Kids and anti-depressants

This is a discussion on Kids and anti-depressants within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; View this vid - a Fox report by reporter Douglas Kennedy. The opinions expressed echo some I have had for some time - I am ...

Thread: Kids and anti-depressants

Assistant Administrator

Kids and anti-depressants

View this vid - a Fox report by reporter Douglas Kennedy.

The opinions expressed echo some I have had for some time - I am no fan of most pharmaceuticals, except for extreme needs but have had much suspicion on the validity, safety and useful effects of anti-depressants.

In kids I think they are over prescribed and stand a good chance of being mood altering in all the wrong ways. These kids are adolescents - with strong emotional upheavals for many - part of the path to true adulthood.

In some cases it seems enough to push things way beyond normal - with frightening consequences.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I haven't had much experience with children, but I've been working with developmentally disabled adults for a very long time.

I can tell you that when you get the right mix of medication, it really does help. The persons quality of life is improved and they enjoy life more. The problem is that it usually takes years of trial and error to find the right mix. When you finally do find the right mix, a new medication is released and they have to start all over. It is a vicious cycle.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

i agree 100%
    i have a friend on these so called antidepressants. they have made him the most non emotional person i know. he hates his life, not because he is depressed, but because he does not feel. he has absolutely no motivation and for that reason has dropped out of school over and over. its really sad.
    he also knows that it is mainly do to the meds, and has been attempting to get himself off of them, but that is not easy. his body is addicted to them. if he forgets to take a pill one night he will sleep through the entire next day, if not more.
    when i was in middle school i was put on an anti-ADHD med. i knew right from the get go that this stuff was a bunch of horse hockey. the shrink that my mom made me see was talking to me and asking me questions and such. and this guy was just boring, so i was having fun watching the squirrels outside. i, like many kids these days, was simply bored with school, and thus didnt do well. all throughout my high school and now university, i have always aced every single difficult class that was thrown at me, and done poorly in all the easy classes. i see this in kids ALL the time. they are like working dogs. if you dont give them something to do, they will destroy your sofa.
    there are certain meds that im ok with. health related ones of course.
    pain meds i am ok with other people taking, but i personally refuse to take them. any med that alters brain chemicals.. no thats just going too far.
    some people require them- those who have a real mental illness and are a danger to others. but when a little kid wont sit still, or a teenager depressed, there are much better ways to deal with that then to make them into a sack of potatoes.

I'm sure that most " modern parents" and some members will disagree with me on this, but I believe that 90% (or more) of the meds that kids are taking nowadys are unnecessary. Parents are using meds to replace parenting. Take the games and TV away, kick their butts outside, and let them be kids. Let them experience life outside the bottle. They also need to hear a new english word - NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I'm sure that most " modern parents" and some members will disagree with me on this, but I believe that 90% (or more) of the meds that kids are taking nowadys are unnecessary. Parents are using meds to replace parenting. Take the games and TV away, kick their butts outside, and let them be kids. Let them experience life outside the bottle. They also need to hear a new english word - NO.
    As far as todays youth goes, I think you nailed it. They are doing the same thing with anti-depressants that they did years ago with antibiotics. They are way to widely administered.

It's a lot easier to drug your kids than it is to be a parent. When the kid goes bad you can always blame the drug and assume that the lack of actual parenting had nothing to do with it.

Aggravating to say the least.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

"I'm sure that most " modern parents" and some members will disagree with me on this, but I believe that 90% (or more) of the meds that kids are taking nowadys are unnecessary. Parents are using meds to replace parenting. Take the games and TV away, kick their butts outside, and let them be kids. Let them experience life outside the bottle. They also need to hear a new english word - NO."

Exactly. Kids are being zombized because no one wants to discipline them.

When the mental institutions were closed the shrinks did the same thing with mental cases who commit crimes. A mental case who commits a violent crime is Thorazined into oblivion and called a behavorial case. When working in corrections in WV, i saw guys with so much Thorazine in their systems that they didn't swing their arms when they walked.

AMH
    I work for a Behavioral Health clinic as a Psychology Technician. I work mostly with active duty military and spend very little (almost zero) time with kids. However, the vast majority of the active duty personnel I work with are Basic Trainees. Most of these guys are 17 – 21 years of age, and it is for all intents and purposes adolescent psychology.

The most common issue I see is Adjustments Disorders. I use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy almost exclusively, it is my forte. The biggest pattern I have noticed over the years is that the people who have the greatest difficulty adjusting are the individuals who had a crappy childhood in some way.

Good parenting is the key to having a well adjusted adult, but not a 100% guarantee. Some people are just sick. You may never use tobacco a day in your life, but you could still end with lung cancer.

I am not a psychiatrist so I am by no means an expert on medication. But I have been doing this for a while and I can definitely say that there are some seriously ill people who benefit tremendously from medication. I have seen people who have been on the verge of suicide and with the right combination of therapy and medication go on to live very fulfilling lives. Medication definitely has its place.

Now for the other side of the coin. Misdiagnoses and the over prescription of medication does occur. Doctors are humans and are prone to mistakes. Additionally, each doctor has his/her own opinion on treatment modalities. Some like to push meds, others like to minimize them. It is important that you shop around for a doctor the same you would for any service provider. Heck, Dr. Tim Leary was board certified and I wouldn’t have let him touch me with a ten foot pole.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I'm no doctor, but I am a parent who cares........

I ride both sides of this fence because I can see/relate to both sides of this issue. I so feel that way too many docs perscribe 'mood altering - anti depressants - behaviour modification' drugs because it's a fix to a displayed SYMPTOM, and not curing/treating the problem.

Having said that, my oldest daughter has been diagnosed bi-polar.....this stems from witnessing abuses (physical/menal) from her biological father. It's taken many vists and diffrent perscriptions/meds to "level her out". She feels and functions normally, but she understands, now, what triggers her and she is responding well to therapy sessions, meds, etc. Diagnosis and treatment of the problem, not just "medacating a symptom" has made the diffrence.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think medicating children is a bad idea....I'm not going to do it to my kids, that's for sure. I have a buddy who got prescribed Aderol (sp?) when he was in elementary school. His middle school brother thought it was cool to snort the stuff. Things went downhill from there. Drugs and alcohol before reaching maturity can definitely effect mental development IME. I don't think its natural for a person to be medicated. Sure there are extreme circumstances, and people are faced with tough decisions, and scientists are "only trying to help" etc... JMHO but I think it's dead wrong.

Austin

Links