What does your screen name mean?

This is a discussion on What does your screen name mean? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm curious as to what some of your screen names mean. Some are obvious, but some are not. I'll start with mine - my nickname ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What does your screen name mean?

What does your screen name mean?

I'm curious as to what some of your screen names mean. Some are obvious, but some are not. I'll start with mine - my nickname and the first gun I owned (replaced it with a 1911 for carry).

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I like hollowpoint bullets and my name is Hank! Simple!

Lead Moderator
    Just my old standby nickname since high school.

Because my name is Ted and I live in Kentucky.

Administrator

Talking I'm REALLY curious about a few forum names myself.

My CombatCarry.com name
    Search: Q K Shooting or Quick Kill Shooting or Instinctive or Point shooting on the web.
    "Q" meaning Quick - Kill Meaning in a "Not Slow" or quite rapid manner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh...I forgot...my card:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 13th, 2005 at 11:16 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Tangle - my dog's name - she's a full blooded CLP (Cute Little Pest). I named her Tangle because when I first got her she kept her leash or herself tangled in my feet. I use her name as a reminder of a loyal and faithful friend.

VIP Member
    I pulled my name from the title of one of the funniest movies I've ever seen:

Disclaimer: If cursing puppets and frat-house humor are not your thing, then you should probably avoid this movie....
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I chose mine because once upon a time when I was stationed in SoCal I had a longboard & a wetsuit. My best friend had the '57 Nomad! Friends & I spent every spare moment at the beach.....Surf's UP! Two bottles of Strawberry Hill was a big night around the fire.

Then I got married, reenlisted, became conscious of my status as a "Career Oriented Marine", had kids....it was all downhill from there.

Despite my many yrs in military service, there stiil beats the heart of a footloose and fancy-free nonconformist 16 yr old in there....somewhere!
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

the real important question is...What happend to the nomad?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh - funny - Dirkster I was also gonna other day post this very question! It crops up on most boards and is always interesting. I assume you are in fact Dirk.

Mine is totally transparent - except wildly out of date!! When I joined THR in Jan 2003 soon after its inception in late 2002 - I did indeed use my P95 as daily carry. I should then have transmogrified thru M85Carry, SP-101Carry, M28Carry, BHPCarry - up to now being SIGCarry or 226STCarry or such!

QK - I had wondered on yours - nice to know the rationale. I had wondered if perhaps your name was Quentin Kaboom or similar

A few I hope will post yet ... Bumper - what made you choose yours?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Last I heard in '73 the Nomad made it back to PA when Petey's hitch in the Marines was up.

Lost track of him after that. Darn shame!
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

VIP Member
    Uh, I don't know, why this screen name.

-Scott-

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    I pulled my name from the title of one of the funniest movies I've ever seen:

Disclaimer: If cursing puppets and frat-house humor are not your thing, then you should probably avoid this movie....
    Dont forget puppet sex man is that movie funny i think we should have the theme song from the movie as the theme song for our armed forces

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    i think we should have the theme song from the movie as the theme song for our armed forces
    "Terrorists, your game is through,
    'cause now, you have to answer to,
    America...F*** Yeah!!"
    Last edited by Team American; September 1st, 2005 at 05:54 PM.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I made a thread explaining mine but it was while back. Search can't find it.

Euclid was a Greek mathmatician who lived from about 325 BC to 265 BC. Basically the quick version is that there is Euclidean geometry and non Euclidean geometry. In Euclidean geometry one assumes that one and only one line can be drawn through a point parallel to a given line.

Euclid also used a series of "common notions" or axioms in his arguments such as this:

Things which are equal to the same thing are equal to each other.
    Of course today we'd call that the transitive property.

He's my favorite mathematician because his work explores the logic of every day life. He also pioneered the idea of an objective proof, that is a way to prove a statement with irrefutable, airtight logic.

Of course one of the quandaries his work presents is how hard it truly is sometimes to make a valid and logical argument.

The other interesting facet of his work is that Euclid assumed space was homogenous and that points in space do in fact actually exist. There is no way to prove or disprove these beliefs but I agree with Euclid's view of the universe if for no other reason then it seems self evident to me that his basic assumptions are quite necessary in order to find any meaning in the universe at all.

Of course Euclid's work was expanded on and completed in the 1800s and we've created lots of non Euclidean geometry over the centuries too.

It's long been debated whether or not the universe we live in is actually Euclidean because of the theory that space is curved, etc. However I believe that it is because on the practical every day level, you could not do something as simple as frame a house without assuming that all right angles are equal to each other. While it's true that we could ignore some of the self evident axioms that define Euclid's work, it creates a system which is not terribly useful in many contexts and in the end we always come back to Euclidean geometry.

That's the same way I look at politics and life in general. Some things are self evident truths that we cannot prove or disprove them, but to function we have to abide by them anyway or else we'd accomplish nothing.

In the context of this forum, in any situation save for a deafeatist fantasy, I am safer and more prepared armed than I am unarmed whether or not any danger is apparent. That's my personal axiom. I can't objectively prove with hard numbers that I'm safer or less safe when I compare being armed to being unarmed.

However on the intuitive level, an unarmed person cannot address many threats than an armed person can. Therefore I am better off armed because being armed covers more contingencies than being unarmed.

My second axiom is that this basic condition must apply to all people if it applies to me. And we go from there...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links