It's raining today.

It's raining today.

This is a discussion on It's raining today. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been sitting on something for the past 15 months or so that I've kept under my hat. Right now in Waxahachie Weldon Gray the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's raining today.

It's raining today.

I've been sitting on something for the past 15 months or so that I've kept under my hat.

Right now in Waxahachie Weldon Gray the Senior is undergoing a risky surgery that will either save his life or kill him. He has a 3 in 100 chance of dying on the operating table which is almost 10 times worse odds than a normal patient. He's only 49 years old.

I first found out about this last year on my birthday. He told me he'd been fighting his insurance company, with his doctor's help, for three years for gastric bypass surgery. My dad's sick and has been for years. The pains in his body, having to wear a respirator when he sleeps at night, and the diabetes have all decreased his quality of life.

My mother told me later what I'm still not supposed to know. Without this surgery his doctor says he'd be dead within 5 years. For the first time in my life since my grandfather died when I was 7 I cried like the weak little rat that I was.

It's been a nightmare because most people interested in this surgery do it for cosmetic reasons, not to save their life. Gastric bypass surgery is radical and very expensive. Finding the money is the least of your worries and it costs a second mortgage. They're basically taking about 11 inches off of his intestines.

It's raining here today in Central Texas something awful. I couldn't sleep this morning knowing they were prepping for surgery. I drove my truck to the Chevrolet house for an oil change and a state safety inspection. I got there 30 minutes before they opened. I could change oil myself but lacking a garage and a place to put all the necessary fluids and not having a real air compressor just makes it worth paying someone else $25 to take care of it all for me. That killed about 2 hours of time. The rain is really coming down. I saw two emergency vehicles on my way back, and the dealer is only about 5 miles from where I live.

He's going under right now. They're going to try to do it microscopically first with lighted probes and cameras. If that doesn't work they're going to have to open him up. The initial procedure could take from 2 and a half to 6 hours. This is the scariest and most dangerous part.

If it works, he should lose 60 pounds in the next 30 days. Within a year he should no longer require insulin shots and he should be able to toss aside his breating apparatus. It'll change his life forever though.

I talked to him Sunday for as long as I could. I didn't want to hang up because it may have very well been the last coversation I ever had with him. If this works he'll never eat normal meals ever again. As a matter of fact he'll never be able to consume more than 4 ounces of food at once and he'll have to eat carefully measured doses of food at a constant rate.

For his last hurrah he went to the corner gas station and had a Dr. Pepper and a Mounds Bar, because he'll be forbidden to coconut from now on, and he won't be able to swallow carbonated drinks without immediately vomiting.

In the time it's taken me to type this all out, the rain has stopped but I can still hear the thunder. My siblings understand that this surgery is dangerous, but they haven't been told how likely it is to be fatal.

6 months ago when I was home for a weekend Dad took me through his records and showed me what I needed to do to help Mom collect on his life insurance in case he doesn't make it. I haven't been the same since.

My guts are tied up in knots over this. I haven't been able to say anything to anyone because we just didn't know if it was actually going to happen until about 3 days ago. My brother and sister don't know and won't know until after the fact. My mother is a wreck and I have to be the stalwart optimist around her. I've been going around this whole time with the "You know what it happens all the time everything will be fine" attitude.

Here in a few hours one of two things will happen. I'll find out my father is going to be on the road to a miraculous recovery, or else... I don't want to think about the or else part. I have so much I should be doing today. I can't bring myself to do any of it. I've been up for 5 hours and I haven't done squat but sit in a Chevrolet dealer's waiting room watching the same CNN story about the space shuttle over and over again.

I'm going to email him the Homeboy Sights flyer and he'll open it up and laugh at it later. That's the way it's going to have to be. And the weather station says it's going to rain off and on all day today.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Sorry to hear what you are going through, modern medicine as it is provides hope though. From what you have written your Dad seems like a fighter, more often than not the will to go on cannot be beat. Best wishes.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Your family has my best wishes and I hope the surgery turns out fine. We've got some of the best doctors in the world, so your dad is in good hands.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Euc,

Prayers for your dad, for you and for your family.

-Scott-

Good luck Euc, hope everything turns out for the best.

A1c Lickey

Best wishes to you and your family.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - my strongest thoughts are with you and yours. I do know exactly how you feel - waiting on an outcome of risky surgery. The knots inside are terrible and it is hard as heck to do anything that remotely gets your mind off it all.
    For the first time in my life since my grandfather died when I was 7 I cried like the weak little rat that I was.
    Dear fella - ''weak little rat'' - come on - there is nothing weak about tears - and I doubt anyone here, even the ''hardest'' of us would not admit to shedding tears at times. There is too much of this ''being a man'' deal - we are sentient, emotional beings and weeping is way normal - use it to good effect because it is therapeutic.

