Victimized by Vulture Taxi's Long Island

This is a discussion on Victimized by Vulture Taxi's Long Island within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just got off the phone with my girlfriend (she is 29). She is returning from her holiday vacation and just landed at the Islip Long ...

Thread: Victimized by Vulture Taxi's Long Island

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Just got off the phone with my girlfriend (she is 29). She is returning from her holiday vacation and just landed at the Islip Long Island Airport. To catch the train back to NYC, there is a 3 mile taxi or shuttle ride to the train station...

So she just related her story to me: It was 9:55 pm she was in a rush to catch the 10:10 pm train. Waiting for the next train would mean another hour in the cold. There are several Long Island Taxis waiting at the terminal, but say the fare is $30. Being a resident and having taken taxis before she knows the fare is $5. They were lying to her and breaking the law! She and another man going on the same train negotiate with the driver and pay $10 each and go. She made the train.

Long Island Taxis are vultures and she knows it! Taxis are vultures everywhere!

What bothers me is she blindly got in a dangerous taxi: a driver she knew was lying to her and put her faith and safety in his hands. She didn't even write down his license plate, medallion, or his name to make a complaint!

She allowed herself to become a victim of his price gouging and failed to take the info needed to make a complaint. I believe that she, as a local resident, has a duty to help keep these taxi drivers honest.

Residents must not allow themselves to be victims and must report crimes or bad guys are allowed to run free.

I should also mention that last year, a friend of hers (also a girl in her 20's) was taking a taxi on Long Island to her home and was sexually assaulted. I'll spare you the details. Granted it was traumatic for her, but she failed to get his license plate #, name, or even call the police. Her roommates called for her, but she had no info to give and didn't want to peruse it out of embarrassment.

If only my girlfriend could see that if locals don't help regulate these vultures then there is no one to stop them. Before I get into any taxi, I write down the plate #, the drivers name, company, and medallion. I take a clear look at the driver and ask the price to where i am going and how long it will take. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid an occasional taxi ride around here. So its a danger she and I have to face.

Sorry for the long post, just ranting a little. I think i will have a talk with her and try to get her to see the light. Considering that I actually like her and want to keep her, anyone have any tactful ideas on how I should bring it up with her?

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Taxi drivers are like this all over the world. When I was in the Canary Islands, we had to take Taxis from port into town and we quickly found out that the rate was flexible depending on the driver. It was like this in every port we went to, but the Canary Islands were the worst. One time, four of us just got in a cab and when he told us the fare, we told him what we would pay
    (which was what we had paid the day before), and it was only half of what he was charging. He told us to leave and we refused. We made him take us to town at the reasonable fare. We didn't threaten him, we just refused to leave and kept telling him what we'd pay. He eventually gave up and drove us there, mumbling the whole way.

In reality, she was victimized by her own blind trust in others. Hopefully she will get to the point she realizes a few security steps are required for many activities previously considered normal, and certainly at all times in situations where you're placing yourself into the (even temporary) care of someone else such as a taxi.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm not sure, but I think taxi's are a private business. If they want to hire drivers who make up their own prices, that's their deal. If the city is paying for the taxis its a different story, but I doubt that.

As for living in a known dangerous city with your right to self defense restricted...my sister lives in NYC, and I don't like it one bit. I would never live there. JMO

Austin

Has anyone though of just taking their number and filing a complaint? Do that enough times and they could loose their license.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

That would be Long Island Islip McArthur airport and she needed to get to the Ronkonkoma station. $5.00 sounds low to me. $10.00 sounds more reasonable for the ride.

Was he a real cab or a gypsy? If real then she should have gotten his info and reported him to the airport as well. They have a vested interest in people getting to the station with a minimum of hassle. There is also no need to stand in the cold for an hour there. The station has a perfectly warm waiting area she could wait in.

it happens here on drum. certain cabies have been known to charge a signifigant amount more than the companies actual price for a trip. they mostly seem to do this to new guys that haven't learned to memorise the price charts for the main cab companies.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Just got off the phone with my girlfriend (she is 29). She is returning from her holiday vacation and just landed at the Islip Long Island Airport. To catch the train back to NYC, there is a 3 mile taxi or shuttle ride to the train station...

So she just related her story to me: It was 9:55 pm she was in a rush to catch the 10:10 pm train. Waiting for the next train would mean another hour in the cold. There are several Long Island Taxis waiting at the terminal, but say the fare is $30. Being a resident and having taken taxis before she knows the fare is $5. They were lying to her and breaking the law! She and another man going on the same train negotiate with the driver and pay $10 each and go. She made the train.

Long Island Taxis are vultures and she knows it! Taxis are vultures everywhere!

What bothers me is she blindly got in a dangerous taxi: a driver she knew was lying to her and put her faith and safety in his hands. She didn't even write down his license plate, medallion, or his name to make a complaint!
    I do not live in a taxi city but it would certainly bother me more that she shared the cab with a complete stranger than the excessive cost. Is that normal?

I don't even want to suggest the dangers she might have put herself in.

I was in India once and negotiated to 100 rupees. When we got there and I gave him 100 rupees, he said I owed him 150. I said we negotiated to 100. He tried getting 50 more. I just got out and walked away. He tried to follow. I let the hotel shoo him away.

I have only been in a cab in the United States once. When I was in it they had a meter so you could see what the charge was. Don't all cabs have that?

As a tourist I would hope that the locals would keep these folks in check. No one like to get over charged.

Now in Mexico they tried to charge way more for tourists than locals. My g/f would talk yell at them that they were over priced and told them X amout or we would take the bus. We always got it down to a few bucks to go around. It help that she lived there for 4 months for school.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Sorry if my post was not clear enough, I will clear up some questions:

I'm not sure, but I think taxi's are a private business. If they want to hire drivers who make up their own prices, that's their deal.
    Nope, not on Long Island at least. They are highly regulated by the law, companies that own the vehicles, and the dispatch.

Has anyone though of just taking their number and filing a complaint? Do that enough times and they could loose their license.
    Yes, that was my main point. Sorry if it was hidden in the long post. I am mostly upset she didn't get the medallion number and file a complaint.

Long Island Islip McArthur airport and she needed to get to the Ronkonkoma station. $5.00 sounds low to me.
    Yep, ISP to Ronkonkoma. $5.00 is the base fare. Both she and I have done it at least a dozen times. Just to triple check, I called the taxi dispatch and they confirmed it.

There is also no need to stand in the cold for an hour there. The station has a perfectly warm waiting area she could wait in.
    The last time I was there, they locked the station waiting room at night? At any rate, it still sucks to have to be delayed another hour...

I do not live in a taxi city but it would certainly bother me more that she shared the cab with a complete stranger than the excessive cost. Is that normal?
    Yup, Taxi's on Long Island are allowed to pick up multiple fares (different people you share). You nearly always share a taxi ride with someone who is going close to your destination. NYC taxis are not allowed to have multiple fares.

I have only been in a cab in the United States once. When I was in it they had a meter so you could see what the charge was. Don't all cabs have that?
    No. Cabs in New York City have the meter you mention, but most other places I have seen don't. It is a good a good way to keep the drivers honest. Long Island taxi's don't have them.

As a tourist I would hope that the locals would keep these folks in check. No one like to get over charged.

Yes! Exactly my point! Locals must keep these folks in check and I am upset my girlfriend didn't!

thanks for all your comments...

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Links