Any P.E.T.A. members here?

This is a discussion on Any P.E.T.A. members here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope not, tho apologies if you are! I do not commit cruelty to animals but neither do I subscribe to the extremist views of ...

Thread: Any P.E.T.A. members here?

Assistant Administrator

I hope not, tho apologies if you are! I do not commit cruelty to animals but neither do I subscribe to the extremist views of the likes of P.E.T.A.

Once again ''welfare extremism'' knew no bounds - see the article ......

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news....7515&rfi=6

Outrage on the green

Maria Garriga,

Register Staff08/09/2005

NEW HAVEN ? A two-hour animal rights demonstration on the Green Monday sparked outrage instead of sympathy from the public.

"This is the most racist thing I?ve ever seen on the Green. How dare you," roared Philip Goldson, 43, of New Haven at the protest organizers at Church and Chapel streets.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, a national animal rights group, posted giant photographs of people, mostly black Americans, being tortured, sold and killed, next to photographs of animals, including cattle and sheep, being tortured, sold and killed.

"I think it is an apt comparison," said Josh Warchol, 26, of Wallingford, president of the Southern Connecticut Vegetarian Society, which is aligned with PETA.

Advertisement

PETA officials said they had hoped to generate dialogue with the shocking photographs.

"We realize these images are hurtful. It?s hard for me to imagine the hurt the animals go through. We should be treating animals according to their own best interests, not to the best interests of people," said Dawn Carr, PETA?s director of special projects.

PETA wants people to stop eating animals, stop using them for clothing, stop forcing animals to entertain people (as in a circus) and stop animal experimentation.

Carr said she doesn?t want animals sold or treated as property either.

The controversial display, which is on a national tour, is intended to drive home PETA?s point.

However, critics said the organization?s demonstration backfired.

One man demanded that the NAACP get involved immediately. Five minutes later, Scot X. Esdaile, president of the state and Greater New Haven chapters of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, arrived at the scene, surveyed the photos and blasted the organizers.

"Once again, black people are being pimped. You used us. You have used us enough," Esdaile said. "Take it down immediately."

"I am a black man! I can?t compare the suffering of these black human beings to the suffering of this cow," said Michael Perkins, 47, of New Haven. He stood in front of a photo of butchered livestock hung next to the photo of two lynched black men dangling before a white mob.

"You can?t compare me to a freaking cow," shouted John Darryl Thompson, 46, of New Haven, inches from Carr?s face. "We don?t care about PETA. You are playing a dangerous game."

Paul Tomaselli, 46, of North Branford took exception to an exhibit that included a photo of a black man being beaten to the ground by a white man with a stick while a white mob gathers.

Next to that photo was one of a man chasing a seal across the snow with a club.

"I think he?s right," said Tomaselli, who is white, in support of Thompson. "To compare people to animals is an unfairness to people."

The display, "Are Animals the New Slaves?" is on a 10-week, 42-city tour that started in early July. Today?s stop: Scranton, Pa., then on to Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

"New Haven is important because of the Amistad. This is a place where slaves were brought. What happened here was very important for abolition. The next great liberation movement is animal liberation," Carr said.

However, the Anti-Defamation League, a national civil rights organization, has publicly condemned PETA?s use of photos comparing human suffering in the Holocaust to animal suffering today; PETA apologized in May for the hurt it caused but stood by the comparisons.

That point of disagreement became a flashpoint in New Haven.

"This is the most hostile audience we?ve had," said PETA volunteer Ben Godwin.

At one point, police hovered at the edge of the Green, across from the demonstration.

Eight of the 12 banners compared the suffering of black Americans to the suffering of cattle, sheep, an elephant, a seal and a rooster. Other banners showed Native Americans exiled from their homes, children in a factory and men in a counter-demonstration against women?s rights.

A photo showing a concentration camp inmate with a number tattooed across his emaciated chest was juxtaposed against a shot of a monkey in a laboratory with a number branded across its chest.

"I have relatives who were in concentration camps," said Alex Reznikoff, 47, of Newtown. "I think this detracts from PETA?s message. It doesn?t make me think about animals at all."
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I completely loathe PETA. I maintained a "if they don't mess with me I won't mess with them" attitude for years - until seeing an episode of Penn and Teller's "Bullsh!t" on Showtime that showed them for what they really are. What truly amazes me is the fact that they can continue to function, regardless of their links to domestic terrorism.

