Child Support

This is a discussion on Child Support within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was wondering since this forum has so many members maybe someone here may be able to help. My daughter has 2 children, the father ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Support

Child Support

I was wondering since this forum has so many members maybe someone here may be able to help.
    My daughter has 2 children, the father don't want anything to do with either one and is in the military. Army to be exact. She has tried for 6 years to get child support from him. Now it seems to me if he is in the army, they should be able to track him and make him pay. We were told at one time that since he is active military serving overseas he is exempt from child support. BULL! That says to me that if I want to make 100 babies and not have to pay, all I have to do is join the army??

This is absurd. She finally got a court order demanding he pay money to her for support. He did not pay in December as he was told. My daughter contacted her case worker and all she was told was "Oh well, he will have to make 2 payments next month". What is this?? This could go on for years. I don't mind trying to support my grand children, but I have always been raised to take care of my own. Whats going on in the USA? Even if he is active duty overseas that has no bearing on his income or responsibilities. I hope that maybe here on this forum there may be someone with some knowledge as to how to get him to pay.

By the way, his mom is so religious that she actually called the IRS to report the she forgot to claim a 5.00 bill she found found on her tax return! BUT she will give no information as to her sons where abouts even though her other 2 sons have told my daughter that he has been at their home, and he keeps in touch with his mom. She says she don't know where he is, but according to her 2 sons she does.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

2. Remove Ads

It's fairly simple if he's active military. If you happen to know what command he is in, you can contact his commanding officer, they will automatically deduct the payment from his pay check. If you don't know what command he is with, you might try contacting the Red Cross(they can track any serviceman down) or just go to this website...

"Military Child Support/Alimony Garnishment ProceduresStep-by-Step instructions about how the Defense Finance and Accounting Service handle a garnishment order for child support or alimony."
    usmilitary.about.com/od/divfinance/l/blgarnish2.htm
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    I just had someone within a child support agency read your post. She is in upper management and very experienced in child support matters. She says that the military has been historically very cooperative in having their people pay and keep up with their child support responsibilities. In fact the military is one of the best known to intervene and see that child support is being paid. They will hold out the appropriate amount from his pay as necessary. She has never heard of any type of overseas exemption. As the second post mentions his commanding officer should get the ball rolling. I hope this helps
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Like everyone else said, get a hold of his CO. The military takes these things very seriously.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

PPKHEAT, did she mention the Red Cross too?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    We were told at one time that since he is active military serving overseas he is exempt from child support.
    I think they were talking about the Soldiers & Sailors Civil Relief Act, but IIRC, that only applies to INITIATING a civil proceeding against a servicemember who's stationed/deployed overseas.

If there's already a valid child support order in place, it wouldn't apply.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    PPKHEAT, did she mention the Red Cross too?
    I just asked her about the Red Cross and her child support agency does not use the Red Cross in any matter. No offense about the Red Cross, it is only the matter that her agency has all the appropriate tools available to them in dealing with child support collection.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If is is in the Army and the children are listed as his dependents, then he should be getting money in his paycheck to support those children. If he is not providing support, then he is mis using the $ and could receive at the least NJP (Non judicial Punishment) or even courts martial. She needs to find out what unit he is in (Should not be hard), and contact the 1st Sgt or the commanding officer. If he isn't getting $ for them, he should be able to. They should also have ID cards and be able to use the facilities at any military base (Hospital, commissary). I hope this helps.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I just asked her about the Red Cross and her child support agency does not use the Red Cross in any matter. No offense about the Red Cross, it is only the matter that her agency has all the appropriate tools available to them in dealing with child support collection.
    Can she give me her or a good contact number to call?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Man.....Parental irresponsability does not make me happy at all! I'm AD Navy.....if the children were EVER listed as dependents (in DEERS) then it becomes much easier to get the ball rolling.

If not.......then he's listed as the father on thier birth certificates and that'll make this move forward.

Best of luckto your daughter and the kids.
    Last edited by goldshellback; January 2nd, 2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: sp error
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Man.....Parental irresponsability does not make me happy at all!
    Me too. Thats why we probably have so many wanting to join gangs nowdays. The parents do not care so they look elswhere for support.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Get the money,this guy doesn't want to spend time with his kids.The time for
    him to build a foundation with his kids is rapidly closing.Hound him while he's
    in the service this is your best chance to get your child support.Good luck!

Distinguished Member

Something else - DEERS

Make sure the kids are enrolled in Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and get their Dependant's ID card. This will help with medical teatment and associated bills.

Mark

Administrator
    I hope everything works out for your Daughter and her two kids. Don't give up.
    Keep fighting the good fight.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

+1 To those who said to contact the commanding officer. You (she) will have to do some paperwork etc... probably, but they can garnish his wages and she should get full back-pay for the time he didn't pay as well. The military does this for people that don't pay their rent - wage garnishment for landlords is pretty common. For child support it should be a no brainer. If he denies that they are his children, get a DNA test done - not sure if the military would pay for this or not.

If you don't know what command he's in, but have his name and rank, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help you track this guy down.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links