Ugh...dumb dog

This is a discussion on Ugh...dumb dog within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dumb dog + Dumb owner + shallow, stagnant pond = a royal pain in the hindquarters! Nothing to ruin a good weekend like your dog ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh...dumb dog

Unhappy Ugh...dumb dog

Dumb dog + Dumb owner + shallow, stagnant pond = a royal pain in the hindquarters!
    Nothing to ruin a good weekend like your dog jumping into a shallow stagnant pond and tearing it's knee joint. Man talk about sad. I have a pitbull that's about a year and a half that just tore up her knee today while I was out chopping firewood(no, I didn't chop her knee off with the maul). Ended up having to take her to the 24 emergency vet clinic up the road. I had to carry her outside this evening for her to do her business. Took her out ...4 deer standing 15 yards from her and she just snubbed her nose and hobbled back over to me to take her in. Definitely out of character. Now I get to look forward to a potential $2k+ surgery bill if the tear doesn't heal on it's own. Either way, a grumpy and in pain pit is no fun.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I hate to see my dogs hurt, its almost as bad as when a child is hurt.

I know carrying her out is a pain, but I'm sure she would do the same for you if she could.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    It sucks. It's not like you can explain to them what's happening, or they can tell you.

Our dog was hit by the UPS truck a couple of years ago and broke her hip. Both the bones coming across holding the two sides together snapped. The vet just made sure all the bones were close enough to heal and then gave her pain killers, antibiotics, and arthritis medicine. He told us we could spend $2500-$4000 getting pins and screws put in, or let it heal on it's own. He said it would heal just fine without the pins and screws. Here it is two years later, and she runs and jumps and catches balls and frisbees just like before the accident. But even without the surgery, it still cost us $700.

VIP Member
    Here is one of my labs. The 1st pic is him recovering from a shotgun wound. He was hit by 9 pellets of buckshot. His rear leg required pins & bone graph. He lost a little more than an inch of the upper leg bone. The wound on the upper back is what caused the second surgery a couple of years later.

The 2nd picture is this past Christmas recovering from the removal of a 2.5 lbs. lipoma caused by the prior wound.

One striking thing is the difference between the swelling & tissue bruising of the 2 pictures. The 1st one there is a lot of swelling & bruising, the second very little swelling & NO bruising. Big difference between gunfire & a doctor's scalpel!

Warning- pics are a little graphic!
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Awww... sorry for that this happened. Had to go give our dog a big hug just now. :)

I'm with ya packinnova......my 4 month old husky/retriever dug a hole under the neighbors fence and the neighbors boxer broke 5 ribs on her left side. Dumb dog....she knew the boxer was there, and he bit her up pretty good too.
    Our local vet hooked my puppy up with pain meds but the ribs were beyond him so off to the 24 hour "doggie hospital" down in Jacksonville. Many $'s and a whole lotta' tears from my two daughters and thier momma the puppy made it home. My pup ain't happy, but no jumping, running,....nuthin! Even carrying her outside....VERY carefully......to 'take care of business'.

goawayfarm....that's just rough. My heart goesout to your pooch.
    Last edited by goldshellback; January 12th, 2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: saw goawaysfarms doggie pics
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I dunno. I think I'd almost rather it was just a broken bone or something that we could splint and let it heal. As it stands it looks like she tore the tendons in her knee(cruciatis - not sure of the spelling) which is iffy for healing on it's own, especially in a big musclebound dog. Supposedly without it the knee won't bend properly again because it needs those two tendons that criss cross to hold the knee in place.

Oh well, my arms are getting a nice workout heaving a 70-80lb pit around. Guess I can call that my new workout plan.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Year before last I spent $1300 to have a tendon replaced with monofilament line in my German Shepard. He blew it out on some ice covered steps. It took about 6 months for him to completely heal and get used to the fishing line in his leg - today you would never know that it had ever been hurt. He is worth ever penny.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    packinnova, you're right a broken bone like my dog had is much better and easier for it to heal on it's own. Your dog tore it's ACL or MCL or possibly both. That's the same injury that sidelines professional athletes for over a year, if it doesn't end their career. Those don't heal well on their own.

But, to this day, my dog hates the UPS truck. She goes nuts every time she sees one.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Goawayfarm...who shot your dog?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Goawayfarm...who shot your dog?
    A neighbor, he had been having some trouble with wild dogs killing his goats. My lab has gone off chasing a fox that he caught in one of the barns & chased it over onto the neighbors property (about 1/2 mile). He had apparently gotten into the creek bordering our properties & gotten muddy so he looked a little like one of the dogs (that I later killed, while eating one of my chickens!). He then followed the trail thru my neighbors yard, where he got popped!

The bad thing was, my neighbor had asked me a week or before what he should do about the wild dogs & I told him to use buckshot....oh, well....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Y'all need toread the Trouble for Trouble thread. Seems that this forum is split on what to do with pit bulls.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-trouble.html

Me, I'd like to think I can judge a dog on its individual merits. Hopefully with people too.

Hope your dog gets better.

Next dog I get, I will consider buying Pet Health Insurance. The present fur-face has cost plenty: Two trips to Cornell and $1200 to repair a defective ligament when he was about 6 months, then when 6 years old, dental surgery to remove a benign tumor ran $1800. That would have bought some new dog or two, or better yet, additions to the arsenel!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

VIP Member
    I got a German Shepherd from the Policia Federal down here - he flunked out of the drug sniffer program and they wanted to get rid of him. "What a deal for me," I thought - free dog, already pretty well trained, complete with collar, leash, and a big bag of food! Well, three weeks later he slipped on sime tile and got a radial fracture (several, actually, his leg was in 4 pieces) of his right hind leg. After a few thousand dollars in surgeries, that "free" dog was feeling mighty expensive...

The good news is that, a year later, you'd never know that he has 4 plates and a dozen screws in his leg!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Y'all need toread the Trouble for Trouble thread. Seems that this forum is split on what to do with pit bulls.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-trouble.html

Me, I'd like to think I can judge a dog on its individual merits. Hopefully with people too.

Hope your dog gets better.
    Curios as to "what to do with pit bulls" has to do with one being injured while playing? Please don't believe all the media hype. It's as bad with pits as it is with firearms.

-The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links