How to get a daughter interested in her personal safety

This is a discussion on How to get a daughter interested in her personal safety within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs Lima thanks for that post , I do have a clue what it cost you to post it , and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get a daughter interested in her personal safety

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Lima thanks for that post , I do have a clue what it cost you to post it , and respect you LADY for sharing your experience . IMHO you are right that there is not an " answer " for us as parents , we can talk and talk , and show , and do range days ect... When it came down to it tho on my daughters 21st birthday i asked her what she wanted , and she replied " Dad i can't afford my ccw licence " Needless to say the rest is history , and so are perpetual renuals lol . It will never cost my girl a cent to carry a firearm ( as long as i am alive ) and her duty in return is to find " that cowboy " ( i can change dress code myself ) and be happy as she can .

That is SOP, I have bought all my kids a CCW gun, payed for their class and permits for their 21'st birthday gift, and if I ever have any grandkids I will do the same for them, right along with their life NRA membership at birth.

Back on topic, it has been said take her to see some of the women that have been beaten, raped, abused, a good look at reality will help and try the NRA "Refuse to be a victim" class if you can.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    That is SOP, I have bought all my kids a CCW gun, payed for their class and permits for their 21'st birthday gift, and if I ever have any grandkids I will do the same for them, right along with their life NRA membership at birth.

Back on topic, it has been said take her to see some of the women that have been beaten, raped, abused, a good look at reality will help and try the NRA "Refuse to be a victim" class if you can.
    I'm doing that with my nephew who's 23. He just got a Basic Pistol Class paid for and the money for his lifetime permit will be provided after the class. I'll probably help him buy his first pistol too. I have to keep this away from my wife and his parents who wouldn't exactly be happy. But since he's an adult, living on his own, and living in a large city he needs some reality in his life.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

hey redneck repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    It will never cost my girl a cent to carry a firearm ( as long as i am alive ) and her duty in return is to find " that cowboy " ( i can change dress code myself ) and be happy as she can .
    Jeepers, wish you were my dad!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

@exactlymypoint

Just had to point it out, printing out Lima's comments and giving it to your daughter as a "point of interest", "just saw this and thought you might want to check it out" kind of thing... might do some good. Lima's testimony there is powerful stuff.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    It takes time.

When we were living in California where she was born and raised, I finally got my daughter to read the book "Strong on Defense" by Sanford Strong just before she left home for college. He isn't much for carrying guns, but the rest of the book is an excellent primer on how to stay alive in urban America. Highly recommended. She is a good student (HS and College Valedictorian). I was pleased to learn she read it a second time on her own.

You might want to read it yourself. It has some good input on training kids for bad situations.

She and we moved to PA. She has taken an NRA handgun course, has her CCW, though she doesn't carry. She does go to steel plate shoots with my wife and I. At least she has her GP100 where she lives.

Now, suddenly, she is moving to Rochester NY. It will be 6 months before she can apply for a permit for her gun, another 6 months to process it. She thought that was a long time to go with out anything but a baseball bat for HD. I thought so too.

Long guns are legal. She will have her new 20-Ga Mossberg 500 (with stock) for HD at her new residence, where ever that is, by the end of the week. She has arranged for training on how to use it. There is a retired SWAT training NCO at the range we visit - he will give her the instruction - I think I'll go listen and learn too.

I'm delighted. I think a shotgun is a great HD piece.

The standard defense load for that gun seems to be #3 buck. That'll work.

Fitch

As a previous sheep, I can say that I had to learn the hard way. No amount of talking worked.
    Sounds like you are trying to get through to her. She is old enough to volunteer in a hospital. Not only will she see some "stuff" she can also earn some volunteer points to get a scholarship. Kill two birds with one stone or something like that.

sadly, the only thing you can do is lead by example.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

The Channon Christian & Chris Newsome murder comes to mind when teaching people to look out for their own safety.

tell her she'll attracked more boys if she's a shooter. Then put a loaded shotgun behind the front door. You'll need it when the highschool boys start showing up in droves.

"And just what are your intentions for my daughter on this 'date'?"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    tell her she'll attracked more boys if she's a shooter. Then put a loaded shotgun behind the front door. You'll need it when the highschool boys start showing up in droves.
    Well, I have to disagree based on a sample of one. I was at an IPSC match. In my group was an absolutely drop dead gorgeous 16 year old blond girl who shot better than 90% of the men there. I asked her about boys. She said that she has no trouble attracting guys, duh, but once they found out she was a shooter they ran for the hills.

Right now my daughter has no boyfriends and I kinda like it that way.

I'd print out this thread and stick her in her room.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Right now my daughter has no boyfriends and I kinda like it that way.

I'm with you on that one!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

i had a freind that had a similar problem way back in the day. his daughter wasn't very big on being prepared. what he did was convince one of the riffraff in her class that he trusted to help drive the point. might work, might not, might result in you needing some rocksalt loads for that shotgun and a case of jolt(or a pot of strong coffee).
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links