Anyone Else Watching UFC79?

This is a discussion on Anyone Else Watching UFC79? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Been on for 1/2 hour now and nothing but talk. I am looking for Liddell and Hughes to win....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Watching UFC79?

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Been on for 1/2 hour now and nothing but talk.

I am looking for Liddell and Hughes to win.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

We're watching the countdown now. And yes we want Liddell and Hughes to win too. Too bad Matt Serra had to wimp out with a back "injury". I was wanting to see Hughes get Serra down for a little ground and pound!

tk,

Looks like we have UFC and GSD's in common. Here is a picture of our female:

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tk4878 View Post
    We're watching the countdown now. And yes we want Liddell and Hughes to win too. Too bad Matt Serra had to wimp out with a back "injury". I was wanting to see Hughes get Serra down for a little ground and pound!
    Yup same here...Serra's all talk these days...Hughes walks.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Let me know what happens cause I stopped ordering after Chuck Lidell got knocked out in like two seconds by Rampage Jackson, I was pissed.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Liddell won. Hughes lost. Well you can't have all. I have to say Liddell was looking his best. He was back to the old Liddell and it worked for him. I just don't think Hughes wants it bad enough anymore.
    Nice dog CT. We've been watching UFC since the beginning-back when Tank Abbott and Butterbean were fighting. It's not the same as back then.

Georges St. Pierre has Hughes' number these day's. Pierre has gotten better than Hughes maybe ever since they first fought and Hughes won.

Glad to see Chuck is back to form as those last loses were hard to watch.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Just didn't seem that Hughes wanted it very badly. He was totally outclassed by GSP, especially in the ground game, where Hughes is supposed to shine.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tk4878 View Post
    Liddell won. Hughes lost. Well you can't have all. I have to say Liddell was looking his best. He was back to the old Liddell and it worked for him. I just don't think Hughes wants it bad enough anymore.
    Nice dog CT. We've been watching UFC since the beginning-back when Tank Abbott and Butterbean were fighting. It's not the same as back then.
    yeah...definitely not. Ever since they tried to make a legit "sport" out of it, it hasn't been the same. Rules? Who needs rules?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I didn't think Lidell was all that impressive. Silva is not a UFC fighter and the Pride fighters routinely get beat up by the UFC fighters.

Silva barely did anything and still won the first round (in my opinion and one of the judges.) The UFC is changing. The old guard is being replaced with younger, stronger and better fighters. Lidell has no technique in either the ground game or boxing. He is immensely strong but as his two losses showed it is only a matter of a little (well, a lot of) boxing defense to have a good chance to defeat him.

Only thing I've read was one judge having silva winning the second round.

Here's a clip of an artical:

Liddell won a unanimous verdict and regained much of the mojo he'd lost in back-to-back defeats, to Jackson at UFC 71 and Keith Jardine at UFC 76.

Judges Adalaide Byrd and Dave Hagen each had it 30-27, giving all three rounds to the 38-year-old former champion. Tony Weeks scored it 29-28, giving Silva the second round.

Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Only thing I've read was one judge having silva winning the second round.
    I thought Liddell beat him up pretty good in the second. It shows how judging these matches is so very subjective, though they usually get it right. I think we should go back to the old days...they should fight until someone wins.

I really have to say that all of the fights on the card were rather unimpressive. I want my $40 back.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I really have to say that all of the fights on the card were rather unimpressive. I want my $40 back.
    I only paid $39.95.

None of the PPV fights are worth the money yet we still seem to buy it every month (at least I do.) How about the $54.95 they charged for the Hatton-Mayweather hugfest? I'm glad I waited until it was on HBO to see that...

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I thought Liddell beat him up pretty good in the second. It shows how judging these matches is so very subjective, though they usually get it right. I think we should go back to the old days...they should fight until someone wins.
    I didn't get to see it so I don't know! The old day's was pretty brutal when Gracy was running the show.

Ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links