An Essay on RKBA

An Essay on RKBA

This is a discussion on An Essay on RKBA within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi, I recently starting working on an associates degree and currently am taking a communiciations (writing) course. The final grade for this class involves writing ...

Thread: An Essay on RKBA

An Essay on RKBA

Hi,

I recently starting working on an associates degree and currently am taking a communiciations (writing) course. The final grade for this class involves writing a "Persuasive Essay". The instructor had 4 topics to choose from but also allowed us to choose our own subject to her approval.

Well, I decided to take a chance and submit a topic as the four listed did not excite me:

-Employee Privacy Rights in the Workplace
    -Controversial Television Advertising
    -Performance-Enhancing Drugs in Sports
    -Outsourcing Jobs to Foreign Countries

So I submitted an idea to write an essay on the 2nd Amdendment - The right to keep and bear arms as it pertains to concealed carry.

And to my surprise, she approved it.

Now here is my quandry/question.

I am looking for references that will support the right/need for concealed carry. One that comes to mind is the decision of the Supreme Court which states the police are not responsible to protect us (where a woman was killed even though she had a restraining order and a relative (IIRC) tried to sue the police department.

The delay of response to the scene
    - due to no phone
    - 911 problems
    - all officers are at other scenes

just to mention a few.

Please understand that I am not trying to get someone to write this for me (and I know there are a number of members here that can write really well). I am looking for references (web sites, books, magazine articles, etc.) that I can look and and use as appropriately. Even a point in a particular directions would be helpful.

I have a number of topics that I have read about but need more then just what I remember, I need references.

Thanks ahead of time,

Eric

VIP Member
    You picked a nice one.
    First one:
    Do a Google search on Warren v. District of Columbia, Riss v. City of New York (In dismissing the complaint, the trial court noted that there are many crimes being committed daily and the police force is inadequate to deal with its "tremendous responsibilities". ) and you should be flooded with sites relating to the issue.
    Also check http://www.nraila.org and do a search for police duty to protect. you should get some other stuff there.

I tried to find a good site related to 911 response times, but I couldn't. I have the feeling that those stats are not kept in a nationwide basis. You will find specific cases for sure.

As for officers at other scenes, Major Natural Disasters and looters come to mind. Also the Rodney King riots where police all but evaporated and storeowners had to take up their own defense.

Assistant Administrator
    Eric - also try a search over on the high road ( http://www.thehighroad.org ) - I mention this cos over time there have been some threads dealing with almost this. Confine search to ''general gun discussions'' and ''Legal & political'' forums.

One or two I recall were started almost by anti's - and much info was brought in which would I am sure help you.

Not sure what best to use for search criteria but give it a try. If I find or recall something on this I'll post a link later.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is one for starters

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...threadid=61075
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

+1 on the serch on the high road there are tons of good threads over there on this subject

Thanks

Many thanks, this is exactly what I am looking for. That is one of the reasons this is my main forum for CCW.

Eric

Also look at the articles and other information available besides all the news articles at www.keepandbeararms.com, and www.gunowners.org, and www.vcdl.org, and www.a-human-right.com.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Here's a couple more websites that may help:

www.davekopel.com
    www.thearmedcitizen.com
    www.keepandbeararms.com
    http://www.saf.org/journal.html

Also, I don't have a link, but look up John Ashcroft's position on the 2nd Amendment.

Links