Nanny Cam Ideas.

This is a discussion on Nanny Cam Ideas. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife is going back to work soon and we have an in home sitter that is starting Monday. The sitter seems nice enough but ...

Thread: Nanny Cam Ideas.

Question Nanny Cam Ideas.

My wife is going back to work soon and we have an in home sitter that is starting Monday. The sitter seems nice enough but I don't trust anyone until they prove they can be trusted and I'm leaving my first born with this lady.
    I need help finding an affordable nanny cam. I'm hoping for around 500.00 for the whole setup. I was going to do a computer based one but I own a mac and I'm having trouble finding a system that will work with the OS operating system.
    Do any of you own or have knowledge of a wireless security system that will record audio and video? I only need one or two cameras but the wife is on board with the Idea so I might as well make the most of it.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    If you want to go the computer route (likely the cheapest and easy to manage)

Take a look at Evocam software for your mac. Give it the free trial then it's only $25 to buy. You can set it to be motion activated to record and its pretty easy to use and keep everything organized by time and date. I used it with my isight camera. Also, the built in cameras in new macs work, ethernet cameras, or your digital video (DV) camcorder will work over firewire. Read the FAQ.

http://www.evological.com/evocam.html

You can even set it up to automatically email you photos while you are away. It might give your wife a little peace of mind...

I might recommend against a wireless Ethernet camera. They seem to be a pain to setup and coverage is spotty. Just drill a hole or two in the wall and run an Ethernet camera somewhere out of the way...Ethernet cameras are cheap and cables are long and cheap.

:)
    Last edited by nutz4utwo; January 6th, 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added auto email

I have a swann system I got at Fry's here in california. I bought the software online at active web cam and use it with my internet and computer. I watch my property and my dogs anytime I want on my blackberry. It was cheap and works great. Motion detector and the works. Anytime there is movement on my property I get 3 pictures sent to me via email and then I can go to the web site and look at live video. I think I did the whole thing with 5 cameras for about 400.00 The most expensive thing was the video card for the computer and the cameras. Good luck
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to use the evocam for the short term and get a larger system later.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to use the evocam for the short term and get a larger system later.
    Glad to be of service. I was particularly proud of this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    It might give your wife a little peace of mind...
    by the way, congratulations!

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Try www.scdlink.com, they have a section on nanny cams

Good luck
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links