"Man with a gun" call...turned taser party for random guy and wife

This is a discussion on "Man with a gun" call...turned taser party for random guy and wife within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by raevan What I can never understand is, If a person is not breaking a law, why don't they cooperate with the Police? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Man with a gun" call...turned taser party for random guy and wife

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    What I can never understand is, If a person is not breaking a law, why don't they cooperate with the Police?
    The so-called failure to cooperate frequently is attributable to failure to communicate. For example, see Message #5 on this thread. I have seen similar examples where commands were mumbled or unclear, or where not nearly enough time was allowed for the individual to follow the given command.

My opinion is that some LEO's are too eager to try out their tazers on live bait. Perhaps their training on tazers should first include tests on animals, but then we would have to deal with PETA or the ASPCA or the like. Other the other hand, tazer training could include a self-induced taze.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

A while back I was shopping with another person who was accused of shoplifting. The shop keeper called the police, I and my friend waited till they arrived. The Police asked if we would submit to a search. We agreed, when I told the officers that I had a CPL and was armed, they took my weapon cleared it, handcuffed me and searched me. They searched my friend. After they were satisfied that we had not stolen anything, they unhancuffed me, gave me my things back and my unloaded pistol and asked me to load it later, where I wouldn't disturb anyone.

By coperating we were detained for about a half hour, but no one was hurt.
    raevan,

Don't mean to change the subject but am wondering why were you handcuffed?
    Did you give them any reason to handcuff you?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

What I can never understand is, If a person is not breaking a law, why don't they cooperate with the Police? A while back I was shopping with another person who was accused of shoplifting. The shop keeper called the police, I and my friend waited till they arrived. The Police asked if we would submit to a search. We agreed, when I told the officers that I had a CPL and was armed, they took my weapon cleared it, handcuffed me and searched me. They searched my friend. After they were satisfied that we had not stolen anything, they unhancuffed me, gave me my things back and my unloaded pistol and asked me to load it later, where I wouldn't disturb anyone.

There was actually a little humor in this incident, the Officer mentioned that my gun was a little dirty (lint). That was a little embarassing.

I would really like to know what supposed evidence made the store management convinced that your friend was stealing?

Video? Eyewitness? What?

If store security prevents me from leaving the store THAT is already arrest. Someone laying their hands on me without cause is assault.

I'll be willing to forgive someone for making an honest mistake.... up to the point where I have handcuffs on.

I'm holding a grudge then.

When someone makes a false accusation, there should be consequences.

--Travis--

Couldn't the LEOs watch him until he was clear of a crowd? Just to keep the situation from being scrutinized by the media and witnesses.

A note on Janq's comment, I had a neighbor a few years back whose teenage son had spent many days in Juvi, she told her 4 and 6 year old boys if they ever saw the cops coming toward them to run, that is what some of these kids are being taught today.

What I can never understand is, If a person is not breaking a law, why don't they cooperate with the Police? A while back I was shopping with another person who was accused of shoplifting. The shop keeper called the police, I and my friend waited till they arrived. The Police asked if we would submit to a search. We agreed, when I told the officers that I had a CPL and was armed, they took my weapon cleared it, handcuffed me and searched me. They searched my friend. After they were satisfied that we had not stolen anything, they unhancuffed me, gave me my things back and my unloaded pistol and asked me to load it later, where I wouldn't disturb anyone.

There was actually a little humor in this incident, the Officer mentioned that my gun was a little dirty (lint). That was a little embarassing.
    You are obviously more understanding than I would have been. I too would have submitted to the search and informed the officer I was carrying but I would have been highly indignant of the handcuffing (although I would have submitted) but when it was all over the shopkeeper better have had a very apologetic attitude. I am afraid I would have been consulting an attorney.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Lots of bullets means lots of chances to make use of expert marksmanship skills" --- Gecko45

"Some people ask: shoot to maim, or shoot to kill? I say, empty the chamber and let the good Lord decide." - Deputy Garcia (Reno 911)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Do you honestly believe that bystanders would have been LESS critical of a Rodney King-style baton beatdown?
    Not what i said at all , please dont straw man my post . My post was to say that the OFFICERS themselves have a duty to police the abuse of tazers and the like among thier own ranks . My point was if someone needed tazed , then another someone , then another , ect.. then an officer could likely use some remedial education on arrest control and in my dept i did that .
    If you like tazers and similar technology that is fine , it is one of the tools available to le today. If you like it a little bit too much then you are part of the problem . ( Mac that was a blanket you not a personal you ) .

I think it's important to remember that, ULTIMATELY, it's the suspect that decides how much force will be used.......by deciding just how far he's willing to go to resist arrest (or even detention).
    When we see things such as moterests being tazed for no more than turning thier backs on officers this stuff is out of control If you cannot handle the public any better than that you had best look for another line of work before someone hands you your butt in a bag .

I have walked that mile in LE shoes , and i do realise the " spin " media can put on any incident . However i do feel that use of this technology has been diverted from its rightfull place in the use of force continuum and now it seemingly resides right after a stern look and possibly before a harsh word . Remember that tazers are not proven any more safe than chemical agents , and just where both reside in the use of force scale . They both have killed a number of folk over the years and so justly reside just below lethal force . Now you tell me if a lot of the incidents we see today even remotely approach lethal force , or if its just some " cop " using the tazer because he is too scared , or too lazy to do his job in the first place . Sorry guys i normally support Le beyond all common sense ( for instance IMHO the rodny king guys should have been convicted of NOTHING because under gates and before all the arrest control they were trained to do was take a pr24 and whack the bad guy till he lays still . ) Yet they were convicted , and the folks who decided training this way were not . Ill close by saying that the state of " tazings " we see today is both a disgrace to LE and a dis-service to we the public whom they are supposed to serve .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Oh let's review that "conviction".

They were found not guilty, LA malcontents rioted.

The Bush Justice department tried them AGAIN. (illegally, in my view) And it was made very clear to all concerned that they had BETTER convict them that time.

--Travis--

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Point taken Travis , and again it seems that the entire concept of " vicarious liability " is missing from CA , well at least when it comes to .gov shortcomings .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links