This is indeed very tricky surgery - but with modern techniques and skills immensely ''doable'' - sure the risk is there - but the odds are better than for some proceedures and, despite a huge way-of-life adaptation that will be needed - it is surely going to be a great means of improving quality of life.

Please, do come back and post soonest - share your feelings with us - we are a small family and in situations like this it usually helps to blow smoke and share. You have good friends here - and we are behind you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Hi Euclidean

I'll be thinking about you and your family and the ordeal that you are going through right now.
    A great portion of your thread rings loudly & so very close to home.
    I will hope and pray that he does just fine and that you stay strong & filled with hope for a great and successful surgical outcome.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    You have good friends here - and we are behind you.
    +1

Rick
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

My prayers are with you, Mr. Gray Sr., and his surgeon.

My father went through surgery to remove a 90% blockage in his carotid artery. They told me he had a 30% chance of suffering a massive stroke on the table. He now looks like he had a run-in with Jack the ripper, but is otherwise fine. Miracles happen every day.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Euc,

I hope by now he is out of surgery and on the road to recovery. You are way too hard on yourself. The thought of losing your dad is tough. All your life, he's been between you and forever. There's nothing wrong with finding it daunting. I wish you many years with your dad, and for him a new lease on life. Get some rest, tonight.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Lead Moderator
    Euc,

Hope all went well.........
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Well it's been a long day playing lots of phone tag. The short version is, everything's okay.

The long version is that they had to cut him open and do it the old fashioned way. He is in a lot of pain and the recovery he will face will be much lengthier due to the fact that have to cut so many muscles that way. However the surgeon vowed that one way or another this procedure would not be delayed any on his watch.

I believe he was in the operating room for 6.5 hours, about 30 minutes longer than the normal duration.

He looks terrible, he's groggy, but he knew who my mom was, he's alive, and he's stable.

We're not out of the woods yet as such. Due to the method they had to employ, he's going to be in there another 3 days at least. They're looking for bleeding and bacteria, and if they find either one he goes right back under the knife for a patch up job. For a week after that he'll have to stay in Waxahachie in case of infection. However the surgeon assures us he has never heard of anyone dying from infection following this procedure.

There's not that many times you feel so scared as I was this morning. But this was it. This was the big risk. It's standard procedure from here on out.

What's somewhat amusing to me is through this whole thing he has constantly been complaining he'll miss work not how sore he's going to be or anything like that.

I feel like I've been pinned under a truck for the past year and a quarter, and someone finally rolled it off of me. I've known things about this procedure I wasn't supposed to know for that long. For months I couldn't even mention it in front of my own brother or sister and that was the worst.

It's bizarre to think how a thing like this can have such divergent consequences. The eventual consequence of this successful operation will mean Dad will be around when I'm 35. The other consequence is something I still don't want to think about.

For various reasons I will not go into on a public internet forum, no one could talk about it for such a long time until it was right upon us. That was the worst part, knowing that there would be no support, no prayer, and no council from extended family, friends, acquaintances or even sympathetic strangers until the moment of truth had arrived.

Perhaps in a sign of things to come, although this morning was one of downpours and thunder while the surgery was getting underway, the evening saw the sun part the thick clouds after I had found out he had come off of the operating table alive. What was so dangerous has passed.

Galatians Chapter 6 Verse 9 and 10 says "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith." The amount of support that we have rallied as a family at this late hour has been overwhelming, and it is remarkable there are so many people in the world who personify this commandment. Thank you all for your well wishes, thoughts, prayers, encouragement, and meditations.

DC Founder
    Ditto on everything above, Euc, I sincerely hope that all turns out well for your Dad, your family and you. It's true that doctor's can do some pretty miraculous things these days and I'm confident this will be the case here. I don't know alot about this particular surgery or what he'll be going through after surgery, but I can tell you firsthand, he'll never miss 11" of intestines. At least I don't miss 13" they took of mine.

And, if we can't cry for the safety of own family, who can we cry for?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - I am SO relieved for you. The burden you have carried all these months must have taken its toll - trying to deal with that AND not feel able to tell others only makes it worse.

I can sense how your spirits have soared, even tho there is quite a lot yet to get straightened out - the really tricky part is thankfully done and now it should be a case of onwards and upwards.

Thanks for the update - I was almost loathe to come back to this thread - just in case. OTOH I felt that in fact things were going to go OK and am delighted to have good news. I hope you can relax again a bit more, and revel in the new status quo.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links