Gun Safes

Gun Safes

This is a discussion on Gun Safes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a question about Where to find good quality gun safes. I am not looking for a lock box that is small and feels ...

Thread: Gun Safes

Gun Safes

I have a question about Where to find good quality gun safes. I am not looking for a lock box that is small and feels like a piece of aluminum but I am not looking for a huge rifel safe. I have only hand guns (for now). I will upgrade when needed. I live do not own my own home yet and that is part of my reasoning for not getting the huge full size safe, that and I don't have the money for it just yet. But I am looking to purchase a hand gun safe. Any advice or direction is appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Do you want a fire rated safe, or just something to keep them secure? How much do you want to spend? Does it have to be a purpose built gun safe?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Do you want a fire rated safe, or just something to keep them secure? How much do you want to spend? Does it have to be a purpose built gun safe?
    It doesn't have to be a fire rated safe but I am open to all options. I'm trying to spend less than 1k for it.

Administrator
    If your budget is 1k, I'm going to suggest getting a fullsize safe. You will be suprised how quick it fills up with guns and other things.
    You mentioned that your not in your own house yet, so size must be an issue, moving the safe or otherwise. So, maybe a fullsize wouldnt be the way to go...

Do a search for Heritage Safe, I know they build nice pistol safes in a couple of different sizes well within your budget.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You can go the route of the $100-250 handgun "safe" products that are advertised, but these tend to be fairly lightweight units. While they can be mounted to bed frames and walls, they can also be fairly easily opened or ripped off the mounting point. I'm of the opinion that if it's merely a metal box but can be easily taken, it's not a SAFE and not worth one's time or money. But that's just me.

If considering a secure option, I'd recommend going with a well-respected and solid brand, for starters. I'm partial to Graffunder, AMSEC (American Security) and Fort Knox, depending on the model. Lots of folks go with Liberty or similar units. Though, even with quality built safes, all you're buying is time. Couple it with a good home alarm/security system to ensure that the time is sliced to a minimum.

Now and then, you can find one of the puny models available used. In the AMSEC line, even the small units have a range of toughness. The size:weight proportion should give some clue as to the amount of steel and toughness of the unit. For example, one of the smaller AMSEC safes ranges from ~200 to ~600 lbs. Difference is in the build, in the materials used.

Right now, there are a number of AMSEC safes on Craigslist, for example.

To find, search in Google for: +site:craigslist.org +amsec

Or, you can play with the search terms, focusing on Los Angeles: +site:losangeles.craigslist.org +"gun safe"

Here's one in the Portland area: AMSEC for $225.

Or, another one from a guy moving to the SF Bay area: AMSEC for $550.

Or, an older Cannon 11682 model, out in Victorville, for $500: click.

If you watch for a month or two, you'll find a number of similar deals. A used safe can be a great value, assuming everything works, you can haul it, the lock is the type you want (ie manual dial vs electronic keypad).

The past few months, I've been watching Craigslist and have found a half dozen of the AMSEC BF18xx or BF15xx units go by, in the $220-550 range. A couple have been the 450 lb units, which are small enough for stuffing into a closet, yet stout enough (if well-mounted to the foundation or walls) to withstand a fair attack on it.

Another option might be to look in your better sporting goods stores. Up here in Portland, Joe's Sporting Goods has one of the lesser AMSEC units for $600 or so. Still, it's a grade above most other $600 safes.

Ditto on planning to either replace it when you acquire more firearms, or to buy it large enough now for several years. For myself, I purchased a decent safe in the ~60x30x30" range, anticipating about 10 long guns and 6 handguns max. It's half full and should last a good long while. But I spent half a year searching for a used one. Got it at less than a third of the new market price, used. Mounted to the foundation of the house and stuffed into a corner, it's about as unassailable as I can make it. An incredible find.

Good luck in the search.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My safe is a 24 gun safe.....I currently have no room. Between 4 shotguns a whole crap load of rifles and handguns, i wish I wuda sprung for a bigger one.
    God Bless America!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Though, even with quality built safes, all you're buying is time.
    Took the words out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Though, even with quality built safes, all you're buying is time.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth.
    It's funny how they're called "safes". I really think they should be called "delays", however I'm sure the industry wouldn't think much of that idea. It is important to know what we're talkin' about, though, isn't it? Yup.

Layered defenses. How important that is is hard to ignore, since one without the other is often little better than doing nothing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have two 'delays', er, safes..a short one and a tall one (Brownings).
    I feel much better when I leave the house. They will keep out the typical idiot scum-bag breaking in and quickly looking for valuables.
    When we leave for periods of more than a day, we put bank files and other valuables in the safe with the weapons.

No such thing as a 100% guarentee...but I think they help a lot!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My house in Fayetteville NC was broken into in 1987 and my Browning Prosteel safe paid for it's self. The only gun the crooks got was my S&W Mod 49 Bodyguard. It was the house gun. I was sure glad that I had gotten the safe when I did. All I can suggest is get the biggest safe you can afford for the time and place where you are. They have a way of filling up and running out of room. I now have 2, 30 gun safes and a small 2, handgun safe for the bedroom.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I have a Zanotti on order...easy to disassemble and move, and provide needed protection.

See this thread for prices: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=31134

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sponsored Links