SWAT team terrorizes family whos 11yr son fell at school and didn't go to a hospital - Page 2

SWAT team terrorizes family whos 11yr son fell at school and didn't go to a hospital

This is a discussion on SWAT team terrorizes family whos 11yr son fell at school and didn't go to a hospital within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by TerryD The more I think about it the scarier it is. I couldn't imagine a SWAT team breaking down my door, guns ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SWAT team terrorizes family whos 11yr son fell at school and didn't go to a hospital

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    The more I think about it the scarier it is. I couldn't imagine a SWAT team breaking down my door, guns pointed at my family. Me and my wife both have pistols by our side while at home.

It would be a horrible event for BOTH parties involved. Cause my wife is trained by me, and we have worked out scenarios depending on where someone would come into our house.

This is just stupid, and asking for trouble. You shouldn't risk people's lives over something this dumb.
    I think the 1st thing we all did while reading that is we put ourselves in that position & realize how untenable the situation truly is....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    So the paramedic wasn't there when the kid fell... but he kept exaggerating the story and pushing buttons until he triggered a SWAT raid on the 'compound'? What a power-tripping mouth foamer! He should be sued for traumatizing the kids, falsely reporting a crime, et cetera. I'd make him buy a new door and pay for all the hospital bills too.

Does anyone actually think the state should have the power to kidnap children based on hearsay?

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    So the paramedic wasn't there when the kid fell... but he kept exaggerating the story and pushing buttons until he triggered a SWAT raid on the 'compound'? What a power-tripping mouth foamer! He should be sued for traumatizing the kids, falsely reporting a crime, et cetera. I'd make him buy a new door and pay for all the hospital bills too.
    Yep. I agree 100%.

Does anyone actually think the state should have the power to kidnap children based on hearsay?
    Nope, but depending on the state, couldn't an EMT's report be considered "expert testimony", therefore not hearsay?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Sounds like the Sheriff/SWAT team leader may have a Lt. Howard Hunter complex. Some of you younger guys may not remember Hill St. Blues.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Somehow I think some information is missing. For a trained Paramedic to go to that extreme?
    I have some mixed feelings about this. I once cared for a 2 yr old whose dad was throwing her up in the air...just happened to be under the ceiling fan. Severe cranial fractures and lacerations needed to be repaired. They were forced to take the child to the ER where she was rushed to surgery. They did not "believe in modern medicine" and were members of a strict religion that believed in faith healing. The parents took their anger out on me in the recovery room and refused for the girl to get any pain medicine. If any of you have seen an inconsolable toddler, you know how stressful this can get. These were educated people! But, there is the question of whether parental or religious rights should be violated by the goverment. I think if the child was going to DIE without treatment then this would have still been too much. To have SWAT come in to remove the child? This could have been prevented by a home visit. If someone did this to me, I would sue too. And for the boy to be discharged right after?
    Sounds to me like prejudice against the family's lifestyle/religion.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Strange,leaves me speechless.

The sheriff said the decision to use SWAT team force was justified because the father was a "self-proclaimed constitutionalist"
    Well, I guess that means most of us can expect the same type of treatment.

Good God, what has happened in parts of this country where this type of behavior by the "authorities" is acceptable.

And perhaps this father might have a talk with his neighbors about them minding their own business in the future.

I suggest he sues the city and he also names the nosy neighbor who started this whole thing by calling the paramedic in the first place. And surely name the stupid paramedic who really is responsible for this. That jackass should be out of a job right now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Has anyone seen this posted on the mainstream media web sites, or newspapers?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Nope, but depending on the state, couldn't an EMT's report be considered "expert testimony", therefore not hearsay?
    Well this is my point, Pete... WHAT could he have testified to? That an 11 year old boy fell on his head and showed no signs of concussion?

The paramedics were allowed to see the boy, and found no significant impairment, but wanted to take him to the hospital for an evaluation anyway. Fearing the hospital's bills, the family refused to allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Has anyone seen this posted on the mainstream media web sites, or newspapers?
    Oh yeah, it is WND... could be a hoax.

And where are all of the NKW apologists on this one? Jeez, it's all for the officers safety. I want to projectile vomit not only hearing about this, but seeing that there is no general outcry at the way he was treated. You like the constitution, we are going to pee all over those rights you think you have, smack you and put you back in your place (the trailer park).

I hope he owns the freaking city after a lawsuit!!!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Oh yeah, it is WND... could be a hoax.
    The story is unbelievable on the surface. No city is mentioned and the scenario is completely ridiculous. I did a quick google search and not a single legitimate web site came up. (One of them was ronpaulforums )

The report is nonsense.

Mainsteam media participates in "hoax"....

Or maybe some of you just need to eat crow.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/Tom.Shif....2.625138.html

Officers Raid Home, Take 11-Year-Old To Hospital
    NEW CASTLE, Colo. (AP) ― A tactical law enforcement team broke into Tom Shiflett's home and took his 11-year-old son to hospital for court-ordered medical treatment for a minor head injury.

Garfield County's All Hazards Response Team raided the home Friday night, a day after Jon Shiflett fell after grabbing the handle of a moving car. The child was returned to the family at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, hours after the raid.

"Inappropriate is not nearly strong enough a word. It was gross irresponsibility and stupidity," said Ross Talbott, owner of the Apple Tree Mobile Home Park south of New Castle who rents to the Shifletts and who witnessed the raid. "Is this Russia? I don't know what we're coming to when they think your kid needs medical help and they send a SWAT team."

In the end, the injury wasn't as severe as caseworkers from the Garfield County Department of Social Services thought when they went before a judge seeking a search warrant and order for medical treatment.

The doctor recommended fluids, Tylenol and ice to treat the bruises, according to a copy of Jon's patient aftercare instructions.

Tom Shiflett, 62, who said he served as a medic in Vietnam, had told authorities that he had the skill to treat his son.

Garfield County sheriff's spokeswoman Tanny McGinnis said two deputies were first sent to notify Shiflett of a court order for his son's medical treatment and that Shiflett did not comply.

Caseworkers who visited the family Friday reported seeing injuries that including a "huge hematoma" and a sluggish pupil.

Six of Tom and Tina Shiflett's 10 children still live at home.

"In all there was not one shred of evidence found that we had done anything wrong or that Jon had not been properly cared for at home," Tina Shiflett said.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Mainsteam media participates in "hoax"....

Or maybe some of you just need to eat crow.
    Don't be rude. Legitimate pursuit of proof isn't an issue of "crow". It's an issue of proof. A strong case can be made that one story on often-crank web sites isn't sufficient; nor are uncorroborated AP Wire stories not otherwise appearing anywhere else, such as in the home town (or nearby) of the victims.

Well, here are some corroborating stories, from area newspapers within a few miles of New Castle, CO:
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have seen a number of posters as
    much as call WND liars and hoaxers.

WND was challenged as a legitimate source.

Corroboration has been found.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links