Tualatin Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Wife: MERGED

This is a discussion on Tualatin Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Wife: MERGED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND FOLLOW THE BASIC RULES FOLKS! http://www.kptv.com/news/14882840/detail.html Tualatin Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Wife POSTED: 11:22 am PST December 18, 2007 UPDATED: 11:44 ...

Thread: Tualatin Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Wife: MERGED

Tualatin Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Wife: MERGED

PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND FOLLOW THE BASIC RULES FOLKS!

http://www.kptv.com/news/14882840/detail.html

Tualatin Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Wife

POSTED: 11:22 am PST December 18, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:44 am PST December 18, 2007

TUALATIN, Ore. -- A man who signed on to become a Clark County sheriff's deputy accidentally shot his wife to death in Tualatin on Sunday, according to police.

Police said Ryan Osbrink, 24, was practicing drawing his pistol from a holster when it unintentionally discharged as his wife, Kimberly Osbrink, entered the room.

A bullet struck Kimberly Osbrink in the stomach, police said. When emergency crews arrived, they said they found Ryan Osbrink administering first aid to his wife, who was rushed to Oregon Health & Science University.

Kimberly Osbrink later died at the hospital.
    Click here to find out more!

Ryan Osbrink had signed an offer of employment with the Clark County Sheriff's Office. His first day of work was to be Dec. 19, but his hiring has been delayed pending the outcome of the investigation.

The gun used in the shooting was a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol that Osbrink owned.

The Tualatin Police Department is still investigating the shooting. Their findings will be forwarded to the Washington County District Attorney's Office for review.
    I added the Emphasis/Bolding to it. Given the situation(practicing from the draw) I'm seriously doubting the gun unintentionally discharged itself. It's important folks. KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH unless you're ON TARGET and READY to FIRE. Practicing the draw in a NON-SAFE area with a HOT gun wasn't the brightest idea either.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Man, oh man. Sad situation. I hope they don't hire this guy, or if they do, don't let him put bullets in his gun, like Barney Fife.

Why would you practice your draw with a loaded weapon, with your finger on the trigger, with it off safe if it has one, in an area that does not provide a clear draw away from people.

I guess just because you can pass the test and make it through the interview and mental eval, doesn't mean you need to be a cop.

Bad, bad deal.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

This is just tragic in so many ways. I have a friend that years back traded a revolver for a semi-auto to an older co-worker that never owned a semi. That night, the older gentleman was sitting on his bed fondling the .32 without the mag in thinking the gun was safe. He happened to pull the trigger as his wife was coming through the bedroom door. The bullet missed by inches. The next day he returned the .32 to my friend and told him to keep it, he was done with guns. My friend told me that he explained the use of the gun and thought the man had a clear understanding of it's safe use. At least this story had a happier ending than what happened to this deputy.

Theres gonna be a million WHYs and IFs

heres mine

WHY couldn't he wait until he got on the training range(academy) to do this practice ?

I mean, IF he was hired as a PO, wouldn't they be providing training ?

or at least the agency should be .

Assistant Administrator
    Tragic in the extreme - and so, so avoidable.

He will never manage to deal with this, ever.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

A tragic reminder to everybody- how not to practice

http://www.kptv.com/news/14882840/detail.html

A young man about to start his career in law enforcement kills his wife while practicing his draw, unfortunately with a loaded weapon.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I just saw that on CNN. Terrible story.

As tragic as this is, Mr Ryan Osbrink violated the first two (and most important) rules of firearms: Treat all guns as if they're loaded 24/7 even if you *know* they're not, and Never let the muzzle cover anything you're not willing to destroy.

It's just too bad that an innocent person, his wife, had to pay the price, and now he'll have to deal with that for the rest of his life. My condolences go out to him, but not for his stupidity, only for the loss of his wife and the guilt he must be dealing with.

I kind of wonder if he should have a future in law enforcement or not... I know it was (probably) an honest mistake, and something he very much regrets, but you have to ask yourself, is this the type of person you want sworn to serve and protect?
    Sorry if I sound heartless here.

Booger hook off the bang switch, guys...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Unfortunate in the extreme. I hope he is able to deal with it in time.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Very tragic. I actually have no harsh words for the guy.
    Last edited by Cupcake; December 19th, 2007 at 09:31 AM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Very tragic. I actully have no harsh words for the guy.
    What a horrible tragedy. May she R.I.P. I can't say I have harsh words. Having to face her family,and deal with missing the woman I'm sure he loved very much.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Very sad. The only thing this man deserves is our sympathy. My prayer is that he will somehow be able to deal with this. Unfortunately these cases often end in the suicide of the survivor. My extreme sympathy to family members on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    Theres gonna be a million WHYs and IFs
    There are no "what ifs"... You do not do holster drills in your home with a loaded handgun. -Period.

I have done countless dry firing drills and drawing drills in my home... You still have to follow the most basic of safety rules.

Idiotic actions often yield tragic results.

Links