Ain't nuthin' but ramblins...but what a GREAT movie!!!!

This is a discussion on Ain't nuthin' but ramblins...but what a GREAT movie!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First, this stupid thread should read 'but ramblins', but of course, I missed it and can't edit the byline...sorry all. Maybe a moderator can hit ...

Thread: Ain't nuthin' but ramblins...but what a GREAT movie!!!!

First, this stupid thread should read 'but ramblins', but of course, I missed it and can't edit the byline...sorry all. Maybe a moderator can hit that for me?

OK...so, Wifey-poo and I saw a GREAT movie last night (can't wait until she hears I called her that. If I never post again, you'll know she knocked me out and amputated my fingers or something much, much worse).

I Am Legend simply kicks all kinds of gluteus maximus. Even if you don't like Will Smith (I do), even if you are one of those people who simply can't suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy a good science fiction movie (one with a story line that is scarily possible), even if you're a pulseless, dull, homebody who waits to see everything at home and simply can't imagine forking over the eight bucks to go sit in the theater (I understand...I'm usually one of these guys)...GET UP AND SEE this freaking film!

What a ride!

First, lots of guns. Looked to me like Beretta did some bucking up for positioning of some handguns, and there were AR's of all types. Since black rifles all look alike from more than twelve inches away, those could have been anything. Cops and soldiers made appearances, so there were glimpses of Glocks and misc. 1911s. Surefire and Lasermax made appearances, too. But I'm being Gun Geek and getting away from myself...forgivable in the context of our little forum, but this thread is really about the movie.

So.

I'll spare you the parts that tweaked my heart (dog characters always make me more involved with the human characters in any movie...tell me you didn't like Mad Max just a little more because of that cool Blue Heeler, tough guys). I'll also omit the minor incidental medical gaffes that Dr. Wifeypoo pointed out over her frothy mug o' draft after the film. I won't even bring up the fact that Apple computer has a logo in at least twenty different scenes.

I'll simply say that it did lots of things well, and avoid giving anything away.

It made me think. It made me daydream about what sort of crazy things I'd do with motorcycles, guns and superfast cars if there weren't anyone around to get hurt or stop me. Oh, and I laughed...once. It is NOT a funny movie, even featuring The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Aire.

It made me proud of the indomitable spirit in each one of us, and it made me ashamed and awed by humanity's ability to hurt itself. It made me very thankful for the friends I have around me, human and animal, and it made me keenly aware of how far I'd go to protect them. It made me think of how delicate a balance we have between darkness and light, and how important it is that ordinary heroes not falter in their vigilance.

It also scared the pee out of me.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I saw a "Making of..." on HBO the other night. The weapons trainer was saying how they actually had to get Will Smith to be sloppier in his gun handling, on the premise that somebody who's been the Last Person On Earth for several years is probably going to develop some bad habits...

Definitely looking forward to seeing the movie!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    First, this stupid thread should read 'but ramblins', but of course, I missed it and can't edit the byline...sorry all. Maybe a moderator can hit that for me?
    Fixed!

Sponsored Links