Wild Javelinas Chase Down Residents - Page 2

Wild Javelinas Chase Down Residents

This is a discussion on Wild Javelinas Chase Down Residents within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They are great for bow hunting. I took one in 2000 on the Calahan ranch in South Texas with my recurve bow, cleaned it like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They are great for bow hunting. I took one in 2000 on the Calahan ranch in South Texas with my recurve bow, cleaned it like I would any other game and put it in my smoker for 12 hours. Tasted as good as any pig I've smoked. The little sucker had fleas on it when I stuck it with an arrow and I had to spray myself and take a shower afterwards. There were a lot of guys that took them and didn't eat them but I enjoyed it. They are great bow hunting targets. They can't see well but you can spot them a long way off and stalk them if you just pay attention to the wind.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    They are great for bow hunting. I took one in 2000 on the Calahan ranch in South Texas with my recurve bow, cleaned it like I would any other game and put it in my smoker for 12 hours. Tasted as good as any pig I've smoked. The little sucker had fleas on it when I stuck it with an arrow and I had to spray myself and take a shower afterwards. There were a lot of guys that took them and didn't eat them but I enjoyed it. They are great bow hunting targets. They can't see well but you can spot them a long way off and stalk them if you just pay attention to the wind.
    AH yes...the Lone Star Bowhunters Shootout, every Feb. Was always a great time. They make great BBQ also. When Tuck had the bow/taxidermy shop he'd have a tournement and BBQ feed every spring. Hmmmmm....come to think about it, it is almost that time of year again. Wonder if the wife would let me go this year!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    AH yes...the Lone Star Bowhunters Shootout, every Feb. Was always a great time. They make great BBQ also. When Tuck had the bow/taxidermy shop he'd have a tournement and BBQ feed every spring. Hmmmmm....come to think about it, it is almost that time of year again. Wonder if the wife would let me go this year!!! LOL
    There were 15 of us the year I went and the weather was a bit too hot for great hunting. I was the only one out of the 15 that got one and I was hunting traditional with a recurve bow. My head kind of swelled after that. In other times they have had great harvests. I wish it wasn't 600 miles from here or I'd be going a lot more often. I've got some friends that go after the bow hunt with rifles and shoot all kinds of hogs and javelinas. I think they got a bit carried away with the shooting and got in trouble one year. They were considered unsportsman in the way they shot and left game on the ground. Buck Fever Bob was one of the guys. You probably remember him Archer51. I think they had to skip a year or as least have a ranch hand stick with them for the next trip.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Oh yea, I so want to go and do that. I have been working on getting myself a tag along invitation with my friend to do it in New Mexico.

The other thing I want to do is Boar hunting. I have a chance to do it in Georgia, just need to make the proper arrangements with Ft. Sumpter.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    LOL....yeah I know Buck Fever Bob.

Used to hunt 'em with handguns down in deep South Texas. I used my Ruger Blackhawk .357, hand-loaded with 175 grain cast semi-wadcutters. Lots of fun! Not that bad to eat, if cooked right -- slow, with lots of smoke.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

A friend of mine was Deer hunting last season near Laredo, Tx. He shot his deer and watched it stumbled into the brush. He waited a bit before getting out of the deer blind and going into the brush to retrieve it. Well about 10 yards into the brush he comes across a group of Javelinas. They spotted my friend and began to charge. Any one with common sense would have been carrying their rifle and maybe a sidearm with them but this guy had left his rifle in the deer blind. He got back into the deer blind in just enough time. By this point another friend of his had seen what was going on and fired a shot dropping the biggest Javelina and in the process scaring away the rest of the group. Needless to say that was a lesson he won't soon forget. By the way, that friend of mine now carries a sideram along with his hunting rifle while hunting.

IMHO being armed is a must while entering the brush.
    "Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition"

Walking into Laredo brush one doesn't only have to watch for Javelinas... can any say BIG rattlesnakes! A side arm is a MUST!

What I've noticed about Javelinas is not so much a tendency to charge you but when you spook a group of them which ever way they are pointing that is the way they run. Even if it's right at you. By the way the previous post is right about the rattlesnakes. We killed a bunch of them while I was there. We had a doctor with us that had a great eye for spotting them. We could have 4 ATVs drive right past them and he would hollar, we'd stop and sure enough he had found another. We couldn't carry firearms and it was pretty funny watching 6 guys missing a rattlesnake with bows at 4' distance. I had a pair of snake tongs and would just grab it and slide my knife down the shaft to cut the head off. I don't believe in handling them with bare hands, ran into to many snake handlers that have been bitten.

And that is why...

When I am in the Desert (just north of Phoenix N Bumble Bee) I carry the HK with a full mag of nice heavy lead with two spare mags one full of Gold Dots, and one with FMJ (all R 12 round). Those critters are very dangerous can and will leave you bleeding and mostly dead. BTY the first round is a SS for snakes.

EDIT: only a absolute California Moron would go out in the wild with out a loaded gun!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    Ive never spent much time in the south west... so I got a question; Why would you kill a rattle snake that wasnt a specific threat?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I've ate the only rattlers I've kiiled. They taste great.
    Unless its a Timber Rattler with a spectacular hide,worth getting, I'll leave them alone otherwise.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    When I am in the Desert (just north of Phoenix N Bumble Bee) I carry the HK with a full mag of nice heavy lead with two spare mags one full of Gold Dots, and one with FMJ (all R 12 round). Those critters are very dangerous can and will leave you bleeding and mostly dead. BTY the first round is a SS for snakes.

EDIT: only a absolute California Moron would go out in the wild with out a loaded gun!
    Bumble Bee, Bloody Basin Road, and east to Seven Springs is Javelina heaven. If you want to hunt those sinky critters, that's the place!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I ran into a pack of 6 or 7 in Bloody basin during Quail season last fall, I called my dog (Ruger) to heel, and watched them very closely as I loaded a Fiocci explosive round in the shotgun, when they got about 30 yrd form us I let 'er fly.It landed in front of them and exploded, the last I saw of them was a dust trail as they headed over a ridge. The downside was that it also flushed a covey of about 25 birds that I had been chasing for an hour.#$@%$!! We loaded up and went up to Mayer/Green valley to finish our day, shot enough Quail for dinner and went home. Javelina are about the smelliest things on earth. The biggest ones that I have seen are around Prescott, they are everywhere over there.
    Last edited by flagflyfish; January 13th, 2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling/grammer
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links