Just a little off topic...

Just a little off topic...

This is a discussion on Just a little off topic... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by QKShooter since we're going to be headed into '08 and the Mayan calender sez the world ends in 2012. I'm sure you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a little off topic...

Exclamation Just a little off topic...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    since we're going to be headed into '08 and the Mayan calender sez the world ends in 2012.
    I'm sure you at least want him to be able to get some use out of it for a few years.
    Just got back from a visit to Maya land last week. Fascinating stuff! For the official countdown to the end, go here

Some experts translate the Winter Solstice December 21, 2012, the official end of the Mayan calender and at the time when the Sun and Milky Way are expected to conjoin in the plane of the ecliptic for the first time in 25,800 years, to signify the end of the world. Others translate it to mean a new begining, or a new age.

Depending on the conventional wisdom, 2011 might be a good time to hock the house for that new Ferrari you always wanted..... or then again... maybe not....

Anyway, back to the scheduled programing...
    Attached Images
    Second Best is not an option

Lead Moderator
    Moved this post to off topic area. Looks nice and warm down there. A big change from all the snow and cold up here.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Moved this post to off topic area. Looks nice and warm down there. A big change from all the snow and cold up here.
    Hey, in a few years MI just might be considered the tropics.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hey, in a few years MI just might be considered the tropics.
    Global warming sure isn't happening up here.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    So, we've got about four years, give or take. I better get busy on my "to-do" list.

Man if I re-enlist I'll still be Active Duty in 2012....oh well. I'll be sure to have plenty of money on hand in 2011 to buy all the morons' stuff for cheap. According to my source we won't know when the end of the world will be. It will be a complete surprise to everybody not expecting it.

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    So, we've got about four years, give or take.
    Specially if Hillary wins the elections!~
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I am not taking any chances,stockpiling Reese Cups as we speak.

I went tall the ruins a few years ago. it was an amazing trip. I was lucky and had a personal guide. (my g/f) we backpacked all over the yucatan. Cheap and fun.

Where did you visit?

Quote Originally Posted by 22RSSIX View Post
    I went tall the ruins a few years ago. it was an amazing trip. I was lucky and had a personal guide. (my g/f) we backpacked all over the yucatan. Cheap and fun.

Where did you visit?
    We (my wife and I) wimped out and stayed at the Excellence Riviera in Cancun for the most part. We took a day trip into the Chichen itza and stopped at the Cenote limestone well on the way. Had a buffet lunch in one of the Mayan towns (big mistake). Still got a touch Montezumas revenge from that little bit of culinary experimentation, though it did taste pretty good.

Anyway, seen lots cops and soldiers pulling tourists over to search their vehicles, both on the way there and on the way back. I got the feeling had we been driving, it would have been an expensive trip after paying out the bribes and all.

Besides that, it was a good trip.

T

Administrator

Thumbs up

Rocky...I was wondering wha happened to that post from T. Kanaley.

I was getting ready to respond to it and it was gone.
    Then I had to jump off.

Great Photo! Thanks for posting it.
    I hope the Mayans are wrong because I don't think I'll get to see any of that before 2012.
    Some day though and that's a promise.

Some folks think that is only where/when that particular calendar ended...and that there is another "continuation" out there somewhere that just has not been discovered yet.

Remember folks Huge End Of The World Party at my place the night before & plenty of beer, music, and good food right up till the very end.
    Be There Or Be Square!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cool I've always wanted to go there.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    They still letting you climb to the top?

We went a hand full of years ago and they were still letting you climb up. Heard they closed it.

My wife and I love Mexico, been several times. Looking forward to going back.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

What did you think of the cenote? We were going to cliff dive in one, but some yahoo got hurt and they closed it off the day before we got there..... Did you see the fish with no eyes?

We were there 4 years ago, wow....

The trip that we took 4 years ago we stayed in Merida(capitol city). We took busses all over to the different ruins and a cenote and even the trip to tulum we bussed it but got there too late. so a taxi driver took us to a beach resort(off the map type of place) the guy cooked us dinner on a bbq grill. it was really cool. the next day we went to cancun and rented a jeep wrangler and put the top down and I drove back to merida(3ish hours).

We also did a mayan sweat lodge(like the native american) After the sweat lodge you cover yourself in red clay and bake in the sun. I must of lost 5 pounds of sweat and was freezing in the hot sun after that.

the ones i remember were chichen itza, uxmal, tulum.

I never got sick on my 14 day trip and we ate at many different places. One was a party store and two old ladies were cooking chicken on gas stoves in a back room with dirt floors while the other chickens they were not cooking were running around. It was one of the better meals and only cost us like 6 dollars for two people with cokes.

It was a trip of a lifetime for me. A 14 day trip cost me less than 2500.00 and that includes the jeep rental and my 900.00 airfare.

I have been back to cancun, but that sucks. I reccommend staying on Isla Mujeres (translates to the Island of Women). If you want to go off track you can find places to stay for like 14 dollars a night. and it is more laid back and not the college party of cancun.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    They still letting you climb to the top?

We went a hand full of years ago and they were still letting you climb up. Heard they closed it.

My wife and I love Mexico, been several times. Looking forward to going back.

Besides the damage it was causing from all the people climbing it, a couple people fell to their death a few years back, so they decided to close it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links