Temper tantrums

This is a discussion on Temper tantrums within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This evening, I was tasked with running down to the portrait studio at JC Penney to pick up the family holiday portraits with my 20 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temper tantrums

Temper tantrums

This evening, I was tasked with running down to the portrait studio at JC Penney to pick up the family holiday portraits with my 20 month old son. Normally he is the most well behaved child in existence. For some reason tonight, as soon as we walk into the studio, he starts throwing the BIGGEST temper tantrum I've ever seen. The studio is trying to explain to me how they lost the photo Christmas cards we ordered while Myles is screaming as loud as he possibly can and thrashing all over the floor. It was to the point where I thought he would end up hurting himself if I didn't try to calm him down. During the "struggle", his jacket zipper runs across my latest thumb wound from shooting .357 mags through an airweight revolver, causing blood to start dripping down my thumb, plus he kicks my jacket up over the butt of the M&P that was on my hip. So now I've got a store full of wide eyed people staring at this bleeding crazy guy with a gun trying to wrestle with a toddler that's screaming bloody murder. So I pick up Myles, grab the pics, tell the store that I'll call tonight about the cards, and high tailed it out of there. Ugh what a night!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Aah, the life of a new Daddy. Did he calm down when you got back home?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Hahahahah man I can't wait to have kid(s)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Aah, the life of a new Daddy. Did he calm down when you got back home?
    He calmed back down as soon as we got in the car. So we went to McDonalds and ate a happy meal and played on the play thingy for a bit. On the way out of McDonalds, we threw another raging temper tantrum. Then we threw one at the gas station, another while trying to take a bath, and we just got done with one while we were trying to go to sleep.

I think our problem was that he only napped for about 30 minutes today instead of the normal 2 hours. It's one of those things that really teaches you patience, humility, and self control. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Hahahahah man I can't wait to have kid(s)
    They're fun :) Seriously life changing, but well worth it

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    They're fun :) Seriously life changing, but well worth it
    Haha,I just got a pair of 8 week old kittens,and I'm realizing how much THEIR changing my life (like one trying to jump on the nightstand where my chambered p3at was sitting,...)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Haha,I just got a pair of 8 week old kittens,and I'm realizing how much THEIR changing my life (like one trying to jump on the nightstand where my chambered p3at was sitting,...)
    An 8 week old kitten can't pull the trigger, and even if he knocks it off onto the floor, it won't go off. It's all good.

WC Fields said it best!

"Kids are like elephants. I don't mind looking at them, I just don't want to own any"!

Stories like this will scare Limatunes & JD.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    This evening, I was tasked with running down to the portrait studio at JC Penney to pick up the family holiday portraits with my 20 month old son. Normally he is the most well behaved child in existence. For some reason tonight, as soon as we walk into the studio, he starts throwing the BIGGEST temper tantrum I've ever seen. The studio is trying to explain to me how they lost the photo Christmas cards we ordered while Myles is screaming as loud as he possibly can and thrashing all over the floor. It was to the point where I thought he would end up hurting himself if I didn't try to calm him down. During the "struggle", his jacket zipper runs across my latest thumb wound from shooting .357 mags through an airweight revolver, causing blood to start dripping down my thumb, plus he kicks my jacket up over the butt of the M&P that was on my hip. So now I've got a store full of wide eyed people staring at this bleeding crazy guy with a gun trying to wrestle with a toddler that's screaming bloody murder. So I pick up Myles, grab the pics, tell the store that I'll call tonight about the cards, and high tailed it out of there. Ugh what a night!
    They say that you can take a test to see if you have the patience, flexibility and endurance to be a good parent. You take this test when your child reaches the age of two.

Oh, can't they be unpredictable? My 3 year old performed a very nice upchuck in the checkout line at WalMart yesterday, didn't expect that.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    Stories like this will scare Limatunes & JD.
    No, it would strengthen their resolve... she's stubborn, and he's a jarhead.

We reared three, who all became obedient and well-disciplined. It is wise to notice when the child hasn't had his proper rest, which explains the unfortunate events in the OP. But most of them, even when well-rested, will try repeatedly to find out where the limits are; and consistency then will be costly and unpleasant, but the rewards are worth it. And the fruits of inconsistency can be horrendous.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Don't forget, "spare the rod, spoil the child". Worked for myself, all of my family, and millions of people before us.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Don't forget, "spare the rod, spoil the child". Worked for myself, all of my family, and millions of people before us.
    Amen. But in this instance, Stickybeatz informs us that the toddler was overtired and acting all out of character, though he was ordinarily a very well-behaved child.

As adults, we have the responsibility to buck up and behave ourselves aright even when we are tired or have a headache. This is not true of a 20-month old. When he is faced with an overwhelming physical irritant, he is pretty much at its mercy.

The Lord knows I wore my kids out more times than anybody could count, but sometimes the little demons are beyond good and evil and just need to be restrained until they can fall asleep.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

The few times my kids acted up like that, we packed it all in and took it to the house. After a couple of times of that, they soon learned that acting up meant going home and no stops at the toy dept. Be a pack leader!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links