Gun Buyback/Cell Phone Donations

This is a discussion on Gun Buyback/Cell Phone Donations within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Donating old cell phones to women's shelter's has been a noble cause for many years. I think that donating guns from the gun buyback programs ...

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue

Donating old cell phones to women's shelter's has been a noble cause for many years. I think that donating guns from the gun buyback programs would be very effective also.

As a social worker who has worked with this issue in the past. I can say the current suggestions and methods used to provide safety to abused women do lack the empowerment of self-defense. I followed the old methods over the years but today teaching women to be empowered by learning about firearms and effective* self-defense methods will be much more effective.

*Not the "crud" from the ISP website suggesting vomiting on them.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I would think giving guns to recently abused women would lead to revenge killings. Also, unfortuantely, most abused women give their husbands or boyfriends a second chance(or a third, fourth, etc) and having a gun introduced into that kind of situation could turn out very bad. Not to mention the fact that an abusive 'partner' is much more likely to have a felony, therefore the gun could possibly be illegal. I think pepper spray, tasers, and self defense classes would be more appropriate.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    I would think giving guns to recently abused women would lead to revenge killings. Also, unfortuantely, most abused women give their husbands or boyfriends a second chance(or a third, fourth, etc) and having a gun introduced into that kind of situation could turn out very bad. Not to mention the fact that an abusive 'partner' is much more likely to have a felony, therefore the gun could possibly be illegal. I think pepper spray, tasers, and self defense classes would be more appropriate.
    id have to agree with ya on that responce. i known some couples
    (ex or still together that issues got ugly at times.)
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Maybe I should clarify that the firearms would only go to those women who want them and their should be some basic training involved if inexperienced, and possibly a little cooling off period.

I am aware this thought may be pushing the boundaries but I do think many shelters and counselors don't do enough to empower women regarding their self-defense. Its usually get a restraining order and call the police. Neither of which are that effective.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I believe that if an abused woman is in a shelter and getting counseling, then giving her weapons training and possibly a weapon if she can legaly own one is a good thing. No one needs a means of defense more them a person trying to leave an abusive relationship. With proper counseling and training I don't think there is much danger of revenge shootings.

I was raised in an abusive family situation and have worked with many women trying to get out of abusive relationships. The most important thing is the women need somthing to give them confidence in themselves. Weapons training and other types of Martial arts training does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Maybe I should clarify that the firearms would only go to those women who want them and their should be some basic training involved if inexperienced, and possibly a little cooling off period.

I am aware this thought may be pushing the boundaries but I do think many shelters and counselors don't do enough to empower women regarding their self-defense. Its usually get a restraining order and call the police. Neither of which are that effective.
    I agree that many shelters don't do enough to empower women. This may be stereotypical, so correct me if I am wrong...I just kind of get the impression that women who are comfortable with firearms, own a weapon, and practice aren't the type of women who would be in an abusive relationship...so it would follow that the women who are at the shelter have probably never held a gun in their life.

I just don't know what a gun could do that pepper spray or a tazer wouldn't do...unless you think that just them having a gun would make them feel more powerful or empowered...and the people who feel more powerful because they have a gun are usually the ones that end up on the news, and being prosecuted for using excessive force. I just don't think guns and an emotionally unstable person are a good mixture.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Nice thought, but can you imagine the liability of a business/counsellor providing a weapon to someone and they used it?

Links