OSU......Welcome to the SEC!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on OSU......Welcome to the SEC!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Spanking!!!!!!!!!!!! Even I feel sorry for "THE" osu! Oh yea......welcome AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSU......Welcome to the SEC!!!!!!!

OSU......Welcome to the SEC!!!!!!!

Spanking!!!!!!!!!!!! Even I feel sorry for "THE" osu!

Oh yea......welcome AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Are we missing a link or pic somewhere
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Are we missing a link or pic somewhere
    Not at all!!!!!! Unless you are a OSU fan......

0 for 9 aginst SEC in bowl games........that's not a good stat at all

GEAUX TIGERS!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    As an SEC fan myself (TN), I'm under the impression that SEC teams have not faired all that well overall in bowl games. Anybody got any stats on that?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Well, Tangle, when your whole conference is playing in Bowl games, you're bound to lose a few!

With 5 teams in the top 15 (including 1 and 2), and 10 of 12 teams with winning records (all the more difficult because they all play each other!), I think the SEC can lay a pretty solid claim to the toughest/best conference out there right now...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, Tangle, when your whole conference is playing in Bowl games, you're bound to lose a few!

With 5 teams in the top 15 (including 1 and 2), and 10 of 12 teams with winning records (all the more difficult because they all play each other!), I think the SEC can lay a pretty solid claim to the toughest/best conference out there right now...
    +100

In nine bowl games the SEC won seven and lost two. Arkansas and Florida were the two who lost.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Number 9 FL lost to an unranked MI team, I don't know...

Furthermore, GA at 2 is a joke, they didn't even win their division.

The way I see college football this year is that it was filled with a bunch of mediocre teams. Lots of two loss teams could have lobbied to have been in the title game.

Finally, nothing will ever get resolved until a playoff is implemented a la every other professional and amateur sport. Unfortunately, this will not happen with the greed of the NCAA. As far as I'm concerned the bowls (all 32 of them) are a sham and college football ends after rivalry week.

Solution: Top 12 "ranked" teams make a playoff. Home field to higher ranked team. No reseeding. National Title game at neutral site. A real neutral site too, not this LSU in the Superdome or GA in GA Dome neutral site garbage.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Senior Moderator
    I wasn't just meaning this season; seems like in a lot of past seasons, the SEC teams' performance wasn't as stellar as expected - maybe too much expectation???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Number 9 FL lost to an unranked MI team, I don't know...

Furthermore, GA at 2 is a joke, they didn't even win their division.

The way I see college football this year is that it was filled with a bunch of mediocre teams. Lots of two loss teams could have lobbied to have been in the title game.

Finally, nothing will ever get resolved until a playoff is implemented a la every other professional and amateur sport. Unfortunately, this will not happen with the greed of the NCAA. As far as I'm concerned the bowls (all 32 of them) are a sham and college football ends after rivalry week.

Solution: Top 12 "ranked" teams make a playoff. Home field to higher ranked team. No reseeding. National Title game at neutral site. A real neutral site too, not this LSU in the Superdome or GA in GA Dome neutral site garbage.
    Yes, FL lost. Seven of nine (hey, wasn't that the hot Borg on one of the Star Trek spin offs?) won. That ain't too shabby.

As for GA being a joke - they DID end up at the top of their division (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=61, and keep in mind that the conference championwas a little team from Baton Rouge... Name another team that could have won their division if their division was the SEC East!

I agree that a playoff is needed - but why 12 teams? How about a number that is a factor of 2 (4, 8, 16) in stead? I think the BCS (8 teams) should be the first round, then two more games. You'd still have squabbling from that 9th and 10th ranked team, but it'd be a lot better than what we have now...

Tangle - the SEC is 39-22 in bowl games since 2001.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I agree that a playoff is needed - but why 12 teams? How about a number that is a factor of 2 (4, 8, 16) in stead? I think the BCS (8 teams) should be the first round, then two more games. You'd still have squabbling from that 9th and 10th ranked team, but it'd be a lot better than what we have now...
    I like the idea of 12 for a couple reasons. First, more teams is better. Especially with the increased paradoy in college football. It's no longer the same 5 or so teams duking it out each year. Second, along the lines of teams squabbling who are on the bubble. If you put more teams in, say 12 vs. 8, then the 13th ranked team has less of an argument than say the 9th ranked team to be included in the playoff. If you want 16 teams so be it, but that brings me to my last point. Lastly, having 12 teams gives the top 4 a first round bye and keeps the incentive to play all your games. This theory is to refute the people who say a playoff would water down the regular season.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Fair enough, but 12 stretches it out another week, and a longer season is what many anti-playoff folks claim as their justification. ("It would hurt the academics!" As if you can mention college football and academics in the same sentence and not be an utter hypocrite.)

One idea that has been floated is the conf. champs from the big 6 conferences, plus 2 at-large teams. That would make some pretty heated races for those two slots - I don't think anyone would "throw" a game if they were in contention. Personally, I think that conference champs are overrated - there are more than 2 SEC teams that had a legitimate claim to a top 8 spot, for instance, and why punish teams that have a conference championship game? That's just one more chance for the team to lose, against a quality opponant, that other conferences may or may not face.

Senior Moderator
    ...As for GA being a joke - they DID end up at the top of their division...
    GA's record was the very same as TN's in the conference, 6-2 and TN beat GA convincingly, that's why TN played in the SEC championship game instead of GA. GA did have a better overall record, but my goodness they played Hawaii in a bowl game - a gimme win.

Nevertheless, I don't see how any of that makes GA a joke. They were ranked on their overall record for the most part and they had a good record and a good year.

Tangle - the SEC is 39-22 in bowl games since 2001.
    I presume that's significantly better than other conferences????

In all honesty, I think the SEC rankings would be better if the balance in the SEC weren't so equal. That results in more losses within the SEC than a conference where there are one or two dominant teams - in that case the dominant teams suffer fewer losses and may get 'inflated' higher national rankings.

VIP Member
    Exactly, Tangle. It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to come out of the SEC unscathed - there are just too many good teams. Even the 'second tier' teams have been spoilers for some of the franchise teams recently... You make USC play against Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, and so on every year and see if they run the table - or even come out with less than two losses.

And I don't think Hawaii was THAT much of a gimme - they were undefeated after all. Now, UH just doesn't play in the same types of games that the 'major' conferences do, but 11-0 is still pretty good, and they CRUSHED most of the teams they played. That GA crushed them in return is another testament to the strength of the SEC right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links