armed guard liabilities?

armed guard liabilities?

This is a discussion on armed guard liabilities? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm looking into armed security as a career change. Now that I have the divine card, what are the pro's/con's of being armed security/courier type ...

Thread: armed guard liabilities?

armed guard liabilities?

I'm looking into armed security as a career change. Now that I have the divine card, what are the pro's/con's of being armed security/courier type stuff? Is a job like that a real liability to my CHL?

I'm a locomotive engineer now, looking for plan B, perhaps to
    become plan A.

Thanks!

H@H

Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post
    I'm looking into armed security as a career change. Now that I have the divine card, what are the pro's/con's of being armed security/courier type stuff? Is a job like that a real liability to my CHL?

become plan A.

Thanks!

H@H
    Given your current job, Security would be a major down grade. Unless you go high end.

Even then you're not a cop. Just an armed bistander.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

You're responsible for every piece of lead that exits your weapon, whether you're a licensed security guard, LEO, or private citizen. In this area, security guards are paid terribly (unless you have great credentials and get into personal protection for the wealthy celebrities). As a retired LEO, I do a fair number of personal jobs through a producer friend. But you'll never find those jobs fresh out in the world. I've got a friend back in the midwest who's been with the railroad for many years, and he makes more than I ever did as a certified peace officer!

Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post

become plan A.

Thanks!

H@H
    I see you are in Connecticut.

Which "divine card" do you speak of?

A carry permit? Armed security card? Bail Enforcement card?

Check with the Bridgeport Shooting Range and look into their self defense and the law class. They run one every month.

As to your responsibilities & liabilities, you would be in a highly regulated profession that basically makes you a delivery guy with a gun who works for a company that has insurance, basic training and qualification, and supervision under a former LEO or someone in the security field until you have the sufficient time and experience as per state law to strike out on your own.

Your rules for the use of force are the same as everyone else's. You just happen to have more opportunity to use that force because you might get killed for a coal bag full of dimes.

Stay in school.

Become an engineer.

If you REALLY want to get into an armed profession other than law enforcement, look into becoming a Bail Enforcement Agent (bounty hunter) See the application form:

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/specia...s/dps-10-c.pdf

And State Police page regarding such profession:
    http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294480&dpsNav=|#qualifications

Is it a liability to your ability to carry a gun?

Hell yes.

Every use of force is investigated by the local PD or the State Police, and either can have your permits yanked. They aren't shy about doing it to bondsmen either. Not to mention your CHL is insufficient to act as any one of the armed professions in the state, with the need to obtain separate licenses for those professions.

Administrator
    I think the largest liability you will face is the change in your paycheck. Unless you get in with a good employer, your not going to make much more than a burger flipper. Plus, carrying a gun for work looses its novelty after a while.

Id stick with the trains, and keep the guns for a hobby.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think the largest liability you will face is the change in your paycheck. Unless you get in with a good employer, your not going to make much more than a burger flipper. Plus, carrying a gun for work looses its novelty after a while.

Id stick with the trains, and keep the guns for a hobby.
    Hear, Hear! Sound advice.

Ten years into my career and two years into Protective Services I can say, it takes a LONG time to get where you want to go, and most don't make it. If you're willing to take your lumps, keep a good attitude and work hard, by all means make your move. Good luck to you!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Thanks for the info. The RR is nice, but schedules typically stink (days away from home). Been doing this for several years, checked out a lot of companies, and talked to lotsa folks. There are benefits, but this is not something I will do for 30 years. I have leaned that there is so very much more in my life than chasing the dollar.

Yes I meant the State permit to carry.

THanks for the wisdom, I'll check back again later!

H@H

Sponsored Links