Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette

This is a discussion on Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 1) How did the kid know where it was? 2) It wasn't secure? 3) Loaded and not easily accessible? 4) Culpability of the parents? Personally, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    1) How did the kid know where it was?

2) It wasn't secure?

3) Loaded and not easily accessible?

4) Culpability of the parents?

Personally, I hold the parents responsible and they should be held accountable.

Rick

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Unfortunately kids do not understand they are not invincible. I don't blame the parents , the kids intentionally went and got the gun. They were old enough to know better and what could happen. The learning curve is steep with guns, which is why more elementary training is needed for all kids.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Well, I'll add one more:

How did the kid know how to unload/operate the weapon? Hummmm

Rick

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    How is it an accident when you put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger? I think we should invent a new word for this sort of thing: stupidentally.
    +1
    My thoughts exactly!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Well, I'll add one more:

How did the kid know how to unload/operate the weapon? Hummmm

Rick
    I appears he didn't, at least properly......
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Kids will always do what they shouldn't. It is up to the parents to proprely secure any and all fire arms. All long guns and the majority of hand guns should be in a gun safe. The ready gun should be placed in a mini vault, close at hand. Yes we should continue to drill and train our kids on fire arm safety, but the stakes are higher now than when we were younger. Peer pressure, video games and dumb choices can cloud everyday common sense. Don't ever take any chances. I have an 11 and 16 year old who are properly trained. But in the rare event that my wife and I are out of the house at the same time, I don't have to worry about any gun "accident". Yeah I know that the kid put the gun in his mouth and fired, but he trusted his life to his friends. Don't depend on trust to save a life. Discipline, training and safety are the only way. Be confident in the knowledge that when you leave your home, your firearms are safely locked up from you kids, their friends or any thieves.
    Last edited by armado; January 12th, 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The learning curve is steep with guns, which is why more elementary training is needed for all kids.
    Interesting idea. Communist countries used to do military drills and firearms training in elementary school. Not sure if any still do. It sounds like a good idea for everyone to have basic firearm training. I think it would help reduce this sort of accident.

we could update the 3 R's:

Reading, Writing, and Range time
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am not jumping on this stupid parents bandwagon. It appears that they took reasonable precautions with the gun. What about those of you that keep one on the nightstand. The gun was in a cabinet in the parents bedroom and the kid was 14, not 4. At 19 in NM he can legally walk around with a gun on his side and in many states he could at 14. So now we are wanting to lock parents up beacuse they didn't put the gun under armed guard like in DC.
    Good point. I think back to when I was 14. There is no way that anyone could have kept a firearm from me if I had wanted to get to it. I would have figured it out some way.

I often think back and say there but the Grace of God go I. On the other hand, I also recall the numerous safety lessons that my father constantly taught me for many years:

1. Always treat guns as loaded, even if you are convinced for an absolute fact that it is unloaded.

2. Never point an unloaded gun at anyone.

3. Keep your finger off of the trigger of an unload gun.

[Of course these rules also apply to loaded guns, but my father believed that most "accidents" of this type happened as the result of an "unloaded" gun.]

In spite of my youthful curiosity, I think that my father's training made such an impression that I would never have stuck an unloaded pistol in my mouth.

I think this points out that, for those of us that have kids (or had kids) in the house, that its not your kid you have to worry about. Because, hopefully, you have taught your kid (although this particular kid maybe doesn't show much good sense to have gotten the gun out and "unloaded" it) but its the other peoples kids that have not been taught that you have to worry about. They come into your home and have had no such training. These situations, even if your are confident you have trained your kid, are why thats not enough. You can't train every kid nor can you be sure when one of them may enter your home. You can't really ever have them secure enough for that situation other than in a Safe where your the only one can get to them. Hard to do. But there are a lot of kids out there that your Son or Daughter may bring home with them, when your not there, that know nothing about guns and are curious about them and may bring peer pressure upon your kid to get them out. Even when you have taught them better. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Good point. I think back to when I was 14. There is no way that anyone could have kept a firearm from me if I had wanted to get to it. I would have figured it out some way.

I often think back and say there but the Grace of God go I. On the other hand, I also recall the numerous safety lessons that my father constantly taught me for many years:
    When people say didn't you do so-and-so when you were young? I reply you better believe it and that is what scares the #### out of me now.

A teenage boy accidentally shot himself to death this week playing Russian Roulette, his family said.
    For my money, the lead should read: A teenage boy purposely shot himself to death..

The gaping hole in his medulla might have ended his life, but it's his stupidity and lack of sense that killed him. As for his math skills, perhaps he should have paid better attention in class when the teacher covered the topic of probabilities.

Condolences to the families involved. Perhaps they can do better with the next in line.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 12th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Tragic, useless, stupid.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I understand, did you keep one on your nightstand before they were 18?
    No I did not. I hate to admit it but I was one of the sheep up until last year.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Nothing accidental here.
    He placed a gun into his mouth, and pulled the trigger.
    Suicide.

- Janq
    This much I agree with

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    How is it an accident when you put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger? I think we should invent a new word for this sort of thing: stupidentally.
    Only if he shot himself in the teeth.

Accidental suicide best describes it, IMHO.

As for the parent, I would like more information. Seems, though, for someone to keep a loaded gun nearby, there should be some warning system which would awaken him. Had a BG been rooting around in his bureau, the gun-owner could easily have been the victim. I keep mine next to my bed and have the dog and an alarm to awaken me. The parent is at least guilty of negligence and failure to live in condition orange.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Tragic, useless, stupid.
    +1 My thoughts exactly, but you beat me to it.

Education about firearms is a step toward prevention. Obviously, his father didn't educate him about firearm safety and his son paid with his life.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links