I found out yesterday I have cataracts - in both eyes!

This is a discussion on I found out yesterday I have cataracts - in both eyes! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I'm optimistic; cataract surgery means I'll be able to see better than I can now and I thought I could see good now. Last ...

Thread: I found out yesterday I have cataracts - in both eyes!

Senior Moderator

I found out yesterday I have cataracts - in both eyes!

Well, I'm optimistic; cataract surgery means I'll be able to see better than I can now and I thought I could see good now.

Last March they measured my vision in both eyes at 20-20 and I could almost make out the 20-15 line. Know what the 20 - 20 means by the way? It means you can see at 20 feet what a person with normal vision sees at 20 feet. If you have 20 - 40 vision, you see at 20 feet what a person with normal vision sees at 40 feet and so on.

I could tell from reading that my vision was changing significantly so I made an appointment with my eye doctor.

They did a number of measurements and tests, but the one that really impressed me was a light dispersion test or something like that. You look at the vision chart and they shine a light in your eye. When they shined the light in my left eye, the chart disappeared - I mean the whole chart! I said I can't see the chart because you are blocking my vision witht the light and the technian said that wasn't what was happening.

I think I have figured out how the test works. When they shine the light in an eye with a cataract in it, the cataract disperses the light in such a way that you can't see past the cataract. The maturity of the cataract determines what you can see. I measured 20 - 100 in that test. I guess that's why I thought the sights had fallen off all my handguns - I couldn't see them.

Actually, I measured about 20 - 20 in my right eye and 20 - 35 in the left - under ideal conditions - which we rarely have, I might add. Anyway I meet the requirements for my insurance to pay so that's good.

I've always thought cataracts was problems for older guys, not us 59 year olds?

2. Remove Ads

My Dad told me NOT to get Lasik (sp) or some other type of eye surgery now but to wait until I have cataracts and get everything done at once.

His vision is REALLY good now after his surgery. Other than reading, he never wears glasses anymore!

Assistant Administrator
    I am getting by at 60 but - have known guys younger than me get some similar prob's - sometimes there seems a familial connection.

The test you mentioned, yeah - the degree of light scattering and so diffusion screws up what you want to see. A guy at my model flying club is waiting to get #2 eye done soon - and has mentioned how bright car lights oncoming sometimes are most unpleasant.

Good to know that these days corrective measures are very effective. Once you get that sorted out it'll probably be a novelty shooting the handgun again. I am sorta accepting of my prob with iron sights - mainly cos of my lost accomodation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My mother (73) had cataracts and she had the surgery where the lense is removed and an artificial one is inserted. She had the choice of being able to see midrange and far without correction or near without correction. She chose the mid-far since she was used to reading glasses by then. The surgery itself took all of 15 minutes per eye (second eye was done a week after the first one) and now she sees like an eagle on the prowl. In fact I realized I had to get glasses for long range when she was able to read far away road signs that I didn't even notice that existed.

Senior Moderator
    It's interesting about the replacement lens power. I've already told my doctor I needed to be able to sharply focus on the front sight of my handgun without glasses. He said ok.

I'm use to using my left eye for distance and my right eye for shooting, er, reading.

P95Carry,
    "...Once you get that sorted out it'll probably be a novelty shooting the handgun again..."

I am eagerly and optimistically looking forward to shooting after the surgery.

Sorry to hear of your eye trouble. Operations to correct cataracts have come a long way in the past 20 years. I'm sure you will do well after your surgery. I developed recurring corneal erosion syndrome in my right eye, last year, following an injury, and I'm still learning how to cope with the scars while shooting... It really makes you aware of just how precious your sight is.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

DC Founder
    After I bought my first pistol 35 years ago, I spent the year or so trying to break a habit of closing my left eye when I was shooting (it must have become a habit with cap pistols, lol) and now, the only way I can shoot is with my left eye closed and I have a hard time doing that. Getting old sucks, boys and girls....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    59 huh?
    now a whole lot of things are going to start to break.
    Getting older really sucks

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Links