Dakar Rally cancelled (2008)

This is a discussion on Dakar Rally cancelled (2008) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported via AutoBlog.com: Dakar Rally cancelled Posted Jan 4th 2008 9:32AM by Jonathon Ramsey Filed under: Motorsports, Euro Since 1979, the Dakar Rally has ...

Thread: Dakar Rally cancelled (2008)

As reported via AutoBlog.com:

Dakar Rally cancelled

Posted Jan 4th 2008 9:32AM by Jonathon Ramsey
    Filed under: Motorsports, Euro

Since 1979, the Dakar Rally has never been canceled. Individual stages have been eliminated, but never the entire rally. This year is marks the end of the run: Dakar organizer ASO have decided to cancel the race in light of terrorist threats from Mauritania. The rally was to run from Lisbon, Portugal to Dakar, Senegal from January 5-20.

Mauritania was formerly a French colony, and the ASO (Amaury Sport Organization, the same folks who put on the Tour de France) is a French organization. It appears that anything French is a target for the time being: on December 28, 2007, four French tourists were murdered in Mauritania by "a branch of Al Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb," and threats have also been made directly against the race.

Eight of the race's fifteen stages were to take place in Mauritania. After being advised not to hold the race by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the ASO felt it had no choice but to cancel this year's edition. It's regrettable, and a sad day for motorsport, but it had to be done. Follow the jump to read the full press release.

Thanks for the tip, Young!

[Source: BBC]

PRESS RELEASE

After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - , and based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal's capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 28th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.'s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world's biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.

The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.
    The article and attached press release can be found at; http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/04/d...lly-cancelled/

- Janq is very mad about this...I've been following PDR since the late '70s and this is my Superbowl
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq is very mad about this...I've been following PDR since the late '70s and this is my Superbowl
    What!? Me too, being a avid dirtbiker/dualsporter I love watching the Dakar, NASCAR has (had ) nothing on the Dakar.
    Now I'm going to be more po'd at the world today...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I was looking forward to the new Paris-Dakar rally classes:

AV1.1 - Wheeled armored vehicles with main armament < 20mm in caliber
    AV1.2 - Wheeled armored vehicles with main armament > 20mm
    AV 2.1 - Tracked armored vehicles with main armament < 100mm in caliber
    AV2.2 - Tracked armored vehicles with main armament > 100mm

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I was looking forward to the new Paris-Dakar rally classes:

AV1.1 - Wheeled armored vehicles with main armament < 20mm in caliber
    AV1.2 - Wheeled armored vehicles with main armament > 20mm
    AV 2.1 - Tracked armored vehicles with main armament < 100mm in caliber
    AV2.2 - Tracked armored vehicles with main armament > 100mm

Matt
    I honestly dont think they would have made it that far.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I still just cannot believe it!!!!!

This is akin to canceling the World Cup or Wimbledon.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Well, there you have it. In France, the terrorists have won.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, there you have it. In France, the terrorists have won.
    Too true.

Unfortunately that means the rest of us have also lost.

I can't believe I won't be able to follow the rally this year...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    I wonder what will be next to banned or canceled?

For all his faults, he's right on this:
    Sixty years of Western nations excusing and accommodating the lack of freedom in the Middle East did nothing to make us safe -- because in the long run, stability cannot be purchased at the expense of liberty. As long as the Middle East remains a place where freedom does not flourish, it will remain a place of stagnation, resentment, and violence ready for export. And with the spread of weapons that can bring catastrophic harm to our country and to our friends, it would be reckless to accept the status quo... The advance of freedom is the calling of our time; it is the calling of our country. From the Fourteen Points to the Four Freedoms, to the Speech at Westminster, America has put our power at the service of principle. We believe that liberty is the design of nature; we believe that liberty is the direction of history. We believe that human fulfillment and excellence come in the responsible exercise of liberty. And we believe that freedom -- the freedom we prize -- is not for us alone, it is the right and the capacity of all mankind. -- George W. Bush
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I don't understand what the issue is. They're all going to be racing! It's not like the terrorists are going to catch them. The organizers should just have anyone that still wants to compete sign a waiver acknowledging the risks and then they get it on!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I don't understand what the issue is. They're all going to be racing! It's not like the terrorists are going to catch them. The organizers should just have anyone that still wants to compete sign a waiver acknowledging the risks and then they get it on!
    I agree. The occasional IED/Landmine would add something new to the race.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    I'd take one of my up-armored HMMWVs on it. I'd be dead last, but I bet I wouldn't be dead...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I heard about that too. I looked over to the wife and said..."Make them sign waivers, arm and armor the vehicles and let them race. What's the big deal?"
    LOL

one queston, how do the points break down if you take out a terrorist while racing?

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

Sponsored Links