Dog shoots owner, dog must have been very mad (merged)

This is a discussion on Dog shoots owner, dog must have been very mad (merged) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320926,00.html HOUSTON A tracking dog apparently stepped on a loaded shotgun in the bed of his owner's pickup truck, firing a fatal blast into ...

Thread: Dog shoots owner, dog must have been very mad (merged)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320926,00.html

HOUSTON A tracking dog apparently stepped on a loaded shotgun in the bed of his owner's pickup truck, firing a fatal blast into the man's thigh during a goose hunt, officials said.

Perry Alvin Price III died Saturday at a hospital from severe blood loss from his femoral artery shortly after the freak accident in southeast Texas.

Chambers County sheriff's investigators said Price, 46, was hunting on a lease near Stowell, about 60 miles east of Houston, when he shot down a goose.

Price then set the gun in the back of his truck and was about to open the tailgate to release his tracking dog when the shotgun fired, investigators said. The blast penetrated the truck's tailgate before hitting Price.

Paw prints from the dog, a chocolate Labrador retriever named Arthur, were found on the muddy shotgun, Sheriff Joe LaRive said. Daniel Groberg, Price's hunting partner, said he tried to stop the bleeding with clothing before driving him to seek help.

"It's the strangest case that I've seen," LaRive said. "We couldn't talk to Perry and Groberg was at the front of the truck when he heard the shotgun blast and didn't see what happened."

Price's sister, Patricia Payne, said her brother was always very careful while hunting.

"His dog was so excited," she said. "He was jumping all around, because he was about to get out and go get that goose.

"That gun had to be knocked around just right to fire. I believe the dog knocked the safety off and hit the trigger, too," she said.

Price, who taught math at Robert E. Lee High School in Baytown, was known for his love of hunting and dogs, friends and family members said.

Earlier this school year, Price developed an award for especially determined students that included a T-shirt naming them "Bird Dog of the Week," said Melanie Turner, a fellow teacher.

"His loss will be felt for quite some time," Turner said.

LaRive said hunters should be extra careful to make sure the safety is enacted on any gun that's not immediately being fired and that barrels should always be pointed away from people when guns are stored.

Price's survivors include his wife, Kelli, and two stepchildren, Payne said.

I for one am just trying to wrap my mind around the logistics that lead to this guys death. Outside of all kinds of hunting safety rules this guy broke...I wonder if the particular model gun this guy had allowed for this type of thing to happen??? If so, what do you all think? What are your thoughts in general?

I am leaving the US for good! I will not live somewhere where they issue a dog a license to hunt hunters. (By the way, did the dog bag his limit??)
    Seriouse, I dont beleive it one bit. Sorry, to me it sounds fishy. Sounds to me as if someone wanted this to happen.
    Just my .02
    Think twice
    Buy once!

wow. even with the safety on. interesting.

I am a bird hunter and yes it happens. I guarantee any time you lay down your shotgun in the field or similar environment, your dog will step on it. A pump or semi laying on it's left side will have the safety pointing up. The dog steps on it and catches a toe or toenail on it and it goes off.

I upland hunt with a sxs and always break open the action when the need arises to lay down my shotgun.

A similar incident happened in Iowa opening weekend of pheasant season.

Dave

well if this is true and the safety and trigger could be activated using a paw, then maybe we should notify the rifle manufacturers and see if they can somehow dog proof a gun. Of course the bulk of the safety relies on the owner.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

VIP Member
    Maybe a 5 day waiting period on buying a hunting dog is needed! I wonder if tyhe dog had attended a hunter safety education course.....probably not, otherwise he would have known not to step on the trigger until he was ready to shoot!!

Its dogs like this that give hunters a bad name. I will bet no one done a background check on the dog either!
    Think twice
    Buy once!

maybe the dog wanted to be vice president and decided to follow dick cheney's example.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Thats another reaso to carry your sidearm with you when hunting. At least you could attempt to take the dog with you.

Overall though, what a freak accident with deadly consequences.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Dog Shoots and Kills Owner

Got to keep your paws off the trigger.

Wait a tick...

He was bird hunting, right? So he probably had some type of birdshot in the gun (or at least, not buckshot or slugs). And this gun supposedly discharged in the bed of the pickup, shot THROUGH the tailgate (which has two layers of 1/16th inch steel and some braces), through his clothes, and caused a big enough wound in his thigh to kill him via blood loss?

I dunno about you guys but I've never seen birdshot penetrate/damage like that. Not to be a skeptic, I'm sure the story is true, but damn. I wonder if he had buckshot in the gun or something.

Too bad. I bet the dog felt horrible :(

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I hope they don't have a "zero tolerance policy" on dogs using guns...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He was goose hunting so probably #4 or #2 shot. At that range (assume 6" from the tailgate) I would not doubt birdshot going through a tailgate.

Sponsored Links