BBQ Ideas

This is a discussion on BBQ Ideas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I might live in the upper left corner of the country but I LOVE to fire up the BBQ all year long. I own a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Ideas

BBQ Ideas

I might live in the upper left corner of the country but I LOVE to fire up the BBQ all year long. I own a Big Green Egg and love to cook on it.

I'm looking for new rub recipes or products.

I have a nice pork shoulder which I want to slow cook for about 4 hrs at 280-300 degrees.

How do you prepare a delicious, mouth watering, moan & groan piece of meat like this?
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

2. Remove Ads

Everything you need to know and more is here:
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Just give it a good spice rub and cook it lol . Myself i am partial to dry rubs and do have my own mix of spices ( used to do it commercially ) . However there are many " rubs " on the market and a bit of google work will give you and entirely acceptable rub by " averaging " the ingredients and proportions. If that sounds like a lot of work for a first try , you would be amazed just how tasty Old Bays seasoning ( the seasoning in the square tin box , not the crab boil ect.. ) is for smoking pork or chicken . Personally i would do a longer smoke time and lower temp . but you did not mention the poundage of your meat , On pork go for well done ( 165+ core temp as it will continue to cook a bit after you pull it and the hotter outside meat heats the core ) . If your familiar with your smoker put the meat in and leave it alone , dont check it till it should be done . If your not familiar enough with your rig then check it once in a while to be sure your arnt charring the meat , nor too cold to cook . I dont know " the egg " but have read good reviews on them . My smoker is a smaller commercial style and works well with between 100 and 200 lbs of meat . When smoking you want to create " convection currents " inside the smoker to evenly distribute both the smoke and the heated air flowing out . if your meat does not cover a lot of the grill a brick or two placed on it to break up the straight flow of air/smoke goes a long way towards a successful smoke ( and are a great heatsink to give even temps to boot lol ) . Higher temps give shorter cook times , but also result in dryer meat . When i smoke 220 is max temp , and honestly i try and run the smoker at an air temp of 190 or so . Hope that helped , and feel free to pm if needed , tho i will respond here if i catch the need to .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Redneck Repairs
    Thanks. The Big Green Egg is very versatile. I can get it over 700 degrees if I want to sear a steak or shut it down for long, slow cooking.

It's just a 7lb Pork Shoulder that I plan to cook. I definitely will cook it lower & longer. Just looking for dry rub ideas.
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

Here's the rub I've been using:
    1/4 cup coarse salt (Kosher or sea salt)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup sweet paprika
    2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
    Mix it all up, store in an airtight jar away from heat & light. It will keep at least 6 months.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I have a couple marinades I have concocted through trial-by-error over the years. For pork, try this one of you like things a tad spicy.

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup teriyaki
    1/4 cup granulated garlic
    1 Tbsp black pepper
    a couple shakes of cajun seasonong
    a couple shakes of curry powder

Mix in a large ziplock freezer bag, add pork, purge air.
    Let sit in fridge foe a few hours, no more. Pork absorbs this like a sponge and can easily get over seasoned.

If you attempt to tase this marinade by itself you will be greatly displeased, but it's awesome after soaking into the piggie flesh.

I also have a great beef marinade, butbecause of it's popularity amongst friends and family, I keep the recipie secret. Gotta keep my value at BBQ's up, y'know?

G&G,

Be careful in your rub selection. At the temp range you mention a rub with sugar in it could easily turn to a bitter crust as the sugar will burn. If you are able to really control the temp with precision then something below 250 and extend the cooking time, say 7-8 hours for a 7 lb pork butt. If you cannot controll the temp with great precision then I would recommend a rub with NO sugar. In any case be certain that you use no salt containing iodine, Kosher salt works great.

My dry rub involves SALT lots of it , salt carrys the flavors into the meat . Cyanne pepper ( red pepper for the heatons ) garlic , onion pwoder or salt now decrease original salt if you use ether garlic salt or onion salt ect.. ) cellery ( i mince and dry it but cellery seeds or cellry salt will do it ) black pepper cracked ( not table pepper looses a lot of flavor when you break the skin ... thusly waitresses at outback dont come around with a shaker , but they do a grinder ). Dry mustard ( caution its hot , no really its hot ) and finaly cumin , just a nod to my sw heritage on bbq . if you happen to live in say the caralinas a lot of folk will have something different . its fine , on my bbq i do an a " APOSTATE " that no one likes what i do but heck all love to eat it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

oO( after re reading some of the posts ( and i take them as off topic ) put the meat in a marina id of a can of mushrooms and a can of whiskey. then drain well ( after 12hrs or more ) . It makes things tinder without work , and intresteing on flavor also lol .

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    This is from Alton Brown, which I have used successfully (with minor changes.) Most important in his recipe is the 81:1 ratio of ingredients. The last '1' can be individualized based on taste and availability.

Caution: As others have mentioned, this rub requires a lower temperature (<225) because of the large amount of sugar.

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    ---------------------------------------------

What is more important, in my opinion, is the wood used for smoking. I typically smoke pork butts with an equal amount of oak and hickory.

Happy Barbecuing!!!!!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Excuse the icon in my last post. I don't know what it means. The text should have read 8 to 3 to 1 to 1.

foolproof

Pork shoulder is my foolproof Q. Four to eight pounds I cook a minimum of 6 hours, 15 is ok. When it pulls back from the bone, it's tender. Never been able to make the same rub twice, I like cumin, salt, red pepper, and garlic as a base. Paprika is a good stretcher. Less heat, more time is the key. We take the juices from the sliced meat, and add it to a broth made from Pork Raman Noodle season packets, a big whack of horseradish, and corn starch to thicken. Pour the whole mess over taters and carrots. The next day, make the leftover meat into enchiladas.

VIP Member
    The ZOO TIGER thread and this BBQ thread are right next to each other this morning. Prophetic somehow
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I post on several BBQ forums and email lists and am famous for my Dalmatian Rub. Whenever a newbie asks for a great rub someone always suggests this as a great starter.

Coarsely ground Kosher Salt & Black Pepper to taste.

I'm a minimalist and generally the only additions are garlic/onion powder, cayenne pepper, and occasionally a little raw sugar for ribs/pork.
    Last edited by Pitmaster; January 6th, 2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Sentence structure
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I post on several BBQ forums and email lists and am famous for my Dalmatian Rub. Whenever a newbie asks for a great rub someone always suggests this as a great starter.

Coarsely ground Kosher Salt & Black Pepper to taste.

I'm a minimalist and generally the only additions are garlic/onion powder, cayenne pepper, and occasionally a little raw sugar for ribs/pork.
    Dalmatian? I have two at home and rub them, same thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links