Got to meet Sheppard Smith tonight

This is a discussion on Got to meet Sheppard Smith tonight within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have told everyone in the past so it is no secret, I work at WHBQ FOX 13 in Memphis TN. As everyone knows by ...

Thread: Got to meet Sheppard Smith tonight

Got to meet Sheppard Smith tonight

I have told everyone in the past so it is no secret, I work at WHBQ FOX 13 in Memphis TN.

As everyone knows by now Benazir Bhutto was killed in Pakistan this morning and it was the major news event of the day.

How does this all connect you might ask? Well, Sheppard Smith, one of the big news anchors at FOX News is from a small town in Mississippi not too far South of Memphis. He was on vacation for the Christmas holiday and was in his home town in Mississippi. FOX wanted him to host his show at 6pm tonight, but, he was in Mississippi. So, FOX decided to have him do his show tonight via satellite from our studios here in Memphis.

I got to talk to him for a bit. About 10 minutes or so. He is a very nice guy, just a down to Earth Mississippi boy when you talk to him. Much friendlier than some of the other big name network news anchors I have met in the past (Dan Rather, the late Peter Jennings and Geraldo , don't get me started on that guy).

It was a pretty normal day up until about 2pm when we found out all this was going to happen and then my day became very hectic. Running temporary cables to satellite trucks, patching satellite feeds to places they are not normally run. It made the day fly by.

Anyway, I just thought some of you might like to know that Shep is a pretty nice guy in real life.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Thats a neat perk of your job. I wouldnt imagine that most of them are not nice guys, glad to hear Shep is, I like him on the TV.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 27th, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool. I don't know who he is (don't see TV except at the gym....which is infrequent) but that's neat he came to town for a visit. I'm glad he's a nice guy.

SIXTO - I think your glass is half full of rose colored water.

Austin

I can't recall a face to that name...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Mike - Glad to hear you thought he is a good guy. I always liked him but found his emotional rantings during Katrina coverage to be a bit too melodramatic and very un-FOX like.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post

SIXTO - I think your glass is half full of rose colored water.
    Nope, just a typo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a 'Fox Report' hat...always liked him...and I agree with you about Geraldo!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    Mike - Glad to hear you thought he is a good guy. I always liked him but found his emotional rantings during Katrina coverage to be a bit too melodramatic and very un-FOX like.
    I like him alright too, I think he does the news pretty well. I agree with the Katrina coverage. Living in Louisiana we watched the news intently as Katrina began to blow into New Orleans. He was in the Quarter, up on a balcony of a hotel during the rain screaming and pointing that the streets were flooding. The cameras panned to two large rain puddles in the street.

Of course later the streets did flood but this was way prior to the breaches.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    The only thing about him is, that since he's been in NYC, he has turned into an anti-gunner. Not a rabid anti, but a NYC Guiliani style anti. I've seen several reports & he is for registration & for the AWB.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    The only thing about him is, that since he's been in NYC, he has turned into an anti-gunner. Not a rabid anti, but a NYC Guiliani style anti. I've seen several reports & he is for registration & for the AWB.
    Dumb people can be nice too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

this guy:

I met him when he was here in Miami at WSVN (Fox) in the 1980s and 90's. He was okay but still a lukewarm anti-gunner. Here's a tip: You can't SURVIVE as a major network anchor and be pro-gun. They simply limit the number of folks who have that kind of influence. Even at Fox. Want proof? Read the book I make my AP Government kids read each year: BIAS by Bernard Goldberg.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I met him when he was here in Miami at WSVN (Fox) in the 1980s and 90's. He was okay but still a lukewarm anti-gunner. Here's a tip: You can't SURVIVE as a major network anchor and be pro-gun. They simply limit the number of folks who have that kind of influence. Even at Fox. Want proof? Read the book I make my AP Government kids read each year: BIAS by Bernard Goldberg.
    Agreed ex-soldier.

Nice book to make them read by the way.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    That's great, he comes across as a real person.

Links