Time to break out the tinfoil hats.

This is a discussion on Time to break out the tinfoil hats. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just interested in what you folks think about this kind of stuff. FBI aims for world's largest biometrics database http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071222/..._biometrics_dc Sat Dec 22, 6:40 AM ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to break out the tinfoil hats.

Just interested in what you folks think about this kind of stuff.

FBI aims for world's largest biometrics database

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071222/..._biometrics_dc

Sat Dec 22, 6:40 AM ET
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion project to build the world's largest computer database of biometrics to give the government more ways to identify people at home and abroad, the Washington Post reported on Friday.
    The FBI has already started compiling digital images of faces, fingerprints and palm patterns in its systems, the paper said.
    In January, the agency -- which focuses on violations of federal law, espionage by foreigners and terrorist activities -- expects to award a 10-year contract to expand the amount and kinds of biometric information it receives, it said.
    At an employer's request, the FBI will also retain the fingerprints of employees who have undergone criminal background checks, the paper said.
    If successful, the system, called Next Generation Identification, will collect the biometric information in one place for identification and forensic purposes, the Post said.
    (Reporting by Rachelle Younglai; Editing by John O'Callaghan)

Maybe we won't have to get a barcode stamp afterall if they can use this instead.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

If you have a drivers license, or ever attended school in America, they already have all your information in their database.

Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    If you have a drivers license, or ever attended school in America, they already have all your information in their database.
    Well, since I was in the Corps and used to work in the civilian nuclear industry they have my fingerprints and everything else.

But still I wonder what the negative potential of this type of technology is to freedom and privacy.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    After being in the military for 24 years and 6 years as a Federal Agent I'm quite sure they have all they need to know about me. During the Cold War I was advised that the Russians had a file on me. Got nothing to hide and to old to start worrying.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Biometrics involves more than just fingerprints. DNA, facial recognition, iris patterns, hand geometry, and more. Big Brother is just around the corner.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I have no problem with the technology. It is just an extension of what has been used for decades. Your picture is on your driver's license. Many people need to have their fingerprints on file for a variety of reasons. Certain communications is montored. I'm sure some consider those examples 'Big Brother' but collecting that information does more good than harm.

I welcome the technology because it will alleviate the necessity to remember lock combinations and passwords as well as aid law enforcement and security, making their jobs easier. As to privacy concerns, if you haven't done anything wrong there is nothing to be concerned about. It would only be an invasion of privacy if that data was used for some discriminatory process. Despite continued complaints from libertarians and others, the governmentis not watchng you unless there is reason for you to be watched.

No tin foil hat here.

I'm only worried if they start mailing tickets after their cameras catch j-walking. Other than that I can't recall the last law I broke. Invaluable law enforcement tool and I have to wonder what took them so long. Hopefully they'll get to where they can scan an image and the software can spit out a match or possibles so IDing schmucks caught on tape can be easier.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    If I may take my tinfoil hat off for a moment, you have to think about who exactly 'they' is. Government bureaucracies are very territorial, and they pretty much don't play well with others, and federal bureaucracies play particularly poorly with state and local LE.

Yeah, some of your information might be scattered around in various places, but there is no magic database, and everytime there is attempt to create one, it gets sued out of existence. Just look at the stories on how poorly the no-fly list actually works. If the MIBs were competent enough to know your permanent record because you lifted a lollipop in third grade, you'd think they could at least get the terrorist list right.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I have no problem with the technology. It is just an extension of what has been used for decades. Your picture is on your driver's license. Many people need to have their fingerprints on file for a variety of reasons. Certain communications is montored. I'm sure some consider those examples 'Big Brother' but collecting that information does more good than harm.

I welcome the technology because it will alleviate the necessity to remember lock combinations and passwords as well as aid law enforcement and security, making their jobs easier. As to privacy concerns, if you haven't done anything wrong there is nothing to be concerned about. It would only be an invasion of privacy if that data was used for some discriminatory process. Despite continued complaints from libertarians and others, the governmentis not watchng you unless there is reason for you to be watched.

No tin foil hat here.

Precisely the thinking that has allowed the degredation of our civil rights to their current levels. I would presume that you don't have a problem with the Patriot Act, either?

Quote Originally Posted by LMarshall73 View Post
    I would presume that you don't have a problem with the Patriot Act, either?
    You are correct. I think it is important to prevent another terrorist attack. Some are less concerned than I am.

I hear a lot of people that believe their civil rights are being trampled, as you do. However, not a single one has presented evidence that their rights ave been violated in any way. The slippery slope argument is a logic flaw.

Our representatives decided that monitoring enemy communications is important so appropriate legislation was passed. Remember, we are the government.

