Wolf attack

This is a discussion on Wolf attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting/hair-raising experience to maybe help bring over one of the sheeple to our side: I came in this morning to a crazy story about a ...

Thread: Wolf attack

Wolf attack

Interesting/hair-raising experience to maybe help bring over one of the sheeple to our side:

I came in this morning to a crazy story about a New Years Eve attack by an animal on a coworker (our CFO) in NoVA.

She's an older lady and somewhat set in her ways. Most of the folks here at work know I carry and just think of me as the resident, but sane, gun guy/resident MacGuyver.

Anyway, The story as she related to me highlighted the "fight or flight response" we all hear about and train for. She got out of her car to check her mail upon arriving home from the store. At the mailbox she was attacked by what she thought was a Coyote (based on memory of pictures she had seen on the news about Rock Creek Park). She managed to make it back inside the car and it continued to attempt to attack through the window before she could get the window up. Once the window was up, she didn't know what to do and sat there for a while(dog still jumping on car trying to attack through the windows, front windshield etc... until she realized she should probably just drive away. So eventually she headed out for her son's home nearby. The dog apparently followed the car for a couple of miles before it finally broke off the chase.

After thoughts: She said the first thing she thought of after the initial shock was of me (ie, that I carry and could dispatch said vermin on the spot). This realization shows promise in that she now recognizes the need to be able to fend for ones self, whether she wants to or not. She did say she eventually called animal control after she calmed down, but basically they told her they can't do anything. I'm guessing the animal in question was rabid due the the broad daylight attack on a human and the constant/non-breaking attack.

I showed her some pictures so she could see the size difference between the Coyote and wolves because it seemed to me based on the description of size that it wouldn't be a coyote (too small). I suspect it was a Timberwolf given the size description and based on the size of her SUV. She also immediately recognized it when I showed her two pictures, one of a timberwolf and one of a coyote. Both were unlabeled, but she picked the timberwolf one right away. The dog she was describing was MUCH too big to be a coyote. At least around here they usually run 40-60lbs MAX. The thing she described had to be at least 90 and she distinctly remembers the paws being huge, which is another trait quite opposite from a coyote.

So any of you NoVA folks (FFX Co area just a few minutes south of Tysons Corner) keep your eyes open and stay alert. It appears there may be a rabid wolf, or possibly EXTRA large coyote running around NoVA suburbia.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Glad she is ok. After a couple of weeks it might be a good idea to invite her to a range session.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

In that part of the country, I'm guessing a pissed off Malamute.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    They have coyotes up here. There is a pretty big park in the city that is famous for them.

I took my 6 year old son out coyote hunting yesterday afternoon. I saw something in the woods that caught my interest. There are a bunch of turkey out there and I heard a squirrel and the turkey getting all worked up and spooked about something moving through the tree row. I spotted a dog like critter with a bushy tail curved up and over it's back. We were using my enclosed deer stand with 6 windows around it and some comfortable swivel chairs. By the time I could get my Bushmaster Varminter around to get a better look the critter was gone. He didn't look like a coyote, more wolf like but I wouldn't think there could be one within several hundred miles of SW Oklahoma. The owners of the property have an Akita dog but she does not wander. Perhaps it's a Husky but it sure got my attention. I sure found out what a handful a 6 year old can be in a stand. We did get to see a bunch of turkey and 4 deer but I think I'll give him a little more time to calm down a bit before I take him out again.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

My sister lives next to Rock Creek park. I'll guarantee there are no wolves roaming that area! May have been a well-fed coyote (bunnies abound there), but I'm sticking with a bad-behaved or feral dog.

yikes!

Pretty bold animal to attack 'alone', someone getting mail from a car...this 'critter' is not good to have around children...I'd be inclined to form a 'hunting committee'.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Agree, wolves are not likely at all to attack humans. A wolf hybrid perhaps or a coyote hybrid. Those tend to get bigger than coyotes.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

There's no doubt that it could have been a coyote. I suspect whatever it was was probably rabid just based on the ferocity and non-relenting attack in daylight on a human (even after retreat by car). As for the No way a wolf comments...We do have them out here along the blue ridge(albeit few and far between) and I'm only an hour and a half or so west of her so.... I still say it's possible(if it were rabid) for it to be roaming the suburbs on the attack. I've seen at least one up here near me and no it wasn't a coyote or a GSD or Malamute. I've seen them all personally and grown up around them.

Without seeing it myself I can't tell for sure. All I could do was give her two different pictures sans labels and she immediately tagged the one that was the wolf. The features ARE quite different to someone that has seen them both. I'll not disagree though that it could have been some odd hybrid like maybe a coyote with a gsd or something.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

But the PETA crowd has always said that there has never been an attack on a person by a wolf...

She had a weapon at hand.
    4K+ lbs and 200+ HP power steering controlled SUV AUTOMOBILE (!).

My first thought would have been OMG I've been scratched or bitten by an aggressive or rabid dog which is most probable and likely considering the Tysons area of Fairfax county is densely populated with sprawl and there are no mountains and such for wolves to make dens and survive in.

My second thought would be RUN IT OVER (!).
    Run it over to stop it fro getting me _and_ to prevent it from getting away to injure another person.
    Also it's head needs to be collected to verify infection of rabies or not and to prevent me from having to suffer a course of physically uncomfortable rabies anti-virus shots.

Everything is a weapon and some weapons are branded as 'Toyota'.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; January 3rd, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links