Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette

This is a discussion on Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If it hadn't been this, he'd have been huffing gas or paint, or he would have sneaked the car keys and a bottle of tequila. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette

If it hadn't been this, he'd have been huffing gas or paint, or he would have sneaked the car keys and a bottle of tequila.

The kid who swiped daddy's gun is gonna lose daddy's house.

--Travis--

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Personally, every time I cluck about the Darwinians getting their just rewards, a little birdie reminds me of some incredibly stupid things I have done in my life: three times with a gun, countless times in a car, and one so stupid I'm still too embarrassed to mention it - 35 years later. All of this to say I try and be a little slower these days at pointing the finger at foolishness, especially with such heart breaking results. Oh, and the gene was passed on as I have seen both our sons, now grown, do stupid things as well. Fortunately, not with guns.

We have Airmen over regularly and often they are married with kids. I go through a routine of emptying guns, locking them and hiding them up high. Even still, I am never a hundred percent at ease.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    There have been any number of threads, at least three very recently, about storing guns at home. At the risk of generalizing, there were a lot of people on this board who said something along the lines of, "Yeah, I keep one loaded on the nightstand/headboard/dresser, but my [minor] children know better than to touch it!"

I am not disagreeing with any of those people because, frankly, I don't know them and don't know their kids. There is a chance, though, that the homeowner here felt just as confident that his son 'knew better'. And, nonetheless, another kid is dead.

There is negligence here. Assuming the police have no reason to believe that the homeowner's son deliberately handed his friend a loaded weapon with an encouragement to play Russian Roulette, there is only negligence, and that negligence attaches to the owner of the gun. If his state has laws concerning storage of guns when minors have access, he may be criminally liable but, sure as heck, he is civilly responsible for the wrongful death of his son's guest, as Janq pointed out.

The dead boy's parents may not sue. From the article, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they don't. But they certainly could and I can't even begin to imagine a jury that would not find in their favor...

All in all, this is a tragedy, brought on by the folly of youth, to be sure, and very possibly also by the willful negligence of the gun owner in failing to train his son. If you are one of those folks who just knows your kids could never do something like this, please use this story as an excuse to go over the rules again and maybe think once more about whether you are satisfied leaving it out and loaded as opposed to in a quick-vault of some type right next to the bed.

Isn't this the same thing that was rumored to have happened to Johnny Ace? Stupidity is all I can say. My wife and I have 3 total handguns. Each of us has our carry gun by our side, or under the pillow, or in the bathroom when we bath. We never leave it out. The 3rd one is locked up in a metal lock box and placed inside my metal file cabinet we use for business which also stays locked. Only 2 keys for each, and we both keep them with our auto keys.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

When I was a kid growing up, my Dad had me shooting by the time I was 8. I had my own shotgun by the time I was 12. We shored 3 shotguns and ammo in the living room closet. My dad taught me the differance between real and play. I never played with them. As He said... You have toy guns to play with.

As my kids grew up I had about 20 WW2 sniper rifles on the wall for disply. I taught my kids to shoot from the time they were about 10 up. I used the same line my dad used....You have toy guns to play with.

If the kids grow up with them around they are nothing special. When they are hid and not know about is when kids get in trouble, as they do not know what can happen.

My brother, sister or me never got in any trouble with guns. We all hunt and provide food for our famils over the years, both my kids have never had trouble with guns.

A gun is what you make of it, like any tool it can be dangerous if handled incorrectly. You need to teach them how to use them.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I wonder if kids, and most adults really understand what a firearm can do, and what it means to take a life. I don't see it really. A lot of people know they should be upset, but till they see someone or something (animal) die as a result of a shooting, do they really understand? And by the way, the hunting shows don't help in this regard- the death is usually a bubba celebration. I know I didn't get it at 14. It sunk in with my first deer, and still keeps getting reinforced. Does anyone else feel that way?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    How is it an accident when you put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger? I think we should invent a new word for this sort of thing: stupidentally.
    a lot of good points here. obvious and expected (that was a compliment.) but i think this word could be incorporated enough to close out a lot of unsolved issues.

it's a complex way of thinking it "thins the herd" but i've heard/seen worse.
    What's this button do?

I don't like speaking bad of kids but this was a stupid mistake caused by poor training. I knew when I was 8 years old that guns weren't toys and needed careful handling.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links