tragic murder / suicide at work on Tuesday

This is a discussion on tragic murder / suicide at work on Tuesday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi Everybody, I work for a non-profit corporation that manages & owns 8 long term care facilities in OH & IN and over 50 independent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tragic murder / suicide at work on Tuesday

Angry tragic murder / suicide at work on Tuesday

Hi Everybody,

I work for a non-profit corporation that manages & owns 8 long term care facilities in OH & IN and over 50 independent housing apartments in over a dozen states.

I don't have any links (sorry! ), but we had a tragic incident on Tuesday where a resident's husband walked into our facility in Jackson, OH and shot his Alzheimer's-stricken wife of over 50 years then turned the handgun on himself. She died at the scene and he died on the way to the hospital. Both were in their mid-70's.

I work several hours away from the facility, so I wasn't personally involved in the incident, but I guess I just wanted to request prayers for the familes involved.......
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Eric - this is most certainly tragic and in particular thoughts go to the families of these folks.

I have to say tho - I find some understanding in what occurred.

First - there is the husband who probably felt he had ''lost'' his precious wife and lifetime partner already - when Alzheimers is far enough advanced the ''person'' almost ceases to be any more. I saw this to a degree in my dear father - he was no longer the Dad I knew in his last years.

Second, and because of the first, the dear man felt he had nothing left to live for - his wife being and having been the center of his universe. He maybe felt he was making a merciful end for his wife and with that accomplished, he had nothing else left - other than to probably as he saw it - go and join her where things are better.

I may be wrong, but this is how I'd read such an event ... but very traumatic for all concerned and involved around such a thing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I saw that on the news... a sad story indeed. We had a similar incident at a apartment complex that caters to older people a few years ago.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Eric - this is most certainly tragic and in particular thoughts go to the families of these folks.

I have to say tho - I find some understanding in what occurred.

First - there is the husband who probably felt he had ''lost'' his precious wife and lifetime partner already - when Alzheimers is far enough advanced the ''person'' almost ceases to be any more. I saw this to a degree in my dear father - he was no longer the Dad I knew in his last years.

Second, and because of the first, the dear man felt he had nothing left to live for - his wife being and having been the center of his universe. He maybe felt he was making a merciful end for his wife and with that accomplished, he had nothing else left - other than to probably as he saw it - go and join her where things are better.

I may be wrong, but this is how I'd read such an event ... but very traumatic for all concerned and involved around such a thing.
    Exactly how I would read this...

My mom, my dad and grandfather all lost it in the end...did not know their loved ones...I guess it's in the genes...

Not a pleasant end for those left behind...I must admit, all three seemed alert and happy in their own little worlds...tough one!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hard to know the motivations, based on initial reports, but it's tough on folks facing a long, slow, painful demise to have it forcibly lengthened by the "health care" system. The mantra seems to be: life, at all costs ... instead of health and well-being until not possible any longer.

If that be the case, with this couple, then I can see where he was coming from. At 70+ yrs old and having been married 50, it's hard to see how the state and the system can put demands on how one should grieve and take their lumps, as it affects everyone differently. It may well be they "got out" in as dignified a fashion as they could arrange. Who's to say.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    The gentleman may have also been thinking about children/grandchildren/whatever, and having an estate worth passing on, instead of having it all eaten up by healthcare costs.

Sad story, but certainly understandable.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    My mom (78 yo) just recently died. She was sort of the caregiver of my dad who is 85. He has beginning to mid stages Alzheimer's. I am now in charge of his care. It is not a pretty sight. Here is a man who has been in control of his life all his life, responsible for those around him and is now completely losing it. He truly does not understand and add to that the death of his wife of 50+ years and, and, and...

I understand what these people are going through and my prayers are with the family.

VIP Member
    All we can do is pray that we are never faced with the same choices......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

A tragedy indeed. Also a tragedy that the poor old lady had to exist after all her quality of life was gone. Part of me sees this affair as an act of mercy.

Sad that this was the only way for it to be done. Sad that politically correct is more important than allowing someone to end their own suffering. Dr. Jack should have a had a hospital named after him, not been jailed.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    My father died of lung cancer in 93. At the end, he was strapped down to a hospital bed with a tube down his throat and an IV in his arm.

My mother is in a nursing home, at least 6 years into Alzheimer's. She doesn't recognize anyone, and is no longer able to communicate. Everything that SHE was is gone. Only her "living" body remains. Her body is being carefully cared for, diabetes and all......at the cost of $4500 per month. I still go to visit her a couple of times a week, even though it does neither of us any good.

Everything that my parents worked for all their lives has gone into that black hole.

There was a time when I thought Dr. Kevorkian to be the personification of evil. I'm not so sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    My father died of lung cancer in 93. At the end, he was strapped down to a hospital bed with a tube down his throat and an IV in his arm.

My mother is in a nursing home, at least 6 years into Alzheimer's. She doesn't recognize anyone, and is no longer able to communicate. Everything that SHE was is gone. Only her "living" body remains. Her body is being carefully cared for, diabetes and all......at the cost of $4500 per month. I still go to visit her a couple of times a week, even though it does neither of us any good.

Everything that my parents worked for all their lives has gone into that black hole.

There was a time when I thought Dr. Kevorkian to be the personification of evil. I'm not so sure anymore.

Sorry to hear it, Mac. My dad is likely within 9 months of the end of his cancer fight. I've had way too many patients beg me to help them die to think that being here against your will is a good thing. I've seen way too much suffering to think that death is always a bad thing.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Since the day I first heard of Kevorkian's stance and understood the full scope of what he saw, I thought his villification and imprisonment by the state the be the personification of evil. I still believe that. The tragic stories of life-at-all-costs being discussed in this thread are witness to the lunacy of failing to revere health and well-being over mere respiration. Much to the loss of everyone.

Mac, you have my sympathies for what you are going through with your parents. Both sides of my family tend to drop to the ground, when it's time, so I have been spared (so far) the artificially prolonged insinuation of the "health" system into our lives. May it always remain so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Sad story. Having witnessed my Grandfather waste away slowly, I hope when I get too old I will pass quickly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Truely a tragic story. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that old gent was in.

I can only hope that the family doesn't have to suffer the insults that insurance companies are so famous for.

I lost my father a little over four years ago to lung and brain cancer. The wife and I had visited them the weekend before he went into the hospital. He was as lively and active. Two days later he rapidly worsened to the point that he became non-responsive.

To watch a person that means so much to you waste away before your eyes does something to a person. I know that I am a different person now than I was then. I have seen plenty of death and dismemberment in my life, and none of it mattered. This was painful to watch.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links