Should my Grandson be an NRA member?

This is a discussion on Should my Grandson be an NRA member? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I love my daughter dearly, despite the fact that she leans towards the liberal side and will probably vote for Billary. That said, I got ...

Thread: Should my Grandson be an NRA member?

I love my daughter dearly, despite the fact that she leans towards the liberal side and will probably vote for Billary.
    That said, I got this offer from the NRA to sign up a family member for only $20.
    I can imagine the scenario; she gets the mail and in it is a membership card for her 18 month old son. Then the magazines start coming (along with the junk mail).
    Do it or not??
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

VIP Member
    I say GO!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sounds hilarious. You should do it!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'd wait until he is old enough to understand. Take him out shooting and teach him the ways. Then maybe a Lifetime Membership for his 16th birthday. If you're worried about making it that long, put it in your will.
    Fellow Patriot Guard Rider in AZ

I meant to do a poll here but messed up.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    I can imagine the scenario; she gets the mail and in it is a membership card for her 18 month old son. Then the magazines start coming
    Make sure it's the 1st freedom magazine, and just maybe she opens it up and reads some of it. Might just change some of the thinking going on in her head. Just a thought.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Too bad on the poll thing. I'd wait until you've taught your grandson a few things one on one. Pellet guns is the best way to start, then the 22lr. By the time he's 6-7 years old, you'll know whether he will follow your lead. The notion you have is good, and frankly humorous in that respect. At this point in time, I think you'd just be wasting your money, and the magazine subscriptions will likely see their way into the circular file (or get 86'd) the minute they arrive. Tell you what you could do though----it's been a few years, but do you remember the investment deals that certain banks used to offer? Say--deposit $1500 and leave it in the account for several years and get a brand new Weatherby 300 mag? Anyone remember those? That would be the way to go! Have duplicate statements sent to you and your grandson. IMO--that would be a real nice way to celebrate a sixth or seventh birthday, and an incentive for you to plant the seed in the upcoming years and prepare him for what's to come. If we in this nation could be so lucky that far into the future.

Administrator
    I'd do it, but I like Ram Rods idea too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As I recall, the NRA will take the membership, and not start shipping the mags until you specify. Again, I'd make it a lifetime membership, because even if his Mom doesn't go nuts, a kid won't keep up his dues when he has to choose between dating and the NRA. BUT...he will certainly appreciate it later in life!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    I love my daughter dearly, despite the fact that she leans towards the liberal side and will probably vote for Billary.
    That said, I got this offer from the NRA to sign up a family member for only $20.
    I can imagine the scenario; she gets the mail and in it is a membership card for her 18 month old son. Then the magazines start coming (along with the junk mail).
    Do it or not??
    A lot depends on the relationship with your daughter. What if she gets upset and begins to reduce or deny you to see your grandson.

I think you should respect your daughter's wishes. She is THE parent and the one to choose what values to instill.

In these types of scenarios I like to place myself in a similar position. How would you handle a lifetime membership to the ACLU from your daughter or a tax deductible donation to the Brady Campaign in your name.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Good point, but scary!

I would get him the NRA membership...in his name, but your address! He'll grow into it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links