Im a member of PETA People Eating Tasty Animals

VIP Member
    I'm a charter member of PETA. The same chapter where Bud is a member. I had the T-Shirt until I wore it out. I guess I'll get another one some day.

-Scott-

MMMMMMM (Homer Simpson voice) Peeee Taa..... tasty animals..........in Peeeeeeee taaaa bread.

I opened the article. I started reading it and realized that my time is too valuable to waste it on extremists.

If you want to stage a counter protest I'll show-up....

Administrator

mswestfall

A lot of people feel exactly like you do. So MANY (in fact) that is why P.E.T.A. needs to do anything it can to call attention to itself.
    This is an attempt to make the organization seem relevant. Which it is not. They destroy their own message with their weird extremism. It's also quite crazy thinking to place animal life ABOVE human life. And that is part of their philosophy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I am not surprised that PETA would make such an stupid boondogle culture-wise. A couple of years ago, PETA was doing its anti-milk protest in front of an elementary school in Miami with their Throw Away Milk campaign. I am guessing they do not have Spanish speakers in their midst and got some cheap rate dictionary because the banners read "Echa la Leche" which in vernacular Spanish is to say ejaculation.
    Spanish speaking parents just lost it and raised merry hell to school authorities.
    You wanna know the even dumber thing? They are still using the slogan!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

DC Founder
    Don't you just love to see opposing liberal organizations at each other's throats, though; they always seem to be explosive. PETA (not the organization that Bud, Scott and I belong to) are especially bad about causing a stir. They are all so far out on the fringe that most people consider them to be almost insane. I am certainly one of those that believe they are.

We have had a couple of funny "protests" this week here in Phoenix.

One was "Clowns for Peace" (honest) protesting the war and President Bush at the gates to Luke AFB. It has been so hot here, they held it between the hours of 7-9am. I guess it gets really hot in those clown outfits. I doubt many people noticed.

The second was a group lactating mothers (I forget the actual name of the group) protesting the lack of freedoms in breastfeeding their kids in public. They planned on inundating a local mall here with women openly breastfeeding their kids. It turned out that only a handful of actual "new mothers" showed up. On the radio the organizer said that although they didn't have but a few mothers, that many of the dads showed up to "show their support"....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'm feeling like my usual self again... let's see here:

RE: Peta

Consider this little gem from their own website:

“How can you justify the millions of dollars of property damage caused by the Animal Liberation Front (ALF)?”

Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law to fight injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are examples of movements in which people broke the law in order to answer to a higher morality. The ALF, which is simply the name adopted by people who act illegally in behalf of animal rights, breaks inanimate objects such as stereotaxic devices and decapitators in order to save lives. ALF members burn empty buildings in which animals are tortured and killed. ALF “raids” have given us proof of horrific cruelty that would not have otherwise been discovered or believed and have resulted in criminal charges’ being filed against laboratories for violations of the Animal Welfare Act. Often, ALF raids have been followed by widespread scientific condemnation of the practices occurring in the targeted labs, and some abusive laboratories have been permanently shut down as a result.
    Source:

http://www.peta.org/about/faq.asp

Essentially, if you read the bold portions, they condone domestic terrorism.

RE: Protesting the war

Oh shut up. It's done. We're there. Deal with it. Figure out something constructive or positive to say. I personally think we bungled our strategy horribly and should have gotten Bin Laden first, but you know what it doesn't matter now. I look forward to a First World Western pro American nation rising out of that part of the world. Iraq is the next Japan.

RE: Breastfeeding in public

My aunt said it best. "I'm not really that crazy about doing it for my own children and I sure as heck don't want to see someone else do it."

It's called a towel. Look into it.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I kinda like PETA, only because they provide entertainment. Down here in VA (I live one town away from PETA's national headquarters), when the circus comes to town they paint naked chicks up like lions and put them in a cage outside the circus. They also built their office on the bank of a river, I wonder how many animals were disturbed in the making of that office? They also hand out unhappy meals at McDonalds sometimes.
    Last edited by Free American; August 10th, 2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Wow, after reading my last post I sound like I just learned to use the English language. I promise to never post before my first cup of coffee again!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874
    Wow, after reading my last post I sound like I just learned to use the English language. I promise to never post before my first cup of coffee again!
    LOL, well I didn't take that much notice, but at least you realized it. Most people don't these days. Just remember, though, those painted up naked chicks are whacky liberals....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Sponsored Links