Personally, I think disclosing this type of intelligence operation to the general public is a huge mistake.

Senior Moderator
    the government is not watching you unless there is reason for you to be watched.
    Hmm lets see. The gov. outlaws private ownership of gun 10 years from now...gives you 30 days to turn them in...and you are a gun owner. You will be watched.

If you are a U.S. citizen, but country of birth was Iraq, and we wake up and find out that several of our cities have been nuked with smuggled bombs...you can bet you'll be watched.

Got a gun permit? If the anti gun attorney general of the future, doesn't like it, and gun ownership is deemed to be less than politically correct, you'll be watched.

We become one North American Union, with no borders between Mexico and Canada, but you are an outspoken opponent of it...guess what....you'll be watched.

Lets say that the religious order that you belong to is a very outspoken opponent of homosexuality...that the future government not only sponsors, but actively encourages...you'll be watched.

The U.S.Government and those in authority give up that authority to the United Nations and its vision for a One Word Government that they alone rule. Tears earlier, you made some comments about how it was stupid thing to do as we were no being run by a government we did not elect....and someone remembered that...and now you are being "watched".

The problem with that thought process is that it only sees what is TODAY...and makes no allowance for the FUTURE. What is legal today, may not be legal tomorrow.

Yep.Those that say, I am "legal" therefore I have nothing to fear...are exactly why this technology can be developed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    When private gun ownership rights are taken away, I will be very illegal. And I will be watched because I posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hmm lets see. The gov. outlaws private ownership of gun 10 years from now...gives you 30 days to turn them in...and you are a gun owner. You will be watched.
    Pure fantasy. Martians take over (and are upset they did not win the Super Bowl) and force you into har labor.

If you are a U.S. citizen, but country of birth was Iraq, and we wake up and find out that several of our cities have been nuked with smuggled bombs...you can bet you'll be watched.
    As well you should be. Remeber what Roosevelt did interning Americans of Japanese descent. No, it was not politically correct but it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Got a gun permit? If the anti gun attorney general of the future, doesn't like it, and gun ownership is deemed to be less than politically correct, you'll be watched.
    Right. They are going to watch 120 million gun owners...Sure. (40% gun ownership according to recent polls)

We become one North American Union, with no borders between Mexico and Canada, but you are an outspoken opponent of it...guess what....you'll be watched.
    More fantasy. There is no North American Union, there is no Amero, there is no government conspiracy.

Lets say that the religious order that you belong to is a very outspoken opponent of homosexuality...that the future government not only sponsors, but actively encourages...you'll be watched.
    There are many religious organizations that do not condone homosexuality or homosexualmarriage. Do you think they are being 'watched?'

The U.S.Government and those in authority give up that authority to the United Nations and its vision for a One Word Government that they alone rule. Tears earlier, you made some comments about how it was stupid thing to do as we were no being run by a government we did not elect....and someone remembered that...and now you are being "watched".
    The fact is that we are the government, something the tin foil crowd is loathe to believe. We hold our representatives and elected officials accountable. If you do not like their policies spread your message and find a majority to agree with you. Then, you can 'watch' those antigun, one worlders and keep them in check.

The problem with that thought process is that it only sees what is TODAY...and makes no allowance for the FUTURE. What is legal today, may not be legal tomorrow.
    True. And we decide what is legal and what is not.

Yep.Those that say, I am "legal" therefore I have nothing to fear...are exactly why this technology can be developed.
    This technology is being developed because there is a merket for it. And the fact is that if you are engaged in illegal activities or are conspiring to engage in illegal activities then you should be watched.

Again, there is no evidence that [the generic] your civil rights have been or will be violated. When they are, let me know and I will espouse my opposition to am abuse of authrity. Until then, this type of technology will help law enforcement, security, and commercial industry. We already have controls in place to protect your rights. They work pretty darn well.

Senior Moderator
    Well...I can see that went right over your head.

Just two things and I'm outta here.

One have you ever read the Patriot Act? If you didn't don't feel bad, most of our Senators didn't either. Its the littles additions that were added to it that are way in the back that suck...which got passed right along with the rest of it. Don't take my word for it...read it yourself.

Two..
    There is no North American Union, there is no Amero, there is no government conspiracy.
    Have you read the news lately ? How can you miss this unless you keep your head stuck in the sand? It almost here...but its defiantly coming...and NO it is not a conspiracy.Its a done deal.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you disagree with anything the government is doing, you will be watched

doesn't matter if you have no intention of performing any illegal activity

Hotguns post is the truth

You wont/dont believe it until YOU are caught in a situation

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links