iPod shuffle bites the dust, or, Why I hate eBay

This is a discussion on iPod shuffle bites the dust, or, Why I hate eBay within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My oldest son wanted an iPod Shuffle for Christmas so my wife convinced me that we could get him one off eBay and a greatly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod shuffle bites the dust, or, Why I hate eBay

My oldest son wanted an iPod Shuffle for Christmas so my wife convinced me that we could get him one off eBay and a greatly reduced price. There was my first and biggest mistake, eBay, Gads.

We found one, bought it for $80 and it arrived in the mail. It was a reconditioned one. I didn't notice that in the online ad but when I went back to look, there it was in the very fine print buried in a ton of text.

It being nearly Christmas time and what with us having 5 kids to shop for, I was quite busy. So, I never tested the stupid thing to see if it worked as it should. Mistake number 2.

A Hastings store opened not too far from our house and they had iPod Nanos on sale for $100 and Shuffles on sale for $40! Boy that steamed me up.
    My daughter wanted a Nano so we got her one and my son one as well. But we already have this stupid Shuffle right. So I told my wife that I would just keep the Shuffle.

Well, here it ism Christmas morning and my daughter has spent the whole day loading up her iPod with all her music and I asked her to put some of my favorites on my new-reconditioned Shuffle.

Well guess what boys and girls? The stupid thing doesn't work. Not at all. Powers up, but iTunes doesn't even recognize it as a Shuffle, it sees it as a USB storage device and will not let us use iTunes to place music files on it.

After trying for several hours to get the silly thing to work, I reached my ultimate limit and the little blue iPod Shuffle impacted the kitchen floor at a high rate of speed thus separating it from several other parts of itself. Problem solved.
    Of course, my $80 is as good as flushed down the toilet but I sure felt good watching that piece of junk come apart. Not much inside one of those stupid things either.

I'll get myself an iPod Nano like theirs when they go on sale again or I just will do without like I have my whole life up until now. No biggie.

Lesson learned again, don't buy electronics off eBay.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Mike, consider it an $80 lesson on internet shopping. We all have suffered one disappointment or other buying online.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I quit doing business with ebay a while back, paypal too. You really have to do your homework buying from ebay, their whole "square deal" thing is not for the faint of heart.

There may be some good deals to be had, but not for me anymore. I'd rather go somewhere that will honor their product. At lease someone I can see face to face.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Assistant Administrator
    The old ''caveat emptor'' Mike ain't it - altho on balance much can be had from ebay successfully.

I have had some good deals more often than not but for sure electronics stuff is perhaps the most likely to bite back.

I got a 4Gb USB flash stick a while ago - puter (both in fact) would not see it as any good - couldn't even format. Wrote the guy and in fairness he sent a substitute/replacement and sent other one back - very dutifully.

Replacement was no good either .... even tho a known make (Samsung IIRC). So - gave up - too much hassle to keep returning stuff - plus discovering soon after some 2Gb Memorex units at Circuit City for a mere #17 each!

I am iPod illiterate, and had no idea what a ''shuffle'' was - or even a "nano" ....... must be my advanced years LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sorry to hear that the Christmas present went bust. Last year, I bought a refurb iPod from this place for my stepson (which still works great BTW): http://www.expercom.com/

Only problem is - once they sell out, it takes a while for them to get more inventory in. And they are pretty well sold out now due to it being Christmas.

Senior Moderator
    Yep, electronics like that are a no buy on ebay. My Mac, my nano, my iPhone and any other Apple related product has come DIRECTLY from Apple.com or an Apple retail store.

Any problem I have ever had has been promptly repaired or replaced at no additional cost to me in accordance with my warranty.

Apple really stands by their products as long as said products come from them.

Sorry your shuffle was a muffle.. It will free you up to get an iPod Touch or something equally as nifty!

Administrator

Ahhh Come On Guys!

I buy and sell on Ebay all the time. It is still possible to get great deals but, it's getting tougher.
    I never crook any of my bidders and I am always 100% upfront and honest about anything and everything that I sell.
    There are still many fantastic sellers on Ebay though it's sort of been taken over by the mega "drop shippers" and the home based business people.
    It sure is not a small, tight, community anymore like it used to be when I first started on there.

I've also never had any trouble with Paypal.
    The IMPORTANT thing to remember about Paypal is NEVER pay any attention to any Paypal E-mail.
    Never link to anything from a Paypal E-mail. Just go into your My Ebay from Ebay or access Paypal from an Ebay page BECAUSE everything that is legitimate concerning your Paypal account you can review from on Ebay from Ebay.
    That way you'll never get get scammed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I buy and sell on Ebay all the time. It is still possible to get great deals but, it's getting tougher.
    I never crook any of my bidders and I am always 100% upfront and honest about anything and everything that I sell.
    There are still many fantastic sellers on Ebay though it's sort of been taken over by the mega "drop shippers" and the home based business people.
    It sure is not a small, tight, community anymore like it used to be when I first started on there.

I've also never had any trouble with Paypal.
    The IMPORTANT thing to remember about Paypal is NEVER pay any attention to any Paypal E-mail.
    Never link to anything from a Paypal E-mail. Just go into your My Ebay from Ebay or access Paypal from an Ebay page BECAUSE everything that is legitimate concerning your Paypal account you can review from on Ebay from Ebay.
    That way you'll never get get scammed.
    I buy lots of movies on Ebay. It's the only place you can seem to get some of those oldies but goodies, especially on DVD!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    The only good part of that story was that you didn't give it to your son on Chistmas morning. That would have sucked.

eBay is a buyer beware environment. We check feedback, we leave positive feedback for those who have a good transaction with us, and send a note immediately to those who we have a problem with, explain the problem and give them time to respond. No response = negative feedback. Even the large eBay stores will respond if you give them sufficient time and explain the problem to them.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'll get myself an iPod Nano like theirs when they go on sale again or I just will do without like I have my whole life up until now. No biggie.
    If you can, go to the Apple on-line store. A Nano starts at $149 (plus shipping) and they will laser engrave the back for you for free..... A minor theft prevention step.

I got a Classic to replace my old Ipod a few weeks ago, and it was 4 days from order to delivery, even with the engraving. (They'll engrave Shuffles to.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Check out Apples refurb site. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nclm=Certified

I got my last 2 macs, and an iPod. They come with the same 1 year warranty, and 90 days support, as the new ones do. Not all of the products are there all the time. So you will have to check back.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Thanks for the links and the advice all. I wouldn't mind having a Nano now that I have fiddled with the ones we got for the kids. Pretty nifty little gizmos.

I'll check out the apple re-furb site when I am ready to take a crack at it again. I might just stick with guns though, the original point and click interfaces.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey QKShooter,what is your Ebay user name? After our little bit of business on this forum, I'd trust buying anything from you via Ebay. As for my over 100 Ebay purchases so far I've had no problems. I do my homework though.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

yep. there are very few things i buy on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links