away the planet's protective ozone layer and compress the protective magnetosphere, said Evans. That would then allow the sun and the jet itself to bombard the planet with high-energy particles.

And what would that do life on the planet?

"Decompose it," Tyson said.

"Sterilize it," Evans piped in.

The jet attack is relatively new, in deep space time. Hardcastle estimates it's no more than 1 million years old and can stretch on for another 10 to 100 million years.

"A truly extraordinary act of violence," Evans said. "The jet violently slams into that lower half of the neighboring galaxy after which the jet dramatically twists and bends."

The good news is that eventually an area of hot gas that gets hit and compressed by this mysterious jet - astronomers are still baffled by what's in it and how it works - over millions and billions of years can form stars, Tyson said.

NASA, the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in United States and the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom used ground optical and radio telescopes, the Hubble Space Telescope, the Chandra X-ray Observatory, and the infrared Spitzer Space Telescope to get an image of the violence on various wavelengths, including invisible ones. The results will be published in The Astrophysical Journal next year.

The two galaxies are only 24,000 light-years apart and are in a slow merging process. The jet has already traveled 1 million light-years. A light-year is about 5.88 trillion miles.

Tyson said there are two main lessons to be learned from what the telescopes have found:

"This is a reminder that you are not alone in the universe. You are not isolated. You are not an island."

And "avoid black holes when you can."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

We should take steps now to keep our galaxy safe and clean:

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    That can't be good - nightmares tonight!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Maybe there's an alien race that lives in the black hole and is annihilating neighboring planet life forms. Dang... now I feel the need for a bigger gun.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Boy---a black hole now? Don't ya know that's gotta suck. Wouldn't want that in my neighborhood! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

And "avoid black holes when you can."

...seems like sound advise...
    Last edited by Scott; December 19th, 2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns.

VIP Member
    Neat story Except! Notice that the writers can't accept that things happen that are dangerous and destructive without pinning the negatively charged word "violence" on them. They have anthropomophized inanimate objects like black holes and galaxies into sentient beings. Even the astrophysicist director of the Hayden Planetarium isn't immune because he says:
    This is a reminder that you are not alone in the universe. You are not isolated. You are not an island.
    We are still alone. If we are not we have never been because from the first humans have been surrounded by objects outside of their environment. Moons, planets, stars, and galaxies have been known for centuries and suddenly this one reminds us that we are not alone. Give me a break. These people need to grow up.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Maybe there's an alien race that lives in the black hole and is annihilating neighboring planet life forms. Dang... now I feel the need for a bigger gun.

Would that be a ray gun and is a ray gun be under a class 3 weapon?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Would that be a ray gun and is a ray gun be under a class 3 weapon?
    I'm thinking it would have to be classed under AOW. Doesn't fire projectiles unless they want to argue the point that light particles/waves are projectiles...
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

AMH
    Man, I am worried enough about zombies! Now I have to worry about black holes. This is going to require some serious tweaking on my Bug out Bag.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    +2 Perhaps a biteproof subspace shield in the 200-300 megawatt range?

And where exactly is the Anti-BlackHole (or Blasar in this case) legislation. It is the government's job to protect me all the time from things like this. We all know those laws will stop all violence. I mean the Internet, Television, and Oprah can't all be wrong can they?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Administrator

Hey I remember posting a story of the person killed by a meteorite.

It came crashing through the house roof - through the ceiling - through the persons chest while in bed sleeping - through the mattress and box springs - through the floor - through the first floor floor and buried itself in the basement floor.

Try your situational awareness and house alarms out on that deadly threat.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links