Well I swear I need to

This is a discussion on Well I swear I need to within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep my camera gave up on me, It's about 5 years old, a Canon Power Shot A60 only 2 mega pixels. The auto focus quit ...

Thread: Well I swear I need to

Well I swear I need to

Yep my camera gave up on me, It's about 5 years old, a Canon Power Shot A60 only 2 mega pixels. The auto focus quit working so while at the Super Mall here in Cebu I spotted another Canon Power Shot mdl SX100IS, it is 8 mega pixels 2.5" LCD screen, 10X zoom and optical image stabilizer for $400. I was wondering if this is a good camera and if $400 is a good price. I need to take more pictures of the Philippines before I come back home to the US. As you have already assumed, I am not a camera buff that's why I'm asking.
    Thanks and Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Canon cameras take high quality pictures. So being 8MP with a 10x zoom and image stabilizer, it's a good camera. The only question is, the recycle time. That is, how long it takes the camera to process the picture you just took and allow you to take the next picture. This is important because with a slower camera, when you take a picture, it actually captures the image a second (give or take) AFTER you press the button. This makes capturing the "right" moment very difficult.

+1 to morintp's statement. recycle time is very important

Assistant Administrator
    Canon is good make - and yes file save time crucial too.

However IMO the Mpx figure of 8 is way over what most folks need ...... seems to be a big selling point these days as if a magic number. All this does is make a full size pic huge ...... big enough to get a poster printed out several feet long!

If you maybe only need pics for web and printing up to 8x10 then even a 4 or 5Mpx is way plenty still - you'll be resizing to smaller most of time. I do think that for $400 there are other options that could get you a good camera adequate for the job.

Apart from file save time ........ I'd look for these things ........

Optical zoom (forget ''digital" zoom)... even 7:1 is probably enough.
    As much option as possible for manual override of settings even if you point-and-shoot most times.
    Note power supply ..... dedicated (spendy!) Li battery is less flexible than having a camera that might take AA rechargeables ... means you can carry more spares ready to use and cheaper.
    Note media type .. is it easy to remove and so put in card reader? SD and CF are good because cheap to buy now for large capacity.
    IMO don't go for too small ....... I know they get smaller all time but some are just silly small.

Bottom line - there are some very adequate units around for even $200 ....... do some web searches on cameras and types and see the spec's on them. It's hard to choose with so many choices tho.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I'm in the market for a new digital and have settled on another Cannon as my PowerShot is about dead. My requirements aren't mega pixels so much as small and concealable with a decent, but not great zoom factor.

This is the one I'm probably going to get.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I too agree- for the casual photographer, nothing beats the small cannons. Everyone who I know who has owned one has loved it. Cannon A560 is cheap ($140) and great. A little fancier: Cannon SD950IS ($275) There are plenty of other models, find one that suits your likes and budget.

For serious photography, get a digital SLR. Nikon and Cannon are the more respected. I have a Nikon D50 with a few lenses that is fabulous. The digital SLR's take photos instantly when you press the shutter and have a clarity you cannot get with a smaller camera. Unfortunately, they are expensive and don't fit in your pocket.

a great photography site:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Things I look for are: rechargeable battery, optical zoom (digital zoom looks grainy), a couple of megapxels is enough (at 12 megapixles, the photos are way to big to email...). Image stabilization is nice if you don;t want blurry photos inside.

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Canon is good make - and yes file save time crucial too.

(sic)

Bottom line - there are some very adequate units around for even $200 ....... do some web searches on cameras and types and see the spec's on them. It's hard to choose with so many choices tho.
    +1

I shoot a Pentax K100d SLR, and a K1000 (film) before that. I'm still an amateur as I devote the majority of my time to other things but I can tell you, 8 mega pixels is a HUGE picture. Way over 20" x 20" if it's honestly rated. My digital SLR is 6 mega pixels and I have printed a couple 24 x 30 posters.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    I have a little 7.2 megapixel Canon & I'm happy with it.
    7.2 is actually more than I need as far as high quality prints/enlargments are concerned.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Canon cameras take high quality pictures. So being 8MP with a 10x zoom and image stabilizer, it's a good camera.
    The only question is, the recycle time. That is, how long it takes the camera to process the picture you just took and allow you to take the next picture. This is important because with a slower camera, when you take a picture, it actually captures the image a second (give or take) AFTER you press the button. This makes capturing the "right" moment very difficult.
    Rhome,

First...Canon does make great digital cameras, although some are better than others. But let me help with a couple corrections.

Recycle time is the time it takes for the 'flash' to recharge so you can take another shot. Flash recycling time on this camera is a little slow.

How long it takes for the camera to process the picture is known as the 'File Write Time'. Some cameras will 'write' the image to the storage card faster than others but to take advantage of the cameras capabilities you need to make sure you are using a "Fast Storage Memory Card" such as a SanDisc Extreme III Card.
    If write times are high up on your list of priorities it makes sense to invest in some fast memory cards in order to take advantage of the cameras performance.
    This is important only if you think you will be taking pictures in very rapid succession such as in the 'continuous shooting mode'. The SX100IS is capable of 1.3 frames (shots) per second in this mode.

How long it takes for the camera to actually take the picture after you 'press' the button is known as the "shutter lag". This time can be decreased in most cameras by pressing the button down 'half way' to focus and then follow through when you want to take the shot (without letting the button up). This is important for action shots such as sports or so that you don't 'miss that smile'.

Overall it looks like the camera is pretty good but $400.00 is steep. The camera lists retail for $300. in the states.
    Below is a link to what I think is probably the best digital camera review site. It'll take you to the review on the SX100IS. The reviews are very extensive. Hope it helps.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx100is/

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Links