Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette

This is a discussion on Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Farmington Daily Times - Teen accidentally shoots himself playing game AZTEC — A teenage boy accidentally shot himself to death this week playing Russian Roulette, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teen Kills Himself Playing Russian Roulette

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Farmington Daily Times - Teen accidentally shoots himself playing game

AZTEC — A teenage boy accidentally shot himself to death this week playing Russian Roulette, his family said.

Anthony R. Pacheco, 14, was sleeping over at a friend's house in Aztec. Around 1 a.m. Sunday, the pair got a .38 special revolver belonging to the friend's father, according to Aztec Police Capt. Troy Morris.

"One kid took the bullets out and spun the chamber and handed it to Anthony," Pacheco's grandmother, Ann Alfrey of Stokesdale, N.C., said. "He put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger."

The boys thought they'd removed all the bullets, she said, but one remained. The shot killed Pacheco instantly.

The gun is kept in an 8-foot-high cabinet in the parent's bedroom. How the boys got it without waking anyone is unknown.

"That's kind of sketchy," Morris said. "The gun was housed at a separate place, and we don't know how he or the son got it out."

The death is being treated as accidental.

Pacheco was born in Pleasanton, Calif., and grew up in Stokesdale. He'd moved to Aztec, where his father lives, about a year ago, his mother, Lesa Alfrey, said.

"Anthony loved to help people, he was such a good-hearted kid, always giving stuff away ... he loved his friends," said Lesa Alfrey, 41, of Stokesdale. "There was something about that boy that people loved. He always made us laugh, he had us rolling."

He went to Aztec High School and liked skateboarding, bike racing and music.

Survivors include his mother, father, Gary Pacheco and sister, Amber Pacheco of Stokesdale.

"I feel sad, I feel hurt, I feel angry, just all of the above," Ann Alfrey said. "And I feel very, very sorry for the kid that was with him. His dad is a really nice person, and he's just as devastated as we are."

Pacheco's mother said she hopes her son's death can be a lesson to other parents who own guns.

"I'd like to tell other parents that if they own a gun, please lock it up. Kids will be kids and they don't think," she said. "Tell your kids you love them because they might not be here tomorrow. Anything can happen."
    Obviously the owner of the gun did not teach his kid about guns and gun safety. Here in CT the gun owner would be charged, not sure about New Mexico.

Very sad situation for all involved.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Stupid kid, stupid parents for improper storing of a firearm
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    Stupid kid, stupid parents for improper storing of a firearm
    Sad story, totally agree with what you said...

VIP Member
    BG's are not the only ones who GDBS...(got dead being stupid)
    Kids will be kids and they don't think

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    teenage boy accidentally shot himself to death this week playing Russian Roulette

How is it an accident when you put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger? I think we should invent a new word for this sort of thing: stupidentally.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I am not jumping on this stupid parents bandwagon. It appears that they took reasonable precautions with the gun. What about those of you that keep one on the nightstand. The gun was in a cabinet in the parents bedroom and the kid was 14, not 4. At 19 in NM he can legally walk around with a gun on his side and in many states he could at 14. So now we are wanting to lock parents up beacuse they didn't put the gun under armed guard like in DC.

May the Good Lord help those in need.

Nothing accidental here.
    He placed a gun into his mouth, and pulled the trigger.
    Suicide.

As to the parents they should be dinged for improper storage of a firearm.
    A completely avoidable situation which is inexcusable.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am not jumping on this stupid parents bandwagon. It appears that they took reasonable precautions with the gun. What about those of you that keep one on the nightstand. The gun was in a cabinet in the parents bedroom and the kid was 14, not 4.
    I keep a loaded weapon on the nightstand every night. The difference is, my kids are over 18, have had firearms safety repeatedly drilled into them, and hopefully I don't have to worry about them doing something similar to this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    A front runner for the 2008 Darwinian awards. I personally feel kinda strange when cleaning a revolver, and having to look down the muzzle to check the barrel. I know the cylinder is swung out, or removed and the gun is safe, but it still gives me a strange feeling.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am not jumping on this stupid parents bandwagon. It appears that they took reasonable precautions with the gun. What about those of you that keep one on the nightstand. The gun was in a cabinet in the parents bedroom and the kid was 14, not 4. At 19 in NM he can legally walk around with a gun on his side and in many states he could at 14. So now we are wanting to lock parents up beacuse they didn't put the gun under armed guard like in DC.
    FN,

He's 14 and a child, not 19 which is an adult.
    No states allow children to carry firearms.
    Possession of a firearm by a child require adult supervision. In this case there was none.
    Federal law mandates that ownership of a pistol is limited to persons age 21 and over. Carry of a firearm is toward a pistol not a long gun, to which the minimum for that is 18.
    The parents having a child in their house are responsible for the well being of their child _and_ any other children that might be in their home.
    The firearm being placed unlocked and with it's ammunition in a cabinet is not reasonable nor a precaution. The boys at their age are atleast 5'5" tall. The gun being 8' up is not a stretch. Especially as together they would be able to move a chair to go and take hold of the gun. My 32 lb. 5 yr. old can and does use chairs to gain access to things she can't otherwise reach.
    In DC firearms are not lawful to own at all, that were not registered prior to 1972. Those that were are required to be stored safely to prevent unauthorized access. Not applicable in any way to this situation. Never mind that most every state in the union has laws indicating same toward storage as toward specific unauthorized unmonitored access by children.
    The gun was not a bedside gun and even if it was it still needs to be locked up considering there are children of these kids age in the home. The reason why is obvious, because neither boy could be trusted to have common nor survival sense. Those people here who do have bedside guns very often state they do so and do not have children in their home.

The parents need to be dinged by the law.
    If the kid were my boy I'd be suing them as well for wrongful death, and I'd likely win in most any state even as my kid willfully killed himself.

All of us gun owners need to educate our children toward firearms and their proper handling.
    With that education proper responsible means of storage is required as well. It's nothing against our freedoms to act and be reasonable, safe, and secure.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    When I was young we lost a friend playing russian roulette.At the time ,there was a movie the teenagers were copying.I believe it was deer hunter.I remember it was a shock.Why would kids take such risks ? You are holding
    all the cards allready why risk it? This is what I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I keep a loaded weapon on the nightstand every night. The difference is, my kids are over 18, have had firearms safety repeatedly drilled into them, and hopefully I don't have to worry about them doing something similar to this.
    I understand, did you keep one on your nightstand before they were 18? I guess my point is that I constantly hear on this board an others about exercising 2A rights, so many complaints about the age restrictions on purchasing guns, calling any training requirements to get a CWP stupid and all these arguments until when something like this happens so many immediately jump on the parents. In many states there is no minimum age for a person to carry a gun and some consider this great yet when a 14 year old does something like this we are horrified and start talking about he was just a kid.

One thing I learned long a go is not matter what restriction you put on something and no matter what the laws are someone is going to do something extra. Just like the Tiger at SD it didn't matter how high the wall was it wasn't going to be high enough if something happened. If you put your gun in a safe and the kid finds out the combination you are going to be criticized. I had to investigate a case of a sailboat mast hitting an overhead powerline. We met and exceeded all codes and laws. However we had to pay off because we should have known that it wasn't high enough. A well trained idiot is still an idiot and to make something idiot proof just requires a bigger idiot.

AZTEC — A teenage boy accidentally shot himself to death this week playing Russian Roulette, his family said.
    ac·ci·dent [ak-si-duhnt]
    –noun 1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.
    the pair got a .38 special revolver belonging to the friend's father,
    2. Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.
    "One kid took the bullets out and spun the chamber and handed it to Anthony," "He put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger."
    3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.
    The gun is kept in an 8-foot-high cabinet in the parent's bedroom. How the boys got it without waking anyone is unknown.

Sad. Tragic. Heartbreaking. But not an accident.

Joe

According to opencarry.org there are at least 4 states (NH, ME, MO, WY) that have no age limit to Open Carry a firearm and 2others (AK, MT) that require a person to be 14. I don't know the exact laws but I take it that they are correct